Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am wondering which versions of the metallic bonding is correct of magnesium, the left one or the right?

Name:  metallic bond.png
Views: 37
Size:  6.8 KB
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I searched the metallic bonding structure of Mg up but only found the ones with only the + sign in the circle but Mg2+ ion has a 2+ charge though. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the one on the right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Hi, I am wondering which versions of the metallic bonding is correct of magnesium, the left one or the right?

Name:  metallic bond.png
Views: 37
Size:  6.8 KB
    Thanks
    Ideally, they should have 12 electrons since each Mg2+ ion deposits two electrons into the sea of delocalised electrons. Otherwise, the right is the better choice.

ReputationRep:
    Here is the mark scheme, I am assuming that my diagram on the right is more preferable according to this? Name:  xx.png
Views: 29
Size:  17.0 KB I can't judge. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3rmit)
    Ideally, they should have 12 electrons since each Mg2+ ion deposits two electrons into the sea of delocalised electrons. Otherwise, the right is the better choice.
    I didn't know that, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Here is the mark scheme, I am assuming that my diagram on the right is more preferable according to this? Name:  xx.png
Views: 29
Size:  17.0 KB I can't judge. Thanks
    Given they allow the more specifc Mg2+, there doesn't seem to be a preference. Getting used to drawing the less simplified version is probably also a better habit, in scenarios where you have to consider alloys Edit: but the last time I remember doing that was at GCSE, so eh. Still draw the specific ions though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 11, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.