Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The new A-Levels will mean I won't be able to drop one after AS, so I'd have to take four all the way through.
    I'm generally a straight A* student at GCSE, and the subjects I want to take at A Level are:
    English Lit
    Economics
    History
    Government and Politics

Is it advisable to take 4 if I can't drop one?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You CAN drop a subject at AS by asking to be entered into the AS exams and not taking it up to A2. Your college or sixth form may sign you up for the AS exams even if they are new A-levels, which is what my college did.

Take all of them if you want; it is definitely possible. You can drop one if you feel like it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Depends on what you want to take at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    You CAN drop a subject at AS by asking to be entered into the AS exams and not taking it up to A2. Your college or sixth form may sign you up for the AS exams even if they are new A-levels, which is what my college did.

Take all of them if you want; it is definitely possible. You can drop one if you feel like it.
    No, you can't drop it. The new exams are linear, so the only exams are all the end of year 13. There is no AS Level. They even made us sign a piece of paper saying that we have to carry through the subjects we pick for two years. It's the new exam structure starting Sep 2017.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillPhillips)
    no idea

ReputationRep:
    I would do 3 that you're 100% certain about and do an EPQ in the first year which is the equivalent to an As and if you do well in, Universities will lower their predicted grades for you
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by whoisme)
    No, you can't drop it. The new exams are linear, so the only exams are all the end of year 13. There is no AS Level. They even made us sign a piece of paper saying that we have to carry through the subjects we pick for two years. It's the new exam structure starting Sep 2017.
    I started the new A-levels in 2015 and the last two sentences did not apply. :confused:

Honestly, I say it is worth it regardless. Your subjects all involve essay-writing and go together very nicely.

If all else fails and you cannot cope with 4 A-levels (which I highly doubt), I think you can still drop a subject during the year or within two weeks of starting your course.

ReputationRep:
    Dont do 4. You will regret
    Unis dont even look at the 4th subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillPhillips)
    Not really. No university has a standard offer of 4 A levels.

OP - if you're in any doubt, then I'd chose three A levels which you really want to do and concentrate your efforts on them. A*A*A is a hell of a lot better than AAAA.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having this dilemma too. The way I see it is that unless you're going for a super competitive oxbridge course or something, it's not worth potentially only getting mediocre grades in your 4 A levels (much better to get 3 A's/A*s).
    I'm planning on taking 3 A levels (German, French, Biology) then putting in the extra time that I would have otherwise spent on a fourth into doing something that'll help me stand out against other uni applicants!
    And in the long run, if you start with 4 A levels, I know they tell you you're not supposed to drop one but if you're really struggling and jeopardizing your other grades, I'm sure your school/college will allow you to drop one. Whether or not that'd be a waste of your time, you'd have decide.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Not really. No university has a standard offer of 4 A levels.

OP - if you're in any doubt, then I'd chose three A levels which you really want to do and concentrate your efforts on them. A*A*A is a hell of a lot better than AAAA.
    Not necessarily what I meant, but I accept your point.

ReputationRep:
    It might be helpful if you miss your offer by say 1 grade. You would be more likely to be accepted over someone who took 3 (and also missed by 1 grade).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    I started the new A-levels in 2015 and the last two sentences did not apply. :confused:

Honestly, I say it is worth it regardless. Your subjects all involve essay-writing and go together very nicely.

If all else fails and you cannot cope with 4 A-levels (which I highly doubt), I think you can still drop a subject during the year or within two weeks of starting your course.
    There's a new scheme of A Levels starting in Sep 2017 where they're getting rid of the whole AS Level and A Level thing so it's rather just one set of exams at the end of Year 13 and we can't drop a subject and just get the AS because there is no AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pasiphae)
    I'm having this dilemma too. The way I see it is that unless you're going for a super competitive oxbridge course or something, it's not worth potentially only getting mediocre grades in your 4 A levels (much better to get 3 A's/A*s).
    I'm planning on taking 3 A levels (German, French, Biology) then putting in the extra time that I would have otherwise spent on a fourth into doing something that'll help me stand out against other uni applicants!
    And in the long run, if you start with 4 A levels, I know they tell you you're not supposed to drop one but if you're really struggling and jeopardizing your other grades, I'm sure your school/college will allow you to drop one. Whether or not that'd be a waste of your time, you'd have decide.
    I see your point. I might drop politics, but I'm not sure.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.