Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Less empathetic...?
    I would say that not following a cult that endorses wife abuse, stoning and throwing people off buildings is a good leap in empathy..
    True. But I generally don't care about people.

I wouldn't say I have an extreme anti-religion sentiment. I don't wish death on any theists, for them to locked away, stoned, thrown off buildings, sterilsed, eradicated or discriminated against...
    It's true that some abhorrent and questionable things exist in Islam. Most muslims try to rationalise them by jumping through mental hoops, and many employ double-think (e.g. Allah being merciful, but burning people in hell). Some take things at literal face value. Make of that what you will. But you aren't changing anyone's mind by repeating yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMilkSheikh)
    It's true that some abhorrent and questionable things exist in Islam. Most muslims try to rationalise them by jumping through mental hoops, and many employ double-think (e.g. Allah being merciful, but burning people in hell). Some take things at literal face value. Make of that what you will. But you aren't changing anyone's mind by repeating yourself.
    Sadly it's not just Islam I'm talking about, all religions seem to be as bad as eachother when it comes to that kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly it's not just Islam I'm talking about, all religions seem to be as bad as eachother when it comes to that kind of thing.
    I don't know about that. Hinduism seems pretty cool, and I have a level of passive respect for Christianity even though it's been responsible for some bad things. European folk religions are interesting too, but too bad they died out, because of Christianity. I'm sure some of the Eastern faiths have a bit of wisdom about them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about that. Hinduism seems pretty cool, and I have a level of passive respect for Christianity even though it's been responsible for some bad things. European folk religions are interesting too, but too bad they died out, because of Christianity. I'm sure some of the Eastern faiths have a bit of wisdom about them.
    That's actually a good point... I think the 2 religions that seem to be pretty "cool" with actual peace are Hinduism and Buddhism (though technically not a religion).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerald7770)
    Honestly dude, do what you want but you'll see on judgement day.
    That's like saying Santa won't visit me for Christmas

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's liberating in the sense that you aren't bound to a suffocating set of rules. But at the same time I do feel like I lost a lot of values and the core of my identity. I feel less empathetic, more selfish, and a lot more insular to name a few.

In bad times I could pray, read the Quran, hang out with my bros and believe that everything had some sort of a meaning. I thought I had a real purpose in life. Now I feel a bit nihilistic about everything.

That doesn't mean I don't try to be happy. I'm working hard to create a good future for my self. Boxing, swimming, lifting weights and reading gives me a sense of contentment.
    Hmmm... meditation? Religion does provide a form of spirituality but you can find it without.

ReputationRep:
    How strict a Muslim were you before you left? Like did your family prevent you from listening to certain types of Music, strictly enforce things like praying 5 times a day etc? And do you think that influenced your desire to leave?

What are your thoughts on Islam now? Are you like, it's not for you, or do you strongly oppose it and think that it prevents critical thinking or something. (Don't know if this has already been asked)

ReputationRep:
    I find that ever since I've left my religion, Islam, I've become less delusional and hateful. I've become tolerant and more open-minded. At first, I felt like "what is the purpose of life without religion?" so now I'm trying to create that purpose by becoming a doctor.

I advise meditating, travelling, studying, and physical and mental exercise. Also, voluntary/charitable work would be ideal for giving you purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Percypig17)
    How strict a Muslim were you before you left? Like did your family prevent you from listening to certain types of Music, strictly enforce things like praying 5 times a day etc? And do you think that influenced your desire to leave?

What are your thoughts on Islam now? Are you like, it's not for you, or do you strongly oppose it and think that it prevents critical thinking or something. (Don't know if this has already been asked)
    My family ? I used to wake everyone up at 2 am for fajr and walk to the masjid. I wanted to go Yemen but my parents didnt let me. I used to pray in the streets if I could find a mosque to pray at. This was when I was 16

As for now, I don't hate Islam. It taught me alot about life. I see religion as a glass of water. All you need is one drop of poison to make it deadly. Islam has a few drops, but its enough.

ReputationRep:
    That's actually a good point... I think the 2 religions that seem to be pretty "cool" with actual peace are Hinduism and Buddhism (though technically not a religion).
    The caste system?

Buddhism is nice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by javedkid123)
    One may say that atheism is also Delusional. The prob of us being created by randomness is soo low you could consider it delusional.
    The probability that we were "created by randomness" is much higher than the theory that says God created us then spoke to an illiterate camel herder - who also went to heaven on a flying horse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    The probability that we were "created by randomness" is much higher than the theory that says God spoke to an illiterate camel herder - who then went to heaven on a flying horse.
    Both sound silly to me

ReputationRep:
    The Graeco-Roman gods were the best, but their cults were unfortunately replaced by the three religions of the Book.

ReputationRep:
    The possibility of a higher being isn't ludicrous. Only the idea that we know anything about this potentially supreme being is what's utterly ridiculous and the stuff of fairy tales.

Come at me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    The whole point of Islam is NOT to think for yourself.
    Not at all. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The Qur'an constantly tells the reader to ponder and reflect, to give thought and to think upon what is being said

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerald7770)
    Honestly dude, do what you want but you'll see on judgement day.
    No we won't because Judgement Day isn't real.

ReputationRep:
    One may say that atheism is also Delusional. The prob of us being created by randomness is soo low you could consider it delusional.
    But we weren't created by randomness. The process of evolution is backed up by tonnes of evidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychedeliyaa)
    Congrats! I've just had my one year anniversary of being an Under Cover Atheist (I'm 16 and live with over zealous parents) and my 9 year old sister has decided not to be a Muslim any more too. Couldn't be happier for her. Children should always have an option and not just brainwashed into a religion. Couldn't be happier for you mate.
    2/3 years and you can go to university (away from home so you can move out) and you can finally be yourself you will be Abel to drink and even try pork oh and shave ( beards make people look really old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldplasma)
    The possibility of a higher being isn't ludicrous. Only the idea that we know anything about this potentially supreme being is what's utterly ridiculous and the stuff of fairy tales.

Come at me.
    Agreed.

(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    But we weren't created by randomness. The process of evolution is backed up by tonnes of evidence.
    How was evolution created ?

ReputationRep:
    Tried going anonymous but F it.

AMA I guess ?
    Cool story akhi, now enjoy your bacon sandwiches, alcohol and pre marital sex.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.