Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i'm a bit undecided on my GCSE choices, my slip has to be in by March 17th, and I wanted a bit of guidance.

My mandatory subjects are as follow:
    Maths
    Statistics/Further Maths
    English Literature
    English Language
    Additional (double award) Science
    Religious Studies

Which amounts to 7 GCSE's already and we can only take 4 options
    The options i'm thinking about are as follows:

Computer Science
    Triple Science (Instead of additional/double award)
    Business
    History
    The thing i'm undecided about is the nature of a language option, I don't really know how beneficial it is? Also, are my subjects too academic, do they leave room for a break? And lastly, if I wanted to do Computer Science/History at university, will they give priority to students who took a language GCSE instead of Business?

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid business is extremely unacademic and if it's anything like my school, all the unintelligent students will pick it meaning the class will be extremely disruptive.

I would try and do triple science - again, the more academic option compared the science/additional. I'd also think about doing a language, they are great and very facilitating. I do computer science, and it's relatively easy so I'm sure you could do well in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest replacing business with something else - I've heard from people who took it that it's not a particularly interesting/ useful subject (though that may be because the teacher who teaches it at my school isn't great). Pick something you enjoy, as your choices atm seem to all be quite academic - which is fine if that's what you like, but it is nice to have an easy subject to give yourself a break at school (for me it's music).
    Are you not taking a language? At my school it's compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    Not having a language probably won't hold you back at uni level, but if you can do one and get a good mark, it might potentially look a bit better than business studies if you're applying to top universities.

But you've got 9 traditional subjects there (computer science/business are seen as slightly softer options at GCSE) which is a good number.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MusiK.622)
    I'd suggest replacing business with something else - I've heard from people who took it that it's not a particularly interesting/ useful subject (though that may be because the teacher who teaches it at my school isn't great). Pick something you enjoy, as your choices atm seem to all be quite academic - which is fine if that's what you like, but it is nice to have an easy subject to give yourself a break at school (for me it's music).
    Are you not taking a language? At my school it's compulsory.
    I mean, I would do a language but I really don't enjoy them, and that wouldn't really be beneficial in the long run as an A* in Business is going to look miles better than a B in French. I have the grade to do psychology, do you think that might be a better option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JacobPowell)
    I'm afraid business is extremely unacademic and if it's anything like my school, all the unintelligent students will pick it meaning the class will be extremely disruptive.

I would try and do triple science - again, the more academic option compared the science/additional. I'd also think about doing a language, they are great and very facilitating. I do computer science, and it's relatively easy so I'm sure you could do well in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been thinking about psychology, as I recently received my English mark and it passes the requirement to do it, do you think that would be a better option than business? Also, I think i'm set on not doing a language, I doubt I could achieve higher than an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meridian-S)
    I mean, I would do a language but I really don't enjoy them, and that wouldn't really be beneficial in the long run as an A* in Business is going to look miles better than a B in French. I have the grade to do psychology, do you think that might be a better option?
    Languages are good, but don't take a language if you don't enjoy it - from what I've heard, the new 9-1 languages GCSE focuses more on spontaneous speaking and writing assessments, so you'd need to enjoy the language and be motivated to put the effort into learning it.
    My school doesn't offer GCSE psychology so I don't know much about it. I think take whichever one you enjoy more. I agree that you should pick a subject you know you'll do well at.
    But ask the teachers what the topics are, what form the exam will take, how much coursework there is, etc. Get as much info as you can about each subject - it might be very different at GCSE to how it is atm!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MusiK.622)
    Languages are good, but don't take a language if you don't enjoy it - from what I've heard, the new 9-1 languages GCSE focuses more on spontaneous speaking and writing assessments, so you'd need to enjoy the language and be motivated to put the effort into learning it.
    My school doesn't offer GCSE psychology so I don't know much about it. I think take whichever one you enjoy more. I agree that you should pick a subject you know you'll do well at.
    But ask the teachers what the topics are, what form the exam will take, how much coursework there is, etc. Get as much info as you can about each subject - it might be very different at GCSE to how it is atm!
    Okay, i'll look into Psychology on the little leaflet we got at school, I think I might ditch Business after all (Dad won't be happy ;P) Thank you for your advice!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meridian-S)
    Okay, i'll look into Psychology on the little leaflet we got at school, I think I might ditch Business after all (Dad won't be happy ;P) Thank you for your advice!!!
    Glad I could help! :-) Good luck with your options

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.