Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should students be allowed to wear make-up to school? watch

• Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    I don't think many teenage girls would be comfortable with that.
    Its been ok for decades. They will live. School is partly learning about rules and working within an organisation, not a make-up academy

ReputationRep:
    I don't think wearing make up should be a reason for expulsion, that's just ridiculous however I do think that a certain amount of make up is inappropriate for schools but I'm not sure about whether or not it should be regulated. On one hand it has nothing to do with the student's education and really it isn't the business of the school but on the other hand it could put pressure on girls.

In my school make up was completely banned and teachers would either send you to the bathroom to wash it off or would give you a make up wipe (you then had to report back to the teacher to prove it was all gone.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Its been ok for decades. They will live. School is partly learning about rules and working within an organisation, not a make-up academy
    Wearing a little bit of make up to cover up 'bad' skin or acne isn't really a detriment to anybody. If a strictly enforced no-makeup institution outperformed schools that allow make up, then you'd be onto something.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Wearing a little bit of make up to cover up 'bad' skin or acne isn't really a detriment to anybody. If a strictly enforced no-makeup institution outperformed schools that allow make up, then you'd be onto something.
    If you have a genuine medical reason then go to the headteacher. If they allow some then someone else will want more, much easier to have none and focus on actually learning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    If you have a genuine medical reason then go to the headteacher. If they allow some then someone else will want more, much easier to have none and focus on actually learning.
    I still don't see how it detracts from the learning experience. What is a distraction, however, is excluding this poor girl and embarrassing her like that. What good will come of this?

As long as what you do isn't a detriment to the schools reputation, what you do outside of school hours, including getting ready in the morning; it's not really any of the schools business?

I'd agree with a uniform policy that suggests excessive make up (with clear guidelines for what constitutes as excessive) is forbidden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    They should be free to do as they wish.
    I don't normally agree with you but you are spot on.

ReputationRep:
    We aren't allowed to wear makeup in my school. Its not necessary to wear makeup in school, although it can bring self confidence/decrease self consciousness.
    With that it might encourage people to be more social and out there, to participate more in classrooms and extra curricular just because of that little confidence booster.
    However some may end up putting excessive makeup and waisting allot of time on their makeup every day just to keep up with everyone else or the newest trends. It could also create a situation where one is not comfortable in their own skin because they get used to a full face of makeup everyday.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as long as its simple and basic. School kids don't need to over do it with brows, contour etc.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I still don't see how it detracts from the learning experience. What is a distraction, however, is excluding this poor girl and embarrassing her like that. What good will come of this?

As long as what you do isn't a detriment to the schools reputation, what you do outside of school hours, including getting ready in the morning; it's not really any of the schools business?

I'd agree with a uniform policy that suggests excessive make up (with clear guidelines for what constitutes as excessive) is forbidden.
    Because if you have rules on make up then other girls will break those rules, so extra hassle enforcing that. Theres also the issue of girls trying to outdo each other, with some wearing more expensive make up than others. School is for learning, its simpler to have a no make up rule, just like schools have had for many years. Children havent suffered.

In the case of the OP, the school has rules. Attending the school means agreeing to those rules. If they cant then they should find another school that caters better to their needs. Its good preparation for the world of work. If she feels it is that important then she should be home schooled or go to college and take make up courses. Why do todays pupils need to be so much more precious than previous years?.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ngl her brows look... wrong :lolwut: - maybe they should teach pupils about eyebrows :/

ReputationRep:
    You should be allowed to wear natural looking makeup. I think she shouldn't have been excluded for wearing makeup.

ReputationRep:
    I think year 10s and 11s should be allowed to wear make-up, so long as it looks natural.
    The people in my year group were incredibly judgemental so I felt like I had to wear make-up to not be singled out.
    It was funny when a group of girls used to call me ugly and then as soon as I started wearing make-up, they came up to me like "awww you don't need to wear make-up" . Hahahaha f*** off .

ReputationRep:
    There's no need for it, The secondary school I went to banned it in the last two years I was there and made girls remove it if they were caught with it on.

Spoiler:
    Show

but that girls eyebrows tho :sogood:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Our school only allows natural makeup, and I think that this is good.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see anything wrong with wearing make up to school, as long as they're not sat there applying it in the middle of lessons or it's distracting them from learning. Make up can help with self-confidence which can only be a good thing, surely? I think wearing lipstick and winged eyeliner etc is pointless but it's not worth excluding someone over.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.