Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am going on holiday in April but I can't decide between Milan (Italy) or Marseille (France). I am only going to be going for about 3 nights and I was wondering has anyone visited these places? What's your opinion? Cheers
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Milan is much prettier, and has much more to see. Marseille is a bit of a dump, a Mediterranean dump, but a dump nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    Marseille has traditionally been considered quite run down but they have done a lot of regeneration work in recent years and now it's very hip with lovely bars and restaurants while still in keep with that working French city traditional vibe. Also it's on the med so naturally that's a plus.

Milan in my experience was grey, expensive and rude. Yes it's a global fashion centre but unless you have lots of £££ to spend on a nice hotel, expensive shopping and the expensive bars and restaurants then Milan is definitely not a good option for the standard visiter. Attractions are thin on the ground, prices are outrageous, while Italy is famous for its foodie scene, it's more southern Italy based. The city is grey and industrial with a lack of green spaces. If you find yourself in Milan the best thing to do is leave and go to the beautiful Lake Como for a truly authentic Italian experience.

I'd go to Marseille

ReputationRep:
    I'd honestly go to neither.

There is pretty much nothing to see in either city apart from a big church and a football stadium. Both are expensive to boot.

If you've never been to Italy, go to Florence or Rome. Still expensive, but much more to see and do, and a far better atmosphere than Milan. If you've been to both, head south to somewhere like Catania. As for Marseille, I'd suggest Nice as a slightly better French alternative. In my opinion the entire Côte d'Azur/Riviera is slightly overrated.

ReputationRep:
    Milan any day. Italians are so much friendlier than the french

ReputationRep:
    Madagascar

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McG1)
    Milan in my experience was grey, expensive and rude. Yes it's a global fashion centre but unless you have lots of £££ to spend on a nice hotel, expensive shopping and the expensive bars and restaurants then Milan is definitely not a good option for the standard visiter. Attractions are thin on the ground, prices are outrageous, while Italy is famous for its foodie scene, it's more southern Italy based. The city is grey and industrial with a lack of green spaces. If you find yourself in Milan the best thing to do is leave and go to the beautiful Lake Como for a truly authentic Italian experience.

I'd go to Marseille
    I live in Milan so can provide some insight.

First of all, it's not as grey as London and much less expensive. The climate in April should be ideal.

It's the food capital of Italy, with the highest number of starred restaurants. You can enjoy any kind of cuisine and there are great inexpensive/moderately expensive restaurants and exceptional expensive ones. The differentiator isn't actually having money, but knowing where to go! This doesn't apply if you plan on eating with 10£. The South of Italy thing you said is irrelevant because many chefs from the south open restaurants in Milan (supposedly for money laundering) so you can definitely get great Neapolitan pizza and Roman specialties.

As for fashion, yes there are super-expensive shops, but I guarantee you that in the centre you can find every brand, from Zara to LV, and they all sell at their fair price (not sure with current EUR/GDP but probably it's still more convenient than UK). Obviously, the city becomes insta-fun if you have the funds to go on a shopping spree in Monte Napoleone, Corso Como, Galleria and Rinascente at Hermés, Rolex, RL, etc. But that is true for any city.

The most entertaining part, apart from dining and shopping, are the bars and clubs, you can take an aperitivo on terraces facing the Duomo Cathedral or on beautiful rooftops that give you a sight of the whole city skyline. Prices at these places are on average 15€ a drink+some food and entry in the best, fancy, clubs (without bottle/table but with a drink) is about 20€.

I think that attractions focus on architecture (Duomo Cathedral, to visit both inside and on the top, Galleria, piazza Gae Aulenti with Unicredit skyscraper, "Bosco verticale" (a prize-winning eco-skyscraper), Castello Sforzesco with Sempione Park), then "museo del 900" and "Pinacoteca di Brera" for art, and there are always interesting art/science exhibitions and events on contemporary design and fashion.

I do agree on the fact that it's a city that can be experienced at its full potential only by who has money, but for 3 nights and on a normal "trip budget" you should be perfectly able to afford it, unless you were planning a low-cost holiday.

Note: I don't know much about Marseille and although I like Milan, I perfectly know that it's not on par with Rome for touristic purposes, unless you are looking for something more European and modern.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tara_Mc)
    I am going on holiday in April but I can't decide between Milan (Italy) or Marseille (France). I am only going to be going for about 3 nights and I was wondering has anyone visited these places? What's your opinion? Cheers
    I went to Marseille once and found it was really nice

ReputationRep:
    Milano

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Marseille, very nice down but it's only worth seeing in the summer. In the winter might be a bit boring.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.