Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by javedkid123)
    One day I was praying. Behind me the Imam was teaching 5-10 children that homosexual people were to disgusting and should be killed. And somewhere deep down inside my heart, I knew it wasn't right.
    I'm a Muslim and I don't even listen to those Imams.

ReputationRep:
    One day (by chance), I saw a diagram of a Open Mind vs Closed Mind. I then realised I had every trait of a closed minded person. I wasn't free, rather I was trapped in a mental prison. And If I escaped, I would burn in hell forever. So for the first time in my life, I decided to become open minded and think for myself. Once this happens, it really isnt that hard to see the flaws in Islam.
    I remember the last weeks of my christian life.
    I was doing a mental experiment ; I tried to clear my mind from all of my ideologies as much as I could.
    For 10' every day I wouldn't be a Christian.
    In the end my scepticism was so strong , I finally saw the absurdity of that dogma in all of its glory.
    I had many existential crisis of course, I was so lost.
    I had to find answers to all those questions that I never thought about because every religion has an answer to every question.
    Up to this day I didn't fully recover from that shock, but it's much better now.

Evil has a new meaning now ; it means something that is a burden for mankind, that cause (unnecessary) suffering and in most cases is related to human nature.
    I'm pretty confident to say that ' Islam, Christianity , Hinduism , Judaism and Buddhism are NOW all evil ( I arranged them from most to less evil but still evil) using this new definition '

ReputationRep:
    Scared of their reaction ? They dont even pray. I used to force them to pray and go mosque. I just dont wanna stress them out over nothing. They are old now and have health problems. No need to be a dramatic **** and make things worse for them. What do you mean by "change it in the future" ?
    Neither do mine but they would still be mega mad. But I get that. And we'll u wouldn't want to be mistaken as Muslim with a Muslim name if u have left would u? It's like people who covert to Islamic change their names so I wondered if people who leave do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesniep)
    I'm pretty confident to say that ' Islam, Christianity , Hinduism , Judaism and Buddhism are NOW all evil ( I arranged them from most to less evil but still evil) using this new definition '
    Hmmm... in my view, religions are not per se evil. In themselves, they are rather loose reflections on human life and the purpose of the Universe, which can be interpreted and lived by each person in their own individual way

However, they are also political tools of primary importance : it is impossible to imagine the late Roman Empire (or Empires), or the Caliphates, or Medieval Europe, without a reference to religion

in present-day UK, religion has become for Muslims a powerful tool for ensuring a sense of identity and (beyond internal squabbles) group cohesion and socio/political impact : however, this is a quite different ball game

used as a political tool, religion can be (and in fact often is) quite evil

best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asiangirl_18)
    u wouldn't want to be mistaken as Muslim with a Muslim name if u have left would u?
    what is a "Muslim name" ?

you mean, most likely, an Arab-sounding name, right ?

best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roz96)
    You will regret it sooner or later
    And you know that how, exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Tried going anonymous but F it.

AMA I guess ?
    As yiou no longer believe it is God's way, will you be asking God to be kind enough to show you his way? Or would you rather choose the path of lonliness and get "shot at from both sides"?

Obviously as a Christian I say that Jesus is "The Way, The Truth and The Life" and tiy find him when you become "born again", you leave religion and enter relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    what is a "Muslim name" ?

you mean, most likely, an Arab-sounding name, right ?

best
    Yes. Muslim names are Arabic.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Muslim names are Arabic.
    Well there are no ''muslim names'' per se, but rather there are proffered names which are ahmed, mohamed and and of the abd names.
    Islam is an international religion and all good cultural names of each region are ok.
    You don't have to change your name once you embrace islam
    mariachi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    Well there are no ''muslim names'' per se, but rather there are proffered names which are ahmed, mohamed and and of the abd names.
    Islam is an international religion and all good cultural names of each region are ok.
    mariachi
    I thought all names which are given to Muslims are of Arabic origin and have good meanings to them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahmzo)
    You'll regret this one day. lol.
    I'm not an ex-Muslim so no I won't, and plenty of others say leaving Islam was the best decision of their lives

ReputationRep:
    I thought all names which are given to Muslims are of Arabic origin and have good meanings to them?
    Well as long as the name is good and not anything associated with bad names (eg even in arabic names that mean monster, killer, worshiper of x deity..etc) then all names can be used. A muslim that was Sophia before embracing islam doesn't have to change her name, nor does John need to change his name.
    All names are on equal standing expect those I mentioned earlier (mohamed, abdullah..etc)

ReputationRep:
    Well as long as the name is good and not anything associated with bad names (eg even in arabic names that mean monster, killer, worshiper of x deity..etc) then all names can be used. A muslim that was Sophia before embracing islam doesn't have to change her name, nor does John need to change his name.
    All names are on equal standing expect those I mentioned earlier (mohamed, abdullah..etc)
    Ohhh I didn't know that so that's interesting and good to know. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I'm not an ex-Muslim so no I won't, and plenty of others say leaving Islam was the best decision of their lives
    Hands down the best decision of my life!

ReputationRep:
    mariachi
    I know. On the other hand, especially in some Salafi circles, there is some moral pressure on converts to adopt a "Muslim" name (and, by "Muslim", they mean of course "Arabic" )

best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    I know. On the other hand, especially in some Salafi circles, there is some moral pressure on converts to adopt a "Muslim" name (and, by "Muslim", they mean of course "Arabic"

best
    I'm sure there is no pressure at all. Since I'm among reverts that haven't changed names and converted at what might be deemed a ''salafi'' mosque.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there is no pressure at all. Since I'm among reverts that haven't changed names and converted at what might be deemed a ''salafi'' mosque.
    well, you know converts who experienced no pressure and I know converts who experienced some pressure

all the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahmzo)
    You'll regret this one day. lol.
    Maybe you will regret not believing in the Galactic overlord Xenu and the thetans. You know it's kind of bad when the church of Scientology holds more believable beliefs than those found in Islam.For one thing there is a strong possibility that advanced alien life exists.The same can not be said about God.

ReputationRep:
    No intention in changing my name.
    • Welcome Squad

I didn't know you were a revert! Also prsom

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.