Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you decide who pays in your relationship? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just curious how people manage the spending in their relationships with their BF/GFs. Like when you go out for dinner, drinks, other stuff etc how do you decide who pays?

Please post:

a) what your approach is, e.g. "we always go 50/50", "we alternate", etc;
    b) and how much you earn relative to your partner, e.g. "I make about 1.5x as much as my bf", etc

I know most of you are students here, so for b) just your gauge of how rich you & your family are relative to your partner and their family will do
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    We club all our disposable money together at the end of every month when all the bills have been paid and use that for money on dates, takeaways, days out etc. So we both pay towards everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I kind of take it it turns on who pays for food out, takeaways, food shopping etc, I'm only on minimum wage though so he understands that I can't afford to spend as much as he can

He pays for everything, I just buy my own stuff that I need (although he will still give me money if I ask). I told him this upfront when we started dating, I said I want you to pay for everything and he said whatever you want baby. When they are thirsty af they'll do whatever you ask

ReputationRep:
    a) We alternate based on who paid last with a vague idea of who has paid what to keep things somewhat 50/50. It doesn't matter too much if I end up paying more or less so long as one person isn't free-riding off the other.

b) I am a student and my girlfriend has a well paid job. I make it clear what I can and can't afford and we go from there. If she wants to do something extravagant and I cannot afford it then she can pay, and likewise for me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.