The Student Room Group

What's a shallow reason you wouldn't date someone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by UWS
the whole stereotype that most girls don't date shorter guys.
That's not a stereotype. Most wont.
Reply 481
Original post by tapir
That's not a stereotype. Most wont.

Exactly, I didn't realise until recently
Original post by ANM775
I have noticed that most often when you see a girl dating a guy shorter than her the girl is 5ft 7 to 5ft 10

very rare to see a girl below this height dating a guy shorter than her.

That's only because there are a lot of guys below 6' but most are taller than say 5'3. A shorter women has more men to choose from than taller women.
Original post by UWS
Never really thought about it that way. Thought girls would not think about dating someone shorter than them. I'm not saying like me dating a 6 ft girl but like even 5'5" seems intimidating cos of the whole stereotype that most girls don't date shorter guys.

I do agree that most girls won't date shorter guys, but i've noticed the ones that do seem more often in the 5ft 7 to 5ft 10 range.

you might be trying to think logically and think to yourself as a 5ft 3 guy I'd have a better chance of getting with a 5ft 5 girl than a 5ft 7 girl due to less inches between you ....but If you were thinking like that I would at least challenge that belief and ask out 5ft 7+ girls too ...because it's possible you might be wrong.

On Paper the girls least likely to rule you out on height [as i'm sure you know] are the girls who are shorter than you. but tbh, I think at least 30% of girls below 5ft 3 would still rule you out on height judging from seeing shorter girls talk about this on forums over the years.

Also you should never just accept generalizations or stereotypes like "girls won't date shorter guys" without trying it out first and seeing if it's true for YOU. Often these generalizations do have a lot of truth in them and can be true for most people, but sometimes they just don't apply very well for certain individuals.

When I used to be into PUA like 5 years ago in London I remember meeting this Indian guy. Facially he was well below average, and I remember thinking that this dude is going to do very very badly, ....yet somehow he did the best out of all us,and ended up kissing some girl on the street and going on an instant date with this other hot girl. I was absolutely SHOCKED!!

The vast vast majority of guys of that attractiveness would not be able to achieve that, but for some reason ..the rules just didn't apply for him. Looks definitely matter, but for a small amount of lucky individuals it seems not to be the case.

Regarding the height thing, don't be too quick to accept they won't be interested on the basis of your height without asking out, and being rejected a good number of taller girls first, and then comparing that with the amount of smaller girls who reject you.

Spoiler

If the guy lacks motivation
Doesn't hit the gym once in a while
Lacks confidence
Bad dress sense
Is not cute every so often
Reply 485
Original post by ANM775
I do agree that most girls won't date shorter guys, but i've noticed the ones that do seem more often in the 5ft 7 to 5ft 10 range.

you might be trying to think logically and think to yourself as a 5ft 3 guy I'd have a better chance of getting with a 5ft 5 girl than a 5ft 7 girl due to less inches between you ....but If you were thinking like that I would at least challenge that belief and ask out 5ft 7+ girls too ...because it's possible you might be wrong.

On Paper the girls least likely to rule you out on height [as i'm sure you know] are the girls who are shorter than you. but tbh, I think at least 30% of girls below 5ft 3 would still rule you out on height judging from seeing shorter girls talk about this on forums over the years.

Also you should never just accept generalizations or stereotypes like "girls won't date shorter guys" without trying it out first and seeing if it's true for YOU. Often these generalizations do have a lot of truth in them and can be true for most people, but sometimes they just don't apply very well for certain individuals.

When I used to be into PUA like 5 years ago in London I remember meeting this Indian guy. Facially he was well below average, and I remember thinking that this dude is going to do very very badly, ....yet somehow he did the best out of all us,and ended up kissing some girl on the street and going on an instant date with this other hot girl. I was absolutely SHOCKED!!

The vast vast majority of guys of that attractiveness would not be able to achieve that, but for some reason ..the rules just didn't apply for him. Looks definitely matter, but for a small amount of lucky individuals it seems not to be the case.

Regarding the height thing, don't be too quick to accept they won't be interested on the basis of your height without asking out, and being rejected a good number of taller girls first, and then comparing that with the amount of smaller girls who reject you.

Spoiler

I think I remember you saying how East Asian guys get it harder (might be that thread about the most common UK relationships). It doesn't make it any better really, I know confidence is important but I think there that there are certain "undesirable" characteristics that are generally looked down on. I see where you're coming from anyway, confidence has been my downfall and I'm not afraid of approaching someone who is of a different race or who is taller but these things do rest at the back of mind if you get what I mean.
Original post by UWS
5'3", you?

