Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am really confused about whether I am just really sensitive and take a joke or whether I am justified the feel the way I do.

When I was with my boyfriend (now ex) he once said "I remember the day I met the love of my life.. (I immediately felt happy thinking he was talking about me) and then he said "and then she moved to another country". My face dropped. He said he was joking and doesn't care about her now but it really bothered me as he really did love a girl (they broke up years before I met him) and she really did move country. I spent time after that wondering whether she really was the love of his life after that comment and began comparing myself to her in my head.
    When I was with he would make several comments about me being over the top. I told him he upset me once when he let me down and he called me a stroppy brat. I got more annoyed and said I don't appreciate name calling and he said it was hardly an insult or anything major and to stop over reacting and arguing for no reason.

I once had a friend who would make comments sometimes that I would hate but she would just tell me I'm being too sensitive. We were just walking together once and she made a comment about me always looking gormless. I remember once I said something wrong or something that didn't make sense and she said "I've got a feeling you are going to be hard work today". I didn't get the vibe from her that she was joking or being playful but if ever I seemed offended about something she said she would just get irritated.

How do you really know if a 'joke' is just a joke and when should you be offended?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am really confused about whether I am just really sensitive and take a joke or whether I am justified the feel the way I do.

When I was with my boyfriend (now ex) he once said "I remember the day I met the love of my life.. (I immediately felt happy thinking he was talking about me) and then he said "and then she moved to another country". My face dropped. He said he was joking and doesn't care about her now but it really bothered me as he really did love a girl (they broke up years before I met him) and she really did move country. I spent time after that wondering whether she really was the love of his life after that comment and began comparing myself to her in my head.
    When I was with he would make several comments about me being over the top. I told him he upset me once when he let me down and he called me a stroppy brat. I got more annoyed and said I don't appreciate name calling and he said it was hardly an insult or anything major and to stop over reacting and arguing for no reason.

I once had a friend who would make comments sometimes that I would hate but she would just tell me I'm being too sensitive. We were just walking together once and she made a comment about me always looking gormless. I remember once I said something wrong or something that didn't make sense and she said "I've got a feeling you are going to be hard work today". I didn't get the vibe from her that she was joking or being playful but if ever I seemed offended about something she said she would just get irritated.

How do you really know if a 'joke' is just a joke and when should you be offended?
    I would have been at least annoyed in those situations so I think you were right to be offended.

Thanks for the reply Claire

Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    i see why u were offened some things just arent funny

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.