Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_20170210_164753.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  495.1 KB
    I need help with q7... I tried to change the limits in terms of x but I was getting the same number!!! How am I supposed to change them
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pondsteps)
    I need help with q7... I tried to change the limits in terms of x but I was getting the same number!!! How am I supposed to change them
    Correct, you get the same number so it is like cancelling itself out.. however, the graph in the first part is supposed to give you an idea as to how you can integrate it

*At least I think so, I haven't attempted it

ReputationRep:
    I haven't sketched the curve out but I'm assuming the limits are different and you're doing something wrong.

To find the new limits:
    Sub x limit into equation of t^2 - 1 and same for other x limit and find new limits for t.

Use the chain rule to make it all in terms of t and integrate.

Remember dx/dt * dt is dx.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone pls explain to me part 8bi and ii.. Why is it y>0 and y<0 .. I don't understand the whole question :/
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Can someone pls explain to me part 8bi and ii.. Why is it y>0 and y<0 .. I don't understand the whole question :/
    When t is 0, y is what value?

With this in mind, if t is greater than 0, what range of values can y take?

Use the parametric equations rather than trying to figure it out from the graph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    When t is 0, y is what value?

With this in mind, if t is greater than 0, what range of values can y take?

Use the parametric equations rather than trying to figure it out from the graph
    Ohh right.. But why are we using the y and noy the x

ReputationRep:
    I just trued it for the x and for iii I got x<-2 but that isn't possible because that's not even part of the limit!! Why did I do wrong ? The y part worked fine but idk why the x isn't working SeanFM
    (I mean the limit of the x from the graph not the t)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I just trued it for the x and for iii I got x<-2 but that isn't possible because that's not even part of the limit!! Why did I do wrong ? The y part worked fine but idk why the x isn't working SeanFM
    (I mean the limit of the x from the graph not the t)
    Easy mistake to make, but it is not x<-2. It is actually x>-2. Can you see why?

ReputationRep:
    Easy mistake to make, but it is not x<-2. It is actually x>-2. Can you see why?
    Does the sign flip when we square?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Does the sign flip when we square?
    If I had the graph y = x^2 - 2 for all values of x, what is the stationary point? And is it a minimum or maximum?

If I limit it to just x<0, is there any difference in the stationary and minimum or maximum point?

Now what does this have to do with your t<0 situation?

ReputationRep:
    If I had the graph y = x^2 - 2 for all values of x, what is the stationary point? And is it a minimum or maximum?

If I limit it to just x<0, is there any difference in the stationary and minimum or maximum point?

Ugh I'm so sorry I understood what ur saying but I don't know how it relates to our case! I feel quite dumb
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Ugh I'm so sorry I understood what ur saying but I don't know how it relates to our case! I feel quite dumb
    It is identical, just doesn't involve parametrisation.

Our situation is that we have t<0 and x= t^2 -2.

This is just like saying y = x^2 - 2 where our x = the y in our example and our t = the x in our example.

Or if you want to look at it again, what different values can x take when t<0? This is in x = t^2 - 2.

We know that at t=0 (which is not part of the domain) x = -2.

Keeping this in mind, if we choose random and easy values t<0 such as t = -1, t= -3, x = -1 and 7 respectively. So we can see that since x^2 will always be a positive number and since x can never be -2 exactly because t<0 doesn't cover t=0, so we can conclude that x > -2.

You can also draw a graph of y = x^2 - 2 where x < 0, it is identical to our situation.

ReputationRep:
    It is identical, just doesn't involve parametrisation.

Our situation is that we have t<0 and x= t^2 -2.

This is just like saying y = x^2 - 2 where our x = the y in our example and our t = the x in our example.

Or if you want to look at it again, what different values can x take when t<0? This is in x = t^2 - 2.

We know that at t=0 (which is not part of the domain) x = -2.

Keeping this in mind, if we choose random and easy values t<0 such as t = -1, t= -3, x = -1 and 7 respectively. So we can see that since x^2 will always be a positive number and since x can never be -2 exactly because t<0 doesn't cover t=0, so we can conclude that x > -2.

You can also draw a graph of y = x^2 - 2 where x < 0, it is identical to our situation.
    So we just switch the sign if it doesn't satisfy the limits
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    So we just switch the sign if it doesn't satisfy the limits
    No... there is a reason why the sign is the way round it is.

Try rereading what I said, ask questions if anything is unclear, plot the graph of x = t^2 - 2 for t<0.

If you are stuck after those things then let me know.

ReputationRep:
    No... there is a reason why the sign is the way round it is.

Try rereading what I said, ask questions if anything is unclear, plot the graph of x = t^2 - 2 for t<0.

If you are stuck after those things then let me know.
    I didn't understand this part!!
    I just don't get why the sign is flipped ughhhhh
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    When t=0 you have (-2,0) as a point

When t&gt;0 you have x=t^2-2&gt;-2 \Rightarrow x&gt;-2

and y=2t&gt;t&gt;0 \Rightarrow y&gt;0

Then for t&lt;0 what do we have??

What's confusing?

ReputationRep:

Okay I understood this part.. There is no change..And?

ReputationRep:
    Okay I understood this part.. There is no change..And?
    Firstly, did you understand why when t > 0, y > 0 and when t = 0, why y = 0?

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping you understand my solution here because I have really simplified what others are saying above using different concepts, hopefully a simpler approach:

The parametric equation is x = t^2 - 2...
    If you draw that graph out, it is x = t^2 and then translated 2 downwards. Think of it was y = x^2 but with the variables replaced and y = f(x) so in this case x = f(t). If you do x = f(t) - 2 you will get x = t^2 - 2 which is a translation of f(t) or t^2 by 2 units downwards (down the y/vertical-axis).

What you've got to realise is that x = t^2 graph is symmetrical because b^2 = 4ac , it has two equal roots of 0.
    Therefore, when you translate it 2 units downwards - it is still symmetrical. So, if when t > 0, we have acknowledged that t^2 - 2 > 0, then when t < 0, t^2 - 2 will still be > 0 because the graph is symmetrical - it is a reflection in the line t = 0 or the x-axis. I hope that makes things clearer, it is a symmetrical graph and therefore x > -2 when -∞ < t < ∞, t ≠ 0. This is the same as t > 0 or t < 0 lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chittesh14)
    Firstly, did you understand why when t > 0, y > 0 and when t = 0, why y = 0?
    Yeah you just substitute in the zero and put the sign right

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.