Yeah it's not great, height does seem to be quite an important factor for many people it seems. Guess I just have to get lucky or something :moon:

Height is a non issue for me...:h:
Reply 487
Original post by Goaded

Oh my :mmm:
Original post by Goaded

Original post by UWS
Oh my :mmm:

cuties
Original post by hezzlington
cuties

Who r u
Original post by Goaded
Who r u

hi
Original post by UWS
I think I remember you saying how East Asian guys get it harder (might be that thread about the most common UK relationships). It doesn't make it any better really, I know confidence is important but I think there that there are certain "undesirable" characteristics that are generally looked down on. I see where you're coming from anyway, confidence has been my downfall and I'm not afraid of approaching someone who is of a different race or who is taller but these things do rest at the back of mind if you get what I mean.

confidence is important for males because generally speaking women don't approach males that much, and if a man has low confidence then he can't approach women and is reliant on women approaching him, but as women don't approach males too much this works out badly for him.

Really though, if you have enough confidence to approach girls then you're at no disadvantage confidence wise. Being "extra" confident won't really make their pussy's wetter or anything. People talk about confidence like it's some sort of silver bullet, but it's massively overrated imo.

Think as confidence as like petrol, it will get you [the vehicle] from A to B. From where you're standing to the girl.
If you lack sufficient confidence, then you lack the petrol to get to your destination, in other words the girl so are forced hoping the destination will come to you [being approached]

In the same way you won't get a bonus for having extra petrol upon reaching your destination, you won't get a bonus for having extra confidence upon reaching the girl either.

At the end of the day though, everyone is individual. And whilst generalizations are often true they don't apply to absolutely everyone, I honestly get rejected significantly more than the average guy when I approach girls, yet I get significantly more girls coming upto me on a night out than the average guy too.

The whole race thing is generalising too. It's true I think that east asain males find it harder but there's going to be some out there where this generalization doesn't apply, it's about finding out if it applies to you or not.

According to generalizations Black men are supposed to do poorly with South Asian women and "ok" with white women but when I was living in London I did poorly with white women but "ok" with South Asian women.

but yeah, it's good that you're willing to approach who you want to approach regardless of their race or height. I will say though, if you find that you are being rejected more when approaching certain groups it might be better to focus more on groups who reject you less, but then again that's your call, depends if you mind the rejection.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 492
Original post by ANM775
confidence is important for males because generally speaking women don't approach males that much, and if a man has low confidence then he can't approach women and is reliant on women approaching him, but as women don't approach males too much this works out badly for him.

Really though, if you have enough confidence to approach girls then you're at no disadvantage confidence wise. Being "extra" confident won't really make their pussy's wetter or anything. People talk about confidence like it's some sort of silver bullet, but it's massively overrated imo.

Think as confidence as like petrol, it will get you [the vehicle] from A to B. From where you're standing to the girl.
If you lack sufficient confidence, then you lack the petrol to get to your destination, in other words the girl so are forced hoping the destination will come to you [being approached]

In the same way you won't get a bonus for having extra petrol upon reaching your destination, you won't get a bonus for having extra confidence upon reaching the girl either.

At the end of the day though, everyone is individual. And whilst generalizations are often true they don't apply to absolutely everyone, I honestly get rejected significantly more than the average guy when I approach girls, yet I get significantly more girls coming upto me on a night out than the average guy too.

The whole race thing is generalising too. It's true I think that east asain males find it harder but there's going to be some out there where this generalization doesn't apply, it's about finding out if it applies to you or not.

According to generalizations Black men are supposed to do poorly with South Asian women and "ok" with white women but when I was living in London I did poorly with white women but "ok" with South Asian women.

but yeah, it's good that you're willing to approach who you want to approach regardless of their race or height. I will say though, if you find that you are being rejected more when approaching certain groups it might be better to focus more on groups who reject you less, but then again that's your call, depends if you mind the rejection.

