Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you consider a decent salary? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My friend and I were discussing this earlier. He was saying how he would consider anything above £100k a decent total pay package,but personally I think anything above £70k is decent.

ReputationRep:
    You're compensated for an accident or injustice. Not for making money come out of computers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    You're compensated for an accident. Not for making money come out of computers.
    I think the word is sometimes used instead of "pay" as in you're compensated for your work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serions871)
    I think the word is sometimes used instead of "pay" as in you're compensated for your work?
    Yes, I know that, but I was taking issue with the use of the word like that. To most people, greedy city bankers being 'compensated' for doing a job really does stick in their craws. It's not terminology I'd recommend anyone uses unless they're in the market to alienate people quickly.

To answer your question, the average salary is about £25K if i'm not mistaken. Three times that, £75K is clearly 'decent'. But for greedy people, it's never enough, so I'm not sure this question actually has an answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    You're compensated for an accident or injustice. Not for making money come out of computers.
    Pedantic. Plenty of companies refer to salary & benefits package as compensation - perhaps the person asking the question has had more dealings with companies that use this term than those who use 'total package', 'salary' 'wages' 'pay'... In the scheme of things, it all means the same.

As for the question, I'm leaving uni on £30K, which I think is more than decent - at this stage. At different stages in my life what I think will be decent will shift as I progress through my career... Anywhere upwards of £60K base by the time I'm 40 and I'll consider that decent (taking in to account my current career goals and plans - should they change, so will that number).

ReputationRep:
    I would consider anything over £100k to be 'decent' for someone with good experience, but I'm quite ambitious so I'm aiming to earn more than that. Depends on your perspective I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    Pedantic. Plenty of companies refer to salary & benefits package as compensation - perhaps the person asking the question has had more dealings with companies that use this term than those who use 'total package', 'salary' 'wages' 'pay'... In the scheme of things, it all means the same.

As for the question, I'm leaving uni on £30K, which I think is more than decent - at this stage. At different stages in my life what I think will be decent will shift as I progress through my career... Anywhere upwards of £60K base by the time I'm 40 and I'll consider that decent (taking in to account my current career goals and plans - should they change, so will that number).
    I'm very similar in terms of what I'm on now and where I'd like to be in the future. I'd like to be on above 60k a while before I'm 40 but it's relatively rare in the sector I'm currently in so it depends on whether I move around to compensate for this (very likely).

Depends massively on the sector and your age. And what you prioritize/care about in your work. Overall would agree with a few people about that 60/70k is 'decent' but that would be for a bit later on in your career rather than 20s.

ReputationRep:
    £30K a year would do me up North; more than enough to live well, get a Ribble Valley property and a decent car with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    £30K a year would do me up North
    Ikr, "you can do your whole shopping in Yorkshire for £2".

Paul, the apprentice 2005

ReputationRep:
    It obviously would depend on where you live. Someone living in London would need a higher salary, than say, someone living in Bradford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    Ikr, "you can do your whole shopping in Yorkshire for £2".

Paul, the apprentice 2005
    Plus you'd actually still be able to get a house up north on 30K.

ReputationRep:
    Plus you'd actually still be able to get a house up north on 30K.
    Aye, that's true, and you pay it off quite quickly

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your living arrangements and spending really, to me something like £40k is decent
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serions871)
    My friend and I were discussing this earlier. He was saying how he would consider anything above £100k a decent total pay package,but personally I think anything above £70k is decent.
    Decent for me would be £60-70k base before the peak of one's career - especially so if you have kids.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye, that's true, and you pay it off quite quickly
    You'd be able to get one in a decent area like Wilpshire too

ReputationRep:
    You'd be able to get one in a decent area like Wilpshire too
    Yeah, that's true. Anywhere, away from London and the South East would be decent. With the exception of Luton, some areas of Birmingham, Bradford, Dewsbury, Chesterfield, Mosborough, Savile Town.

ReputationRep:
    30k-40k a year, decent standard of living. Esp. if you're living by yourself.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's true. Anywhere, away from London and the South East would be decent. With the exception of Luton, some areas of Birmingham, Bradford, Dewsbury, Chesterfield, Mosborough, Savile Town.
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Yeah.
    I though you were going to get angry, because I said Mosborough.

ReputationRep:
    It depends upon your expenses - e.g. living in London, buying a house, paying overseas university fees, etc, is expensive. For me, decent would vary from £100k (no mortgage, cheap area) to £300+k (expensive area, e.g. London, Silicon Valley) PA.

A realistic starting salary in computing (outside London) is ~£35k for a top graduate. A career peak salary (outside London) is ~£150k, for someone very good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.