Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do women still use the Pill?

A woman who takes the Pill for two years before she’s 25 and before she’s had a pregnancy to term increases her risk of breast cancer tenfold.

A study conducted by the World Health Organization found that women who carry the human papilloma virus (HPV) and who have taken the Pill for five to nine years are nearly three times more likely than non-Pill users to develop cervical cancer. (HPV affects a third of all women in their twenties.)

Women with HPV who’ve taken the Pill for more than ten years are four times more likely than non-users to develop the disease.

Women who have a history of migraine headaches and who take combined oral contraceptives are two to four times more likely to have a stroke than women who have migraines and don’t take the Pill.

Women who use low-dose oral contraceptive pills have a two-fold increased risk of a fatal heart attack compared to non-users.

Women who take oral contraceptives and smoke have a 12-fold increase in fatal heart attacks and a 3.1-fold increase in fatal brain hemorrhage.

Women who use the Pill after the age of 45 have a 144 percent greater risk of developing breast cancer than women who have never used it.

inb4:
    meh... no-one cares about the hormone imbalance? like what do you expect me to resort to - natural family planning? **** off

Also, IUDs pose problems too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Also, IUDs pose problems too.
    So do unwanted pregnancies
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why do women still use the Pill?

A woman who takes the Pill for two years before she’s 25 and before she’s had a pregnancy to term increases her risk of breast cancer tenfold.

A study conducted by the World Health Organization found that women who carry the human papilloma virus (HPV) and who have taken the Pill for five to nine years are nearly three times more likely than non-Pill users to develop cervical cancer. (HPV affects a third of all women in their twenties.)

Women with HPV who’ve taken the Pill for more than ten years are four times more likely than non-users to develop the disease.

Women who have a history of migraine headaches and who take combined oral contraceptives are two to four times more likely to have a stroke than women who have migraines and don’t take the Pill.

Women who use low-dose oral contraceptive pills have a two-fold increased risk of a fatal heart attack compared to non-users.

Women who take oral contraceptives and smoke have a 12-fold increase in fatal heart attacks and a 3.1-fold increase in fatal brain hemorrhage.

Women who use the Pill after the age of 45 have a 144 percent greater risk of developing breast cancer than women who have never used it.

inb4:
    meh... no-one cares about the hormone imbalance? like what do you expect me to resort to - natural family planning? **** off
    No babies
    No periods

Women who have migraines with aura shouldn't get prescribed the combined pill because of the increased risk. However the risks are so small to begin, that doubling/quadrupaling the risk still leaves them with a very small risk overall.

The COCP has been shown to reduce the risk of ovarian, endometrial and colorectal cancer.The risk reduction is most significant for ovarian cancer. For every 5 years of use, there is a 20% reduction in the risk of ovarian cancer, and after 15 years of use a woman's risk is half that of a woman who has never taken the pill. (source - which has original sources).

In essence though, there are risks to everything. Its all about balancing those risks and deciding on an individual level if it is something that they are happy with. It certainly doesn't bother me.
    • Political Ambassador

Lol what are you talking about..

The pill is amazing, it has many perks besides pregnancy prevention.

ReputationRep:
    So, a very small chance of getting cancer VS a much larger chance of having screaming mini-me's running around?

I think I'll take my chances.

Spoiler:
    Show

Not that I'm on the pill or anything uh

ReputationRep:
    Every medicine has side effects. Even paracetamol has side effects.

I take the pill because I HAVE to for hormones because I have premature menopause and I am allergic to the other hormone replacement therapies. Some women just have to take it.

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of benefits to the pill as well (including cancer reduction). A 3x greater chance of stroke is still really really tiny. If you have any risk factors then doctors are very careful about prescribing and obviously if yo're on the pill you should be aware of the risks but overall it's not so bad that you have to panic about it. Other forms of contraception also have risks associated with them and pregnancy also hugely increases the risk of strokes etc.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.