I think rejections happen so frequently that they no longer faze me anymore, just used to it now. But as you say, confidence is important and I try to block out all of those things that used to restrict me (e.g. race). It's not so much like "does she like East Asian guys" anymore, I'm becoming more optimistic about these sort of things. It's worked with one of my friends from school. He's like the proper nerdy looking Chinese guy with glasses and buck teeth, like the classic Chinese guy lol. He ended up with a white girlfriend, she's quite decent you know so I guess there's hope for everyone really. I do tend to get rejected less with East Asian girls in real life, surprise surprise... Quite interestingly, I did set up an online dating profile (I pretty much right swiped everyone lol), I found I got more matches with black girls than white girls. None with East Asians which was interesting (complete opposite to real life). But yeah, online dating is totally different and the standards are way higher I find.
Original post by UWS
I think rejections happen so frequently that they no longer faze me anymore, just used to it now. But as you say, confidence is important and I try to block out all of those things that used to restrict me (e.g. race). It's not so much like "does she like East Asian guys" anymore, I'm becoming more optimistic about these sort of things. It's worked with one of my friends from school. He's like the proper nerdy looking Chinese guy with glasses and buck teeth, like the classic Chinese guy lol. He ended up with a white girlfriend, she's quite decent you know so I guess there's hope for everyone really. I do tend to get rejected less with East Asian girls in real life, surprise surprise... Quite interestingly, I did set up an online dating profile (I pretty much right swiped everyone lol), I found I got more matches with black girls than white girls. None with East Asians which was interesting (complete opposite to real life). But yeah, online dating is totally different and the standards are way higher I find.

yeah, online dating can often produce results that differ greatly from real life. I'm surprised you got no matches from east Asian girls yet some from black and white girls.

I have never really been very popular with black girls online, but seem more popular with them in real life.

womens standards are too high too, however that's partly males fault's, they will swipe right on anything with a pulse [swipe right is a "yes" right?] this will lead to most females getting a lot of matches and becoming picky, this leads to a lot of males not being able to get a date so they start swiping right on more females too in the hope they will get a date, which in effect intensifies the problem...and this cycle just keeps on repeating and repeating and we're left with the situation we're currently in that is any being or entity signing upto a dating website claiming to be female is soon flooded with an onslaught of messages and can literally have her pick from guys way more attractive than her.

it's like someone advertising a job for a road sweeper and having 100's of guys with post graduate degree's and master degree's applying.

Tinder is one of the worst dating sites because it makes it too easy for men to hit on women. The easier you make it for men to hit on women the more they are gonna do it. A man wouldn't usually type 500 messages to girls, but if you make hitting on them as easy as a "swipe" he probably will. And this mass attention just leads to pickier women.

I am not sure if you decided to mass swipe because you really don't care what the girl looks like or if you figured due to the amount of male competition out there and attention the women are getting you might not get much interest so it's better to cast a wide net. If it was due to the second reason then it just goes to show how legit my point was....
Reply 494
Original post by ANM775
yeah, online dating can often produce results that differ greatly from real life. I'm surprised you got no matches from east Asian girls yet some from black and white girls.

I have never really been very popular with black girls online, but seem more popular with them in real life.

womens standards are too high too, however that's partly males fault's, they will swipe right on anything with a pulse [swipe right is a "yes" right?] this will lead to most females getting a lot of matches and becoming picky, this leads to a lot of males not being able to get a date so they start swiping right on more females too in the hope they will get a date, which in effect intensifies the problem...and this cycle just keeps on repeating and repeating and we're left with the situation we're currently in that is any being or entity signing upto a dating website claiming to be female is soon flooded with an onslaught of messages and can literally have her pick from guys way more attractive than her.

it's like someone advertising a job for a road sweeper and having 100's of guys with post graduate degree's and master degree's applying.

Tinder is one of the worst dating sites because it makes it too easy for men to hit on women. The easier you make it for men to hit on women the more they are gonna do it. A man wouldn't usually type 500 messages to girls, but if you make hitting on them as easy as a "swipe" he probably will. And this mass attention just leads to pickier women.

I am not sure if you decided to mass swipe because you really don't care what the girl looks like or if you figured due to the amount of male competition out there and attention the women are getting you might not get much interest so it's better to cast a wide net. If it was due to the second reason then it just goes to show how legit my point was....

