Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which decade was better in terms of music. The 90's or the 00's. Watch

• View Poll Results: Which decade was better in terms of music. The 90's or the 00's
    90's
    38.10%
    00's
    61.90%

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the 00's music, although I do like some 90's songs.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's tough… id probably say 00's because I grew up with it and have more of it, I love 90's music and can see it's influence on most of the 00's music I like but for me 00's is much better but i wouldn't say the 90's music was bad at all it layered the groundwork. If you asked me in terms of artists/bands (when they came out) 90's defo had the best debuts.

ReputationRep:
    90% of music i like is >00s

ReputationRep:
    90's.
    A ton of more recent songs are just pure trash, i cannot remember the last time i listened to a new song and went "this is good" Music has hit rock bottom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Oh that's tough… id probably say 00's because I grew up with it and have more of it, I love 90's music and can see it's influence on most of the 00's music I like but for me 00's is much better but i wouldn't say the 90's music was bad at all it layered the groundwork. If you asked me in terms of artists/bands (when they came out) 90's defo had the best debuts.
    I 100% agree with you, the 90's left a base for the 00's. The 00's was the best decade for music

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedManc)
    I 100% agree with you, the 90's left a base for the 00's. The 00's was the best decade for music
    Yeah it was also nice to see those bands, artists, producers come out in the 90's with good stuff but get better in the 00's and (sadly) hit their peak, I find nowadays most new musicians come out with something great then go downhill. Like The Strokes, Justin Timberlake, Britney, Beyoncé, JLo, Black eyed peas (didn't get big till 03), Green Day, I could go on… there's just something about songs from the 00's that I love, tbh I choose music from the 1960s over today's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markovchain17)
    90% of music i like is >00s
    Same.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    ooh toughie, asian music from 00s I liked vs 90s ; western from 90s-early 00s is better than most 00s

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it was also nice to see those bands, artists, producers come out in the 90's with good stuff but get better in the 00's and (sadly) hit their peak, I find nowadays most new musicians come out with something great then go downhill. Like The Strokes, Justin Timberlake, Britney, Beyoncé, JLo, Black eyed peas (didn't get big till 03), Green Day, I could go on… there's just something about songs from the 00's that I love, tbh I choose music from the 1960s over today's.
    I hate 60's music. It had too much pop. I prefer 70's and 90's and 00's alternative, indie, or soft rock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    90's.
    A ton of more recent songs are just pure trash, i cannot remember the last time i listened to a new song and went "this is good" Music has hit rock bottom
    I agree. I think music started to go bad from between 2008 and 2011

I personally prefer the 1800s music to 1790s.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      I personally prefer the 1800s music to 1790s.
      I meant 1990's to 2000's

ReputationRep:
      I hate 60's music. It had too much pop. I prefer 70's and 90's and 00's alternative, indie, or soft rock.
      Yeah it's not the best but it's certainly better than what we've got today Most my library is late 70's - 2012, you won't find anything from 2017 and barely stuff from 12-16

ReputationRep:
      Yeah it's not the best but it's certainly better than what we've got today Most my library is late 70's - 2012, you won't find anything from 2017 and barely stuff from 12-16
      Same. I'd prefer music from the 20's than the music today. Then again, I do like jazz.

ReputationRep:
      Same. I'd prefer music from the 20's than the music today. Then again, I do like jazz.
      Really? Me too, i love jazz

Also saw you like Alternative, soft rock and indie.. I'd love to see a playlist from you, I think I'd like it

ReputationRep:
      Really? Me too, i love jazz
      There is something about jazz which makes it so good.

ReputationRep:
      What are you using as a base for this? Grunge was better in the 90s, but I'd argue that black metal is better today (you can't argue with the classics, but the atmospheric BM scene has really picked up in recent years).

90's.
      Diversify the genres you listen to. I listened to an album that was released a week or two ago, ****ing loved it. Of course, it helped massively that the album was written by a dude who used to play in a kickass band back in the 90s, but that's by the by; point is, if you think that the music being released these days is ****, the problem is the genre of music you're listening to instead of the music itself.

I'll give you an example: pop music? That's been going downhill since the 90s, and it's likely that the only reason I think it was better back then than it is now is because of nostalgia. But stoner rock? **** man, that's been on the up and up for the past few years.

So diversify. Throw yourself out there and listen to some new ****.

ReputationRep:
      90's.
      Absolute rubbish.

If you bother to make more effort than casually tossing on Radio 1 there is a tonne of brilliant new music to be heard and what with the internet it is so easy to listen to.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Drunk Punx)
      What are you using as a base for this? Grunge was better in the 90s, but I'd argue that black metal is better today (you can't argue with the classics, but the atmospheric BM scene has really picked up in recent years).

Diversify the genres you listen to. I listened to an album that was released a week or two ago, ****ing loved it. Of course, it helped massively that the album was written by a dude who used to play in a kickass band back in the 90s, but that's by the by; point is, if you think that the music being released these days is ****, the problem is the genre of music you're listening to instead of the music itself.

I'll give you an example: pop music? That's been going downhill since the 90s, and it's likely that the only reason I think it was better back then than it is now is because of nostalgia. But stoner rock? **** man, that's been on the up and up for the past few years.

So diversify. Throw yourself out there and listen to some new ****.
      Black metal isn't exactly a huge part of the music scene so if it's doing good or bad is like me saying the local corner shop in some place in Syria is still selling more bread than ever, all is good in the economy!

That's not the issue for me tho, whenever I come across new stuff I love I'll look at the date and it'll be quite old, check up their latest work and it's boring…

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.