Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling to get over an Ex/Ex Friend Watch

This guy messed me around, we were friends, then dated, then became friends again. I told him I was in love with him and he essentially repeatedly went from saying he wanted me to saying he couldn't have a relationship. In hindsight I probably had a 'lucky' escape because I came to realise he was manipulative, lied about significant things and not the person I actually thought I was in love with. So why do I still miss him? Or at least the memories we have together before it all got messy. He probably hurt me the most out of all the people dated and I should hate it and never want to see him but I don't, I feel like there's something wrong with me. He massively affected my self esteem and maybe it's my lack of that this is causing these feelings. We haven't had contact for a few months. Has anyone else struggled to get over someone abusive or the like?

ReputationRep:
    I totally understand where you are coming from and have gone through the same thing. You were so attached and emotionally invested even after a period of time it is hard to turn those feelings off. Accept your feeling and know it is because you cared so much and you are a caring person. These strong feelings will, over time, and it could take a looooong time (and that is normal) will fade. You will find someone else and become invested in that relationship and the past will then be in the past. In the meantime though know they are feelings and trust what your head tells you if he tries to contact you and get together again. He'll keep coming back if he thinks he can. Good Luck

Thank you. Yeah once he realised I definitely meant that was it he wouldn't leave me alone, he did give up eventually but sent a lot of hurtful messages beforehand. I went on a date last month and it totally freaked out, I was so scared of getting rejected again and I'm not usually that bad I think this guy just put me off putting myself out there again. The date didn't work out anyway but I feel like I won't move on until I fall in love with someone else.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.