Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

USA vs UK Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Makes you wonder how much he can attack the courts and how much they will be swayed.
    He plainly doesn't understand that he is not CEO of the USA, and that there are three branches to US government. He wants to be a dictator, not a democratic head of state, IMO. That is cause for concern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alextox)
    I am laughing because you say Canada as an option while the thread was only about the UK and the USA. I hope that you wouldn't take that in offence, if so I apologize
    It must be a single country, as Trump doesn't want to build a wall between the US and Canada. They also share a country code

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    The UK isn't anymore friendly than the USA when it comes to immigrants unless you live in London or an area with heavy immigration. As for healthcare, if you have a job you're covered and many states offer their own subsidised/free healthcare programs and with the state of the NHS which is only going to continue going down you might wanna sign up to Bupa. The only thing I would agree with is weapons control but again, choose a good area and it'll be minimal.
    It's true that Brexit may wake up some racist boneheads, but it's common when this sort of things happen and it won't last for a long time. Also the healthcare programs which are offered for the american workers don't cover everything or have a lot of restrictions.

ReputationRep:
    UK 100%

America is a crazy, paranoid place.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by RogerOxon)
    He plainly doesn't understand that he is not CEO of the USA, and that there are three branches to US government. He wants to be a dictator, not a democratic head of state, IMO. That is cause for concern.
    It is fascinating, especially all his supporters who dont really care about the so called judges. Be interesting to see if Gorsuch is his lapdog or capable of standing on his own. Apparently he will get to appoint three more as well. I wonder if he really will attempt to push Roe V Wade back, surely that really will divide America?

ReputationRep:
    I have invaded the UK(Except Scotland) and is an excellent place because it has so much gold, wood and tin! Ofcourse we had to put up with numerous rebellions from British tribes that didn't like us! As for the US I have never been to the other end of the world! They say that the other end of the world is a very scary and hellish place, I would not like the emperor to try and send us there in search of new lands!

ReputationRep:
    There are too many maniacs with guns in the USA for my liking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    It is fascinating, especially all his supporters who dont really care about the so called judges. Be interesting to see if Gorsuch is his lapdog or capable of standing on his own. Apparently he will get to appoint three more as well. I wonder if he really will attempt to push Roe V Wade back, surely that really will divide America?
    Trump is stupid and racist. I don't know why a great part of the American people have voted for him. Maybe, they feel nostalgia about the 80s and think that Trump would be like Reagan. However, they are wrong. Also, I can't believe that Trump is so unfriendly with immigrants while 2 of their 3 wives were foreign. What's more, It sounds utterly suspicious that a construction tycoon wants to build a huge and extremely expensive wall with the excuse of "prevent immigration"

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the US. The UK is just dull and boring. I hope to go back to the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alextox)
    Trump is stupid and racist. I don't know why a great part of the American people have voted for him. Maybe, they feel nostalgia about the 80s and think that Trump would be like Reagan. However, they are wrong. Also, I can't believe that Trump is so unfriendly with immigrants while 2 of their 3 wives were foreign. What's more, It sounds utterly suspicious that a construction tycoon wants to build a huge and extremely expensive wall with the excuse of "prevent immigration"
    I wouldn't call Trump racist as he has nothing against any race but he certainly is stupid. Like one says America is the land of guns! I am telling you, my pilum is better than their stupid guns!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Angry Roman)
    I wouldn't call Trump racist as he has nothing against any race but he certainly is stupid. Like one says America is the land of guns! I am telling you, my pilum is better than their stupid guns!
    Hahahahahah pilum for the win!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    There was another thread on this. It depends on what your priorities are.

I'm British, but live in California. I would not live in most places in the US. I would live in some places in the UK, but, overall, I prefer life here. I may move when I retire, but where will probably be decided more by where my children settle than my preference (which would currently be the Caribbean)
    SoCal>>>>>London

I prefer America to the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Gaben)
    I prefer the US. The UK is just dull and boring. I hope to go back to the US.
    Amen to that!

I miss New York big time :heart:

ReputationRep:
    I feel like the UK is good for individuals who want a half-decent/simple life. However, unless it is London, Birmingham or Manchester, life could get pretty boring easily. The USA may be suited to individuals who want to live life to the fullest, and also those who are not overly-paranoid about safety/security etc. After all, people seem to forget that the USA is a MASSIVE country, and all of these shootings/police brutality incidents etc do not affect the vast majority of people, regardless of age, race, gender. Because the media is constantly focused on the negative aspect of things, it just creates more paranoia/fear. But in my personal opinion the UK just cannot compare with the US in terms of entertainment/leisure activities. The USA caters to many types of personalities/lifestyles. Also, most states in America have much better weather than the UK (which is important to me because I detest the cold/rain). If I was lucky enough to get a green card, I'd definitely take the chance. It's good to be alert of the problems in our world, but at the same time if we live our lives in constant fear, then surely that just reduces one's quality of life anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmy15)
    However, unless it is London, Birmingham or Manchester, life could get pretty boring easily.
    Agreed, I live in London and here is just boring as ****, all you do is study, eat and sleep, very simple really.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.