i hate media studies Watch

This discussion is closed.
Krim
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I got 291/300 for it last year. Some of the most stupid people I know got a B in it. The thing with Media Studies isnt that its an easy subject. The theories, concepts, models etc its just that I think they give the marks out too easily in the test.
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Krim)
I got 291/300 for it last year. Some of the most stupid people I know got a B in it. The thing with Media Studies isnt that its an easy subject. The theories, concepts, models etc its just that I think they give the marks out too easily in the test.
Well done!
I think the highest UMS at my college was 257/300...thats from 150+ taking the exam.
Krim
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
Well done!
I think the highest UMS at my college was 257/300...thats from 150+ taking the exam.
What did you have to do for your coursework(s)?
kiaora
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hey,

you should be proud of the grades that you got if you worked to the best of your ability, but getting a D does not prove that subject is difficult. it just proves you cant do it/find it difficult. i somehow got an A* at GCSE maths, does that mean maths is easy? you may have got A in other subjects, but it is possible to excel in one subject, and be really bad at another.
shaunomacx
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
im taking it now, some parts are easy and others arent, it depends on your learning curve. if you have an interest in media industries then youre gonna be ok, otherwise youre screwed in the exam. and its an important unit
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Krim)
What did you have to do for your coursework(s)?
we had 3 different ones, basically do some research and outline how you would go about the production and then the third piece was the same but with the production examined aswell.

For A2, I just handed in a 3,000 word essay... however we had the freedom to investigate pretty much anything media related so it was pretty cool.
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ant87)
hey,

you should be proud of the grades that you got if you worked to the best of your ability, but getting a D does not prove that subject is difficult. it just proves you cant do it/find it difficult. i somehow got an A* at GCSE maths, does that mean maths is easy? you may have got A in other subjects, but it is possible to excel in one subject, and be really bad at another.
GCSEs are another matter.

Also I don't believe it is possible to excel in 'hard' subjects and be really bad at an 'easy' subject which implies that there are no such things as 'hard' subjects.
Kerry41
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
no idea about the course but kinda interested. Media will be an option in sociology course. I think media is fun got quite friends applied to Media study.....
Al Mac
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I couldn't disagree more. Media Studies wasn't easy at GCSE, I gained a top 5 in the country mark and I worked very hard for it. AS level effectively continues GCSE Media to a greater level of understanding and independance for the critic. I admit low grades can be achieved fairly easily, however Media Studies is so diverse (radio, film, books, adverts, etc) that it is inevitably a complicated subject, and the higher grades are difficult to obtain.
meh...joel
Report 14 years ago
My mate did some drugs awareness course for his media thing and they took a load of photos of syringes and joints etc and when they got developed at boots, the developers contacted the police who made a little visit to my friend...
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by meh...joel)
My mate did some drugs awareness course for his media thing and they took a load of photos of syringes and joints etc and when they got developed at boots, the developers contacted the police who made a little visit to my friend...
lol, relevant
Cellardore
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol have you actually read the Guardian league table for media studies? That is if you are intending to study it at University.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/univ...217058,00.html

The job prospects look pretty good from what i'm looking at
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.62%
No - but I will (19)
5.69%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (161)
48.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise