Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I applied to NTU for both the BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design 3 and 4yr degree course but after submitting my portfolio received a notification from UCAS to inform me that I had been unsuccessful in both degree courses I applied for. I emailed admissions as the only information regarding my portfolio on UCAS was NOT SUITABLE. They were not able to offer any further information as this is the only notes that had been put on the system. They gave me the Course tutors email so I could email her to find out why it was unsuitable but received a very vague email back stating that it did not meet the requirements and conform to the guidance I was sent on creating a portfolio and to please read through the attached portfolio requirements. Upon opening the attached file the requirements for the portfolio were for September 2016 not 2017 which is slightly different , I have since tried to get clarification on what my portfolio should included but have been offered no pointers by either admissions or the course tutor, even after stating that I would still be attending the open day at the end of February I was told that the course tutor could not give one to one advice on the day given the nature of the open day . I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem that is applying for September 2017 ? I just want to know if my portfolio includes enough samples of different techniques etc and weather I need to included more samples of the work I have produced. I am applying as a mature student and now considering attending central college Nottingham to study the 2yr architecture and 3d design course before reapplying as I do not know if I can show enough variation in the portfolio I have produced , since most of the samples included come from work I have done on an advanced level 3 interior design course. Any help or pointers would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carringtonr)
    Hi guys I applied to NTU for both the BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design 3 and 4yr degree course but after submitting my portfolio received a notification from UCAS to inform me that I had been unsuccessful in both degree courses I applied for. I emailed admissions as the only information regarding my portfolio on UCAS was NOT SUITABLE. They were not able to offer any further information as this is the only notes that had been put on the system. They gave me the Course tutors email so I could email her to find out why it was unsuitable but received a very vague email back stating that it did not meet the requirements and conform to the guidance I was sent on creating a portfolio and to please read through the attached portfolio requirements. Upon opening the attached file the requirements for the portfolio were for September 2016 not 2017 which is slightly different , I have since tried to get clarification on what my portfolio should included but have been offered no pointers by either admissions or the course tutor, even after stating that I would still be attending the open day at the end of February I was told that the course tutor could not give one to one advice on the day given the nature of the open day . I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem that is applying for September 2017 ? I just want to know if my portfolio includes enough samples of different techniques etc and weather I need to included more samples of the work I have produced. I am applying as a mature student and now considering attending central college Nottingham to study the 2yr architecture and 3d design course before reapplying as I do not know if I can show enough variation in the portfolio I have produced , since most of the samples included come from work I have done on an advanced level 3 interior design course. Any help or pointers would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys
    Sorry to hear of your experience. If the guidance from NTU is vague, most universities' websites have recommendations and there is also portfolio guidance on the RIBA website, Architecture.com. From your description, I suspect the issue may not be variety per se, but the type of work included. I don't know anything about the course at NTU or the interior design course you have followed previously, but I expect the tutor reviewing your portfolio would be looking for evidence of your individual creativity, design process and development work. Life drawing is a very good indicator of technical ability and sketching from life things that interest you in the built environment shows both your interest and observation. Physical model-making and material experimentation would also be good preparation for studying a design course. I have a feeling that architecture and 3D design at a college will be more of the same, whereas a 1 year Art Foundation course may be a better investment if you feel you need "freeing up"? As a mature student applicant I appreciate there may be personal circumstances limiting your choice of University or course. But if this is your first experience dealing with this institution, and that is their response to you now, is this really somewhere you want to be a student for 3 or 4 years (presumably paying fees upfront)? Good luck whatever you decide to do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.