Well on OKC/POF (I rarely use tinder), I message the girls I find interesting (have good profiles), with a customised message tailored to their profile, it works sometimes, it doesn't always but I find that it's probably better than the avalanche of "hey sexy x" messages they get from thirsty guys. I did the swiping thing on Tinder as a bit of a test really, wanted to see who I'd get matched with if I just swiped with everyone. I agree that the girl can just choose from all the guys on whom to message, that's just how it works. I'm not a fan of online dating really, no dates as of yet but I can see how people struggle when expectations meets reality. If you have high expectations, then be prepared to have other people have high expectations too. I'm not too bothered with dating apps tbh, I find it's better to just meet new people in real life anyway.
Original post by UWS
Well on OKC/POF (I rarely use tinder), I message the girls I find interesting (have good profiles), with a customised message tailored to their profile, it works sometimes, it doesn't always but I find that it's probably better than the avalanche of "hey sexy x" messages they get from thirsty guys. I did the swiping thing on Tinder as a bit of a test really, wanted to see who I'd get matched with if I just swiped with everyone. I agree that the girl can just choose from all the guys on whom to message, that's just how it works. I'm not a fan of online dating really, no dates as of yet but I can see how people struggle when expectations meets reality. If you have high expectations, then be prepared to have other people have high expectations too. I'm not too bothered with dating apps tbh, I find it's better to just meet new people in real life anyway.

if a guy below about 8/10 in looks he is better off using OKC, I was on there some years ago and got more replies on there than pof and other dating site. The way okcupid is structured it emphaises compatability and personality more which results in looks not carrying as much weight as sites like tinder/pof

I know two very good looking males who got lots of attention on pof get absolutely no girls messaging them first on OKc. One of them was so angry that after 2 days he deleted his OKc profile and went back to pof ..lol

the classic "hey sexy" messages that women are said to mass receive from guys are pretty rare. I've set up a couple of fake female profiles in the past to get an idea of the competition i was facing and literally only like 2 messages were along those lines. A lot of men are using copy and paste's though, some are blatently obvious ..some a bit more subtle. A lot of men are putting a good amount of effort into their messages too. one or two opening messages were like mini novels.

no matter what female I used, they all got a lot of attention, even a conventionally unattractive white woman I used got a fair amount of attention. However what was interesting was that most of the hot guys who would messages her were ethnic. It seems ethnic men are thirstier than white men. Not much "hot" white guys messaged her.

and yes, I agree with you about real life, I prefer to meet women there too as well.
Original post by ANM775
if a guy below about 8/10 in looks he is better off using OKC, I was on there some years ago and got more replies on there than pof and other dating site. The way okcupid is structured it emphaises compatability and personality more which results in looks not carrying as much weight as sites like tinder/pof

I know two very good looking males who got lots of attention on pof get absolutely no girls messaging them first on OKc. One of them was so angry that after 2 days he deleted his OKc profile and went back to pof ..lol

the classic "hey sexy" messages that women are said to mass receive from guys are pretty rare. I've set up a couple of fake female profiles in the past to get an idea of the competition i was facing and literally only like 2 messages were along those lines. A lot of men are using copy and paste's though, some are blatently obvious ..some a bit more subtle. A lot of men are putting a good amount of effort into their messages too. one or two opening messages were like mini novels.

no matter what female I used, they all got a lot of attention, even a conventionally unattractive white woman I used got a fair amount of attention. However what was interesting was that most of the hot guys who would messages her were ethnic. It seems ethnic men are thirstier than white men. Not much "hot" white guys messaged her.

and yes, I agree with you about real life, I prefer to meet women there too as well.

I almost forgot to say, that copy and paste messages are more efficient than taylor made messages. There was an Okcupid study on this. I was skeptacle so I decided to try it out.

my reply rate from copy and paste was literally only like 20% less than taylor made messages, but the amount of time you save copy and pasting a message more than makes up for this because you are able to message more women, thus you will get more replies.

I tried to make my copy and paste not blatantly obvious, and I would change the girls name accordingly when I sent them out. No point sending and copy and paste message calling the girl stacey when her name is emma. My copy and paste was around 2 lines long and I stored a template in a Microsoft word file.

Looks weigh so heavily on the decision that words have little effect online, and that's why copy and pasting is more efficient. I am glad I found that out, because before I was spending absolutely ages on these taylor made messages thinking it would significantly increase my chances.
Reply 497
Original post by ANM775

I get messaged more on OKC tbh, hardly ever on POF so I kinda just gave that up (:dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:y user interface too). On OKC, I find that if you have a high match %, you're more likely to get a reply, they even did their own studies on this and it does make sense really. I do like OKC because you answer questions and then you can compare if there are any "dealbreakers" as such. It's become more look based with their new "double take" swiping feature but I find it's more tailored towards personality on there.

I had a few female friends set up accounts on OKC and they received a lot of messages, quite a handful of "hi" or "hey" and several "how are you?" openers, which is what I avoid doing. Just show some sort of interest in their profile and not trying so hard to get laid works best lol.
Reply 498
Original post by hezzlington
cuties

You are
Fat
Acne
Short hair
Bad teeth
Hairy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending