Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I thinking of doing History A Level, alongside 3 out of Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I've been told that I need to keep my options open, in case I want to study a humanity, and I want some variation anyway, so am considering History. Do you like it? What do you study and is it interesting? How much work is it?

ReputationRep:
    I do Maths, Physics and History and I'd definitely recommend it as an A-Level! You use skills you don't use in sciences, and it's useful to talk about on applications/job interviews

My only advice would be be prepared for a dramatic difference between your lessons. I come out of a heavy maths lesson then I'm forced to write an essay lol, but if you think you can handle it then go for it

ReputationRep:
    History is quite a lot of work, but if you put the effort in it's quite a comprehensive subject and it can even be easy at times (depending on how good your memory is). You have to pay attention in lessons and it is very content heavy.

I love History! I'm studying Fascist Italy (and the lead up to that) which is really interesting and that's my depth study so there's a lot of detail. I'm also doing Germany thematically (politics, resistance, economics and society as the four themes) studying three periods: Weimar (1914-33), Nazi (1933-45) and Federal Republic (1945-1989). I've just started that one and it's interesting but more challenging than Italy. There's a coursework module where my college run two or three topics (Holocaust and Tudors are two of them, they're considering including Vichy France (an area of France that collaborated with the Nazis during WWII), and the last topic is called Disorder and Rebellion under the Tudors, I think, and we do that next year.

It'll depend on your teacher, but my teacher really likes to give us lots of background and context, so she's talked about the crisis with food and trade in the 1880s, the influence of the French Revolution and subsequent Napoleonic Wars, the Bolshevik Revolution (VERY important in the context of fascism), and then some post-war British history and even some covering of political ideas and philosophy that relates to what we're doing.

Basically, History is a very wide subject and if you really want to understand it then you have to focus and put a fair amount of work in, but if you put that work in then it really pays off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.