Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of leaving my job and either becoming a counsellor/ teacher but can't decide. Aside from psychological wellbeing practioner courses, I can't see courses where you learn psychological health techniques because that's what I'm interested. My Psychology degree alone didn't t give any practical everyday advice on how people should manage their mental health in order to become some sort of advice worker or practioner.

I know a 2:2 will hold me back but I had my own Issues in my final year causing my grades to fall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid that would be very unlikely, unless you know someone from within the industry who could get you a position.

There are just too many psychology graduates out there for a 2:2 to be competitive.

The lowliest research position will be inundated with applicants, many who will have 1st class degrees and many more willing to work for free.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of then becoming an assistant psychologist and see if I can progress to an wellbeing practioner, but will a 2:2 without a masters always hold me back?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As above, yes I'm afraid absolutely it will hold you back in applying for paid assistant psychology jobs.

I'm saying this as someone who has worked in the field.

You could attempt to get a "voluntary" (ie unpaid skivvy) position as an assistant psychologist or research assistant to build up your experience and then apply for paid positions.

Perhaps looking at a graduate route into teaching would be a good idea

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.