Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    Hear me out well :')

So I grew up in a country where laws on drinking, smoking and shisha are strict af.
    I will be 18 by the time i join uni, but i'm afraid i won't quite fit in at first as i've never done stuff.
    I don't mind if others do it, but any tips to blend in well with the others and how to politely tell them i'm not a prude and i never drank because i didn't want to end up in jail.
    Also, don't recommend oh just drink a little before getting into uni.
    Aha thats not easy when you belong to a south asian family.
    THANKS!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrici3383)
    Hey!
    Hear me out well :'

So I grew up in a country where laws on drinking, smoking and shisha are strict af.
    I will be 18 by the time i join uni, but i'm afraid i won't quite fit in at first as i've never done stuff.
    I don't mind if others do it, but any tips to blend in well with the others and how to politely tell them i'm not a prude and i never drank because i didn't want to end up in jail.
    THANKS!
    I don't drink at uni (I have outside of occasion on uni, but I don't enjoy the taste of beer etc) and I don't think I will ever smoke anything...

First thing is to not say something like 'I don't want to end up in jail / I'm not a prude' - that will most certainly alienate people.

If someone for whatever reason insists that you drink or makes remarks about you not drinking then you say 'goodbye' and walk away.

Having said that, you can get by without doing these things, you just have to try meet the right people who either don't drink or don't care if you don't drink (both exist!) for example, I have a friend who goes to bars with friends and just drinks coca cola, which is fine (though I hate fizzy drinks and disapprove lightheartedly :lol

ReputationRep:
    Tell them you can't drink because you have a liver problem.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    Hear me out well :'

THANKS!

Hi,

I was also worried about this coming to university (although nowhere near as strict, I never really drank that much before uni). I was worried about being left out during freshers and other social events because I didn’t drink much. However, there are lots of likeminded people at university, you just have to find them. Joining clubs and societies can help you to find people that don’t want to spend their time at university drinking. For example, I joined the Sparks society (business society) at uni and they organise events (e.g. social meet ups and talks) and even if they’re just a couple of times a month it helps in getting to know knew people. At the University of derby, there are more and more events freshers appearing that don’t involve alcohol so it’s easy to still meet new people and have fun and it’s not all centred around alcohol.

Hope this helps and let me know if there’s anything else,

Molly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyanne98)
    Hi,

I was also worried about this coming to university (although nowhere near as strict, I never really drank that much before uni). I was worried about being left out during freshers and other social events because I didn’t drink much. However, there are lots of likeminded people at university, you just have to find them. Joining clubs and societies can help you to find people that don’t want to spend their time at university drinking. For example, I joined the Sparks society (business society) at uni and they organise events (e.g. social meet ups and talks) and even if they’re just a couple of times a month it helps in getting to know knew people. At the University of derby, there are more and more events freshers appearing that don’t involve alcohol so it’s easy to still meet new people and have fun and it’s not all centred around alcohol.

Hope this helps and let me know if there’s anything else,

Molly
    Hey!
    Thanks a lot for your advice!
    This made me feel a lot better.
    Btw I've applied to derby too! But I've got my eyes set somewhere else :')

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    Thanks a lot for your advice!
    This made me feel a lot better.
    Btw I've applied to derby too! But I've got my eyes set somewhere else :'

Great to hear you’ve applied to Derby! What course are you planning on doing? I’d really recommend derby (obviously) so hope to see you here next year! Let me know if there’s anything you’d like to know about living/studying in Derby.

Molly

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.