Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Passionate about going to a London university, don't rate my chances Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have applied to medical school (2017 entry), and have had interviews at Newcastle and St Andrews. I have also applied to Edinburgh (they don't interview), and Imperial College London.

Imperial is undoubtedly my first choice, but I have not yet been invited to interview. They were supposed to have finished the selection process by the end of January, but I received an email last week saying that my application was "one of 300 left to assess".

My BMAT score just scraped the cutoff in one of the sections so I am doubtful.

I was originally planning on applying to 4 London universities as it is my dream to live there, however my family put me off (I should have made my own decision).

I was going to apply to UCL and KCL instead of Edinburgh and St Andrews.

If I don't get an interview at ICL I will be devastated, but I have lost a lot of hope recently and severely doubt my chances. If I get an offer from elsewhere should I take it and stick it out, or take and year out to reapply?

I want to go to university ASAP, but London is my dream.

(P.S. I am not an international student).

Do I have a chance?

Thanks,
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by rwuk)
    Hi,

I have applied to medical school (2017 entry), and have had interviews at Newcastle and St Andrews. I have also applied to Edinburgh (they don't interview), and Imperial College London.

Imperial is undoubtedly my first choice, but I have not yet been invited to interview. They were supposed to have finished the selection process by the end of January, but I received an email last week saying that my application was "one of 300 left to assess".

My BMAT score just scraped the cutoff in one of the sections so I am doubtful.

I was originally planning on applying to 4 London universities as it is my dream to live there, however my family put me off (I should have made my own decision).

I was going to apply to UCL and KCL instead of Edinburgh and St Andrews.

If I don't get an interview at ICL I will be devastated, but I have lost a lot of hope recently and severely doubt my chances. If I get an offer from elsewhere should I take it and stick it out, or take and year out to reapply?

I want to go to university ASAP, but London is my dream.

(P.S. I am not an international student).

Do I have a chance?

Thanks,
    You have to rate yourself and then balance qualifying at all v your desire to live in London. You can always move there after. If you dont get in this year then you can reapply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rwuk)
    You should definitely not re-apply. An offer is an offer, and med school is med school wherever you go. The odds are stacked against applicants coming out with an offer from anywhere - to purposefully rescind an offer would be such a monumentally reckless thing to do that I'd honestly question whether you have enough common sense to be in medical school (regardless of how many A*s you get - there is a difference between good grades and common sense).

Anyway, who's to say you'd get into a London med school next year?

For that matter, from what you've said in your post, you've only had interviews at Newcastle and St Andrews so far - who's to say you'll get offers from them? Maybe wait and see how things go first?

If as your title suggests, you are actually "passionate" about going to medical school i.e. passionate about becoming a doctor, why does it matter that much whether you go to Newcastle or London? You can still have a great med school experience in towns and cities outside of London, and I say this as a Londoner who loves London but went to med school outside of the M25. Your uni experience is what you make of it, if you start off feeling negative and inferior, you're probably not going to have a great time.

It also might interest you to know that London medical students don't spend all of their time in teaching hospitals in central London. You'll be sent out all over the place - Surrey, Bedfordshire, Essex, etc for weeks or months at a time. It's not just 6 years of living it up in zone 1.

And that's not even going into how much moving around you'll have to do as a junior doctor.

But if you're still super bothered, cross your fingers and hope you get an interview from ICSM. Or go to St Andrews and then do your clinical years at Barts and The London. But whatever you do, just remember that if you're looking to tie yourself down to a particular city for the rest of your life, medicine is the wrong profession to be in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    You should definitely not re-apply. An offer is an offer, and med school is med school wherever you go. The odds are stacked against applicants coming out with an offer from anywhere - to purposefully rescind an offer would be such a monumentally reckless thing to do that I'd honestly question whether you have enough common sense to be in medical school (regardless of how many A*s you get - there is a difference between good grades and common sense).

Anyway, who's to say you'd get into a London med school next year?

For that matter, from what you've said in your post, you've only had interviews at Newcastle and St Andrews so far - who's to say you'll get offers from them? Maybe wait and see how things go first?

If as your title suggests, you are actually "passionate" about going to medical school i.e. passionate about becoming a doctor, why does it matter that much whether you go to Newcastle or London? You can still have a great med school experience in towns and cities outside of London, and I say this as a Londoner who loves London but went to med school outside of the M25. Your uni experience is what you make of it, if you start off feeling negative and inferior, you're probably not going to have a great time.

It also might interest you to know that London medical students don't spend all of their time in teaching hospitals in central London. You'll be sent out all over the place - Surrey, Bedfordshire, Essex, etc for weeks or months at a time. It's not just 6 years of living it up in zone 1.

And that's not even going into how much moving around you'll have to do as a junior doctor.

But if you're still super bothered, cross your fingers and hope you get an interview from ICSM. Or go to St Andrews and then do your clinical years at Barts and The London. But whatever you do, just remember that if you're looking to tie yourself down to a particular city for the rest of your life, medicine is the wrong profession to be in.
    Thank you for taking the time to help me here, I really do appreciate your advice. You are correct about taking any chance you get, and I am fully committed to medicine. The prospect of waiting a year was mentioned somewhat in haste, it's just the fact that I really want to be in London. However you are absolutely correct about the placements, It's not like I'd be spending my whole 6 years in South Ken. I think I was looking at it in too much of an idealistic manner without fully assessing the pragmatism of my propositions.

The big issue for me is not just that I like London, it's that my whole family has resided in the North for generations and I am desperate to move away. Although I'd still priorise ICL over other med schools, I would be stupid to reject an offer for medicine if am so lucky to receive one.

Thank you again, for allowing me to see the scenario from a more utilitarian standpoint.

• Very Important Poster

Your thinking is very wobbly. Do your best, stop worrying and see whats on offer after all your interviews. You might not get UCL, but you can decide how you feel after. Fretting gets you nowhere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.