Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

[GCSE] Magnetic Field Around A Wire Carrying A Current Watch

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_0700.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  501.1 KB
    If the field lines are drawn from the north pole to the south pole, how come they just go anticlockwise around the wire?
    What direction would the force acting on magnetic material be (even if it is very small) be when around this wire?
    Thanks in advance

EDIT: Sorry about the picture idk how to fix that it's the right way up on my laptop...

EDIT 2: I'm really confused now, what does the direction of the field lines even do? My book makes it out like the direction is important but I just don't get it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retsek)
    Name:  IMG_0700.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  501.1 KB
    If the field lines are drawn from the north pole to the south pole, how come they just go anticlockwise around the wire?
    What direction would the force acting on magnetic material be (even if it is very small) be when around this wire?
    Thanks in advance

EDIT: Sorry about the picture idk how to fix that it's the right way up on my laptop...

EDIT 2: I'm really confused now, what does the direction of the field lines even do? My book makes it out like the direction is important but I just don't get it....
    Iron filings around a bar magnet look like...

and iron filings around a current carrying wire look like...
    Name:  magfield2.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  23.9 KB

the direction is given by the right hand grip rule - with a current carrying conductor it's a magnetic field that runs in a continuous circle - there isn't a place on it that's the 'north pole'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Iron filings around a bar magnet look like...

and iron filings around a current carrying wire look like...
    Name:  magfield2.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  23.9 KB

the direction is given by the right hand grip rule - with a current carrying conductor it's a magnetic field that runs in a continuous circle - there isn't a place on it that's the 'north pole'
    Do the iron filings move in the direction of the field lines (anticlockwise around the wire)?
    If there was a coil of wire with a current flowing through it, would a metal be attracted and pulled through it?

ReputationRep:
    What is subject/ exam board is this for? :P

ReputationRep:
    Do the iron filings move in the direction of the field lines (anticlockwise around the wire)?
    Not really, they just sort of form clumps with a preferred direction aligned with the field lines.

If there was a coil of wire with a current flowing through it, would a metal be attracted and pulled through it?
    well if it was a metal like Iron or steel yes. if it was aluminium for example no.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, they just sort of form clumps with a preferred direction aligned with the field lines.

well if it was a metal like Iron or steel yes. if it was aluminium for example no.
    Just trying to get my head around the importance of the direction, is that the direction that it's being forced in?

(Original post by CuriousCat567)
    What is subject/ exam board is this for? :P
    Not 100% it's gonna be on my exam just curious

ReputationRep:
    Just trying to get my head around the importance of the direction, is that the direction that it's being forced in?

well it doesn't really matter for iron filings - but for compass needles around a straight conductor...

there's two possible directions for the current going in a straight line and there are two possible directons for the circular magnetic field... clockwise or anticlockwise. the relationship is remembered by the right hand grip rule.

it becomes important for motors and generators - knowing which way the magnetic field is going will let you work out which direction the motor will turn etc.

ReputationRep:
    well it doesn't really matter for iron filings - but for compass needles around a straight conductor...

there's two possible directions for the current going in a straight line and there are two possible directons for the circular magnetic field... clockwise or anticlockwise. the relationship is remembered by the right hand grip rule.

it becomes important for motors and generators - knowing which way the magnetic field is going will let you work out which direction the motor will turn etc.
    I think I get it now, thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.