Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    your loss mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahmzo)
    You'll regret this one day. lol.
    How do you know? Plenty of ex-Muslims don't and say that leaving Islam was the best decision of their life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahmzo)
    You'll regret this one day. lol.

Or you might regret wasting the one life you had on made up fairy tales?

ReputationRep:
    Well done. You did the right thing. Most children are religious because your mind soaks everything up like a sponge when you are young in order for you to quickly learn to survive. As you develop you begin to question things more. Well done for overcoming what must have been a hard lesson to dismiss and thinking critically.

You will no doubt be faced with people telling you that Religion is the only path to a positive afterlife. They do this to scare you into conforming because they themselves are brainwashed and feel like they are doing the right thing. Being a good person is about treating everybody fairly, equally and respecting their right to a peaceful life. Religion isn't needed for that. Only logic.

Don't let people tell you what to believe in. Make up your own mind as you have done. Live life to the full! Good luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by javedkid123)
    One day I was praying. Behind me the Imam was teaching 5-10 children that homosexual people were to disgusting and should be killed. And somewhere deep down inside my heart, I knew it wasn't right.
    where abouts do you live?

also were you sunni or shia

ReputationRep:
    UK - London
    south east london?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muzi123)
    All u disbelievers dont worry your time will surely come for God is ever all patient

And they urge you to hasten the punishment. And if not for [the decree of] a specified term, punishment would have reached them. But it will surely come to them suddenly while they perceive not.

They urge you to hasten the punishment. And indeed, Hell will be encompassing of the disbelievers

On the Day when the torment (Hell-fire) shall cover them from above them and from underneath their feet, and it will be said: "Taste what you used to do."

29:53-55
    Don't worry dude. We'll be chilling next to Satan with beers and bacon rolls (veggie sausages for me) so you don't really need to lose sleep over us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I.sarkar)
    south east london?
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muzi123)
    All u disbelievers dont worry your time will surely come for God is ever all patient

And they urge you to hasten the punishment. And if not for [the decree of] a specified term, punishment would have reached them. But it will surely come to them suddenly while they perceive not.

They urge you to hasten the punishment. And indeed, Hell will be encompassing of the disbelievers

On the Day when the torment (Hell-fire) shall cover them from above them and from underneath their feet, and it will be said: "Taste what you used to do."

29:53-55
    Hell isn't real so no, our "time" will never come

PS: it's useless to threaten non-Muslims with Islamic hell, just as it's useless to threaten you with Greek mythology hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Hell isn't real so no, our "time" will never come

PS: it's useless to threaten non-Muslims with Islamic hell, just as its useless to threaten you with Greek mythology hell.
    May I ask why you seem to dislike Islam? Is it because of TSR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Lmao nope. It's an outdated and barbaric ideology (especially with its attitudes to women, homosexuals and apostates).
    fair enough, disagreeing with the actual rules is fair. I suspected you guys disliked Islam because of the people which 'sell' it here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozilll)
    fair enough, disagreeing with the actual rules is fair. I suspected you guys disliked Islam because of the people which 'sell' it here.
    Haha nope. I don't think me or any of the "Islamophobes" on here hate Muslims purely because of religion. We disagree with the ideology.

ReputationRep:
    Although, may I add, assuming you're an atheist/agnostic what do you use to live your life off? Where do you base your morals or principles from? I've always wondered how non-theists do it because essentially religion is worshiping a being who gives you guidelines & rules let that be in Islam, Christianity and ect. So what do non-theists tend to do?

ReputationRep:
    May I ask why you seem to dislike Islam? Is it because of TSR?
    No, it's because of reading the Quran.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's because of reading the Quran.
    what about it?

ReputationRep:
    Although, may I add, assuming you're an atheist/agnostic what do you use to live your life off? Where do you base your morals or principles from? I've always wondered how non-theists do it because essentially religion is worshiping a being who gives you guidelines & rules let that be in Islam, Christianity and ect. So what do non-theists tend to do?
    Do you really need a book's instructions to be a decent person? If Allah came down right now and said the Quran was fake and Islam untrue, would you suddenly turn into a raping murderer?

There's nothing strange about general morals. It's common sense that if you want to be treated nicely then you're going to have to cooperate and treat others nicely. People were moral long before religions were invented because it's conducive to survival and having a more pleasant life.

Also, invoking God doesn't really solve the issue of an objective morality, have you heard of the Euthyphro Dilemma? It's a very important dilemma regarding God's supposed morality which theists haven't been able to resolve without sacrificing one or more of his classical attributes and powers.

ReputationRep:
    what about it?
    Its wild and obviously false claims, but generally its portrayal of a deity and prophet who I find both deeply unpleasant and monstrous.

ReputationRep:
    Do you really need a book's instructions to be a decent person? If Allah came down right now and said the Quran was fake and Islam untrue, would you suddenly turn into a raping murderer?

There's nothing strange about general morals. It's common sense that if you want to be treated nicely then you're going to have to cooperate and treat others nicely. People were moral long before religions were invented because it's conducive to survival and having a more pleasant life.

Also, invoking God doesn't really solve the issue of an objective morality, have you heard of the Euthyphro Dilemma? It's a very important dilemma regarding God's supposed morality which theists haven't been able to resolve without sacrificing one or more of his classical attributes and powers.
    Yes but religion doesn't only teach you to be a good person. It essentially gives you life skills that you wouldn't have been able to form unless you had the experience. For example, as we both know Islam forbids sex before marriage. As we are both at the age of maturity, we can understand why; because sex before marriage increases your chances of diseases and what not. Surely at ages of 10 and 11 you wouldn't have been able to think that sex before marriage is bad because you didn't know what it led to. So I feel although as human beings we do have common sense which you mention we aren't smart enough to easily judge what is good or what is bad. Which I feel as an atheist who chooses to follow their own morals and principles, that you are essentially are going the long way when concluding what is good and what is bad.

All I know of the Euthypro Dilemma, is that it is an argument to which whether a thing is good because God says it is good, or does God say it's good because it is good. I agree with the former because again using my rationale above at the end of the day we do not have the capability of being able to know what is good or what is bad unless we have experience in the aforementioned act. So I therefore choose to follow the all-knowing as Allah swt knows everything before I've even thought about it and in sunk is, I feel the best way to ensure I live a successful life.

ReputationRep:
    No
    find yourself some good old Christianity

ReputationRep:
    Yes but religion doesn't only teach you to be a good person. It essentially gives you life skills that you wouldn't have been able to form unless you had the experience. For example, as we both know Islam forbids sex before marriage. As we are both at the age of maturity, we can understand why; because sex before marriage increases your chances of diseases and what not. Surely at ages of 10 and 11 you wouldn't have been able to think that sex before marriage is bad because you didn't know what it led to. So I feel although as human beings we do have common sense which you mention we aren't smart enough to easily judge what is good or what is bad. Which I feel as an atheist who chooses to follow their own morals and principles, that you are essentially are going the long way when concluding what is good and what is bad.

All I know of the Euthypro Dilemma, is that it is an argument to which whether a thing is good because God says it is good, or does God say it's good because it is good. I agree with the former because again using my rationale above at the end of the day we do not have the capability of being able to know what is good or what is bad unless we have experience in the aforementioned act. So I therefore choose to follow the all-knowing as Allah swt knows everything before I've even thought about it and in sunk is, I feel the best way to ensure I live a successful life.
    Lmao no it doesn't. We have something in this day and age called condoms which protect you from STDs. And you can get STDs after marriage too.

Surely though, following a religion essentially means you're blindly following the teachings of someone who doesn't even exist and so you can't make your own mind up about it after being presented both sides of the argument?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.