Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VP67 - Myanmar Ambassador petition Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with this petition?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    35.42%
    On the contrary, No
    45.83%
    Abstain
    18.75%

• Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    VP67 - Myanmar Ambassador petition, Joecphillips

This petition calls on the Government to suspend the Myanmar Ambassador for genocide of Rohingya Muslims. Yale's Allard K. Lowenstein International Human Rights Clinic analysed research conducted by Fortify Rights and Al Jazeera, to see if genocide had been committed as defined by the 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide. Clear evidence came to light that four acts of this convention on genocide had been committed and the United Nations has branded the events as ‘devastating’. These acts are as follows:

- Slaughtering members of the Rohingya people. The Rohingya, who have a distinctive language, culture, history and traditions, have been killed by security forces, or by the local Rakhine population as security forces stood by without intervening.

- Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the people. They are subjected to rape, torture, arbitrary detention and other crimes.

- Inflicting conditions to destroy the culture.

- Preventing births within the Rohingya population through marriage and birth restrictions.

Since the violence broke out in the country last October, 65,000 members of this Muslim minority community have fled to Bangladesh and nearly half of those interviewed for the report said a family member had been killed. Half of the women interviewed revealed that they had been raped and/or experienced sexual violence from security forces.

The British Government needs to treat the situation with the severity that it requires and we urge it to suspend the Myanmar Ambassador with immediate effect.

Signed - The Libertarian Party

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye. This is a very sensible petition.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This is hypocritical virtue signalling that achieves, as is normally the case with virtue signalling, something between jack **** and diddly squat.

ReputationRep:
    Nay, I just do not see what suspending a direct diplomatic connection to the country will achieve or how it will exert pressure on the government.

ReputationRep:
    " The British Government needs to treat the situation with the severity that it requires and we urge it to suspend the Myanmar Ambassador with immediate effect."

Yeah, really hit them where it hurts...

ReputationRep:
    Nay, out of principle more than anything else. A depressing deterioration of the standard of the MHoC that I actively said I was open to persuasion, and yet that persuasion was not forthcoming.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Nay

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    joecphillips Sorry I didn't get the chance to respond to you in the debate. I'd just like to say that whilst I truly admire the position you're coming from and do believe in a moralistic approach to foreign policy I simply don't accept that expelling the ambassador and breaking down diplomatic relations is the answer. Even whilst implementing all manner of sanctions - which might have the desired effect - we would need to maintain diplomatic relations.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Ayes to the right: 17
    Noes to the left: 22
    Abstentions: 9
    The Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!
    Turnout: 96%

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.