Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm just wondering how hard it is to find a job and who employs Mathematicians?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictoriaCoolio)
    I know you need a bachelor's, a master's and a PhD. But I'm just wondering how hard it is to find a job and who employs Mathematicians? And if you would need to move countries to find a job.
    There are a huge range of organisations that employ maths graduates.

A lot of these organisations probably aren't employing maths graduates to do maths for the sake of doing maths, though, e.g. accountancy firms, actuarial firms etc.

Maths graduates generally have excellent career prospects, although lots of them probably don't do maths like they do in university as part of their careers. And this is probably the same for most other academic degrees, like physics, for example.

ReputationRep:
    How much do Mathematicians earn in the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As the first response hinted at, it really depends on what the mathematician is doing.

You don't just sit and 'do maths' for a company, and there are tons of possible areas to work in.

For example, I saw a maths competition recently which asked entrants to work out the best possible route for visitors around a theme park, where rides were of varying popularity and took varying amounts of time to be used. So there's an example of where a theme park manager might want to employ someone with a maths degree!

Generally however it really depends on what you do in your degree. University courses aren't just a hand-held route from start to finish. At the start everyone learns the fundamentals, but in later years you need to pick specific modules that are of interest to you. There are maths courses in financial mathematics, statistics, applied mathematics, information theory, etc. These all apply to quite different and often very separate areas. So you can't just ask how much can be earned, because it depends hugely on the content you cover on your route through uni.

ReputationRep:
    Which area of Maths makes the most money?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm sorry but you're showing a real lack of understanding about what 'maths' is.

Some might argue that finance is the area of maths that makes the most money. But then you'd be better taking a finance degree.

Others might say engineering is the area of maths that makes the most money, because of broad employment prospects. But then they'd be better taken an engineering degree.

To be honest I don't really understand your obsession with the amount of money a maths degree can get you. If you want to get rich, do finance or business I suppose.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.