Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting my MSc in September and thinking of moving into studio flat with my partner on campus which totals up to £6,596.8 for me as a postgraduate. (sept - sept). and my tution fees are £9,500. Bare in mind im no longer recieving student finance and i am able to take out a £10,000 loan to help with living and tution but i know its not going to be as easy to pay for and its a lot of money in general to owe. I'm currently looking for work to help me out during now and summer and throughout the uni year, but i'm worried ill be so stressed out about money and work and uni work that i will not be able to catch a break.

on the other hand ..

i can move back home which saves me £6,000 but at a price. My living situation isn't the best we live in a flat where all the neighbours have kids and live above so everydayyyyy its constant foot stomping we can hear shouting and what not and i just hate living there and not being in a silent home. Also, i want my own space, come back from a long uni day to relax but as mum's do, always asking questions and asking to do this and that and sometimes I just feel like i need time for myself and at home i know i will not get that. MSc isn't a BSc i know its going to be harder and i know i'll need the support and i know living at uni i will be able to gain access to all that and make use of the 24hr library. Whereas at home my library is 20 minute bus journey and not 24hrs. I know its smarter to live at home but i know for a fact i will not succeed as best than if i lived at uni.

Just want to see what other people think, it's stressing me out,

Thanks x
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be to save the £6,000 really. It's money that could be really useful for the future. You said you have access to a 24 hour library at uni so make the most of that, then come home when you're ready to go to sleep or when you're done with revision/studying. How long is your journey to uni?

Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by _smiles)
    I'm starting my MSc in September and thinking of moving into studio flat with my partner on campus which totals up to £6,596.8 for me as a postgraduate. (sept - sept). and my tution fees are £9,500. Bare in mind im no longer recieving student finance and i am able to take out a £10,000 loan to help with living and tution but i know its not going to be as easy to pay for and its a lot of money in general to owe. I'm currently looking for work to help me out during now and summer and throughout the uni year, but i'm worried ill be so stressed out about money and work and uni work that i will not be able to catch a break.

on the other hand ..

i can move back home which saves me £6,000 but at a price. My living situation isn't the best we live in a flat where all the neighbours have kids and live above so everydayyyyy its constant foot stomping we can hear shouting and what not and i just hate living there and not being in a silent home. Also, i want my own space, come back from a long uni day to relax but as mum's do, always asking questions and asking to do this and that and sometimes I just feel like i need time for myself and at home i know i will not get that. MSc isn't a BSc i know its going to be harder and i know i'll need the support and i know living at uni i will be able to gain access to all that and make use of the 24hr library. Whereas at home my library is 20 minute bus journey and not 24hrs. I know its smarter to live at home but i know for a fact i will not succeed as best than if i lived at uni.

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _smiles)

on the other hand ..

Thanks x
    Very often in life (most of the time in my experience!) you will want something you can't afford. You have to decide how much you want it and what you are prepared to give up in order to get it.

Options:
    1) You can't have it
    2) You can have it now, but only if you make compromises
    3) You can have it at some point in the future by saving up for it

There's no magic wand here. The Postgraduate Loan is what there is and that's all you get. If you can only afford a Masters by having your least preferred accommodation, then you have to decide whether that compromise is viable or worth it. If it isn't, then you will need to shelve your plans for a Masters this year and do it in the future when you can afford it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.