Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most read members - last 30 days Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    How are they predictable?
    insomuch as those users who create threads which have a lot of views (like UWS) are likely to receive a fair amount of rep - they're going to be the more active users on the site, and UWS also has over a 100 followers. More followers = more reps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenhasdreams)
    Quick 'n' dirty top 10 most repped in the last 30 days (hopefully Captain Jack won't tell me off)

Attachment 618552

UWS jneill Rhythmical serah.exe the bear hezzlington Willy Pete WoodyMKC saraxh Mathemagicien
    I've not been on too much these last couple of weeks either :lol: Step it up TSR...
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    I was more thinking:
    For each forum
    -Take the last 100 created threads
    -Look at the authors
    -See where else the author has posted, and how many threads (or comments) they have created in other forums
    -Do some magic graph stuff to connect the forums according to common thread creators, and place them in a 2D space where distance is inversely proportional to some metric of common posters
    Oh that sounds good. Have you seen the linkedin connection maps? It used to be a thing, but I'm not sure if they still have it. Connections were colour coded and collected according to employer.

https://blog.linkedin.com/2011/01/24/linkedin-inmaps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i'm famous

(Original post by jneill)
      Oh that sounds good. Have you seen the linkedin connection maps? It used to be a thing, but I'm not sure if they still have it. Connections were colour coded and collected according to industry sector.

https://blog.linkedin.com/2011/01/24/linkedin-inmaps

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Nice. The internet is a crazy good source of data.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Captain Jack)
      Queen of data jenhasdreams and I have (who am I kidding, just Jenhasdreams) been tinkering around again and below we have the Top 50 members who created threads in the last 30 days ranked by the page views they gobbled up. Some corkers!

Attachment 618540

We've taken on board some people's thoughts from last time we posted this and will see what we can do about breaking things out a bit more.

Spoiler:
      Show

O-kay ...

Technically, I only did the first post of part 2 of the Oxford thread.

Also, I now feel like a one-thread show ...
      • TSR Community Team
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by fablereader)
      O-kay ...

A one thread wonder 😅 Still, glad you started it.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
      O-kay ...

You're famous now!
      • TSR Community Team
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      Cool data.

Just wish you guys would be more transparent about # of users banned or # of user accounts created per week etc.

Suppose the latter is whats important to your business but still
      We're not really going to publish that stuff regularly as it serves no purpose but I wouldn't say we're being opaque, it's just not useful. I've shared the registration info loads of times but never been asked how many people we ban.

We have something like 250,000 activated registrations a year. So whatever that is per week on average, although we have peak periods like revision before exams and results days.

Banning I don't know the exact number, but excluding spam and obvious accounts like that, it's a tiny handful of people each week. Talking tens of people. Which is tiny by comparison of the people who use the site.

People always imagine we're harsh with our moderation but it's the complete opposite. TSR users are generally really nice. Very few people break the rules properly.we hardly give out any cards.

Other myth is that some people think a Posting Tip is some kind of warning, it's not, it's a tip to help people get the most out of the site and avoid ending up breaking the rules.
      • Very Important Poster
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      We're not really going to publish that stuff regularly as it serves no purpose but I wouldn't say we're being opaque, it's just not useful. I've shared the registration info loads of times but never been asked how many people we ban.

We have something like 250,000 activated registrations a year. So whatever that is per week on average, although we have peak periods like revision before exams and results days.

Banning I don't know the exact number, but excluding spam and obvious accounts like that, it's a tiny handful of people each week. Talking tens of people. Which is tiny by comparison of the people who use the site.

People always imagine we're harsh with our moderation but it's the complete opposite. TSR users are generally really nice. Very few people break the rules properly.we hardly give out any cards.

Other myth is that some people think a Posting Tip is some kind of warning, it's not, it's a tip to help people get the most out of the site and avoid ending up breaking the rules.
      What about the "who repped me the most" graph that I had suggested? Any future plans for something like this?
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

P r e a c h!

ReputationRep:
      A one thread wonder 😅 Still, glad you started it.
      Palette was really the one who started the thread (EDIT: who I just remembered was taking a break from TSR for a while), I just was lucky enough to get the first post on part 2 when it stretched out to over 500 pages!

(Original post by Paracosm)
      You're famous now!
      :laugh:
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Palette was really the one who started the thread, I just was lucky enough to get the first post on part 2 when it stretched out to over 500 pages!

:laugh:
      You'll have to remember me now you've made it. :daydreaming:
      • TSR Community Team
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by UWS)
      What about the "who repped me the most" graph that I had suggested? Any future plans for something like this?
      I'd love to do that but no plans right now. We're focussed on big things like app, a replacement for the Wiki and improving the registration and guidance systems.

ReputationRep:
      I'd love to do that but no plans right now. We're focussed on big things like app, a replacement for the Wiki and improving the registration and guidance systems.
      Improving the registration?

Any more info on this? :sexface:

They have to pass an IQ test.

(Fingers crossed)
        • TSR Community Team
        • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Not much at the mo really, except we know it's not the most seamless of experiences! :lol: E.g. making social login better, improving forgotten password (which is horrible) adding in some personalisation elements which we've wanted to for ages. If you have any thoughts on it, please plonk it in the Feedback & Suggestions forum
        • TSR Community Team
        • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Mathemagicien)
        They have to pass an IQ test.

(Fingers crossed)
        I'd suggest a way of encouraging people to care less about IQ on here is a better option :eyebrow:

ReputationRep:
        Queen of data jenhasdreams and I have (who am I kidding, just Jenhasdreams) been tinkering around again and below we have the Top 50 members who created threads in the last 30 days ranked by the page views they gobbled up. Some corkers!

Attachment 618540

We've taken on board some people's thoughts from last time we posted this and will see what we can do about breaking things out a bit more.

Spoiler:
        Show

so I guess this makes me sort of TSR famous now right... bit shocked to see I made 16 threads oops

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by jneill)
        k.russell would be #1 still. That thread had 6,000 replies in less than a month
        I was geniunely so confused and shocked for about 10 minutes when I saw this, then I realised it's just cos I was the first post on cambo applicants mk. III lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.