Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How did you guys fund it? I'm struggling to find bursaries/scholarships/grants that I'm eligible for, plus I'm still doing my degree and will be starting Vet school this autumn which means I haven't got much time to earn money...

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    My grandma died and left me some money. Not sure if applicable to you. Also I got a job and saved up!

ReputationRep:
    Heya, im in Upper sixth atm, but there is a girl who graduated from biological sciences who came back to our school to do chemistry to do a graduate entry for vet med. I think I remember her saying she is working a lot and saving all the money, she saved money in a credit union (say you save a thousand, you can take out two thousand and pay it back regularly with small interest rates or something), and I think she said either she or her mum was taking out a bank loan to cover her costs. Its going to be difficult. But I wish you the best of luck. Where have you applied for? Some uni's give grants/bursariers and I know that graduate entries can apply for certain scholarship / bursariers.

Hope I helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I worked full time and saved hard for a year between my undergrad and vet school and I have supportive parents who help me out a lot.

I was in the week working during my first year but struggled to find the time so now I just work during vacations.

There are grants and bursaries available but they are hard to come by and not really something you can rely on for 5 years. I know friends who have taken career development loans to pay for their final year of studies so that it starts to be paid back when they are working after graduation.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thank you all.

I'm either going to Cambridge or RVC, neither of whom I can get bursaries or scholarships from. I'll start looking into loans :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellieroese16)
    Ahh thank you all.

I'm either going to Cambridge or RVC, neither of whom I can get bursaries or scholarships from. I'll start looking into loans :/
    Have a look out there for personal grants. There are trusts and funds set up to provide some financial assistance to people in different situations. It might be that you fit into one or two of them. Some will cover partial course fees, other are to help with books etc. Worth looking into... there are a few out there for second degrees. You just have to look for them. You also need to apply nice and early.
    There are grants for all sorts of people, people from certain parts of the country, who's parents did certain jobs. Just do your research.

You can also try and find sponsorship, or see if any of the vet practices that you've worked with have any sort of scheme. Sometimes companies will help under the idea that you work for them for less for a couple of years after you graduate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.