Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why does my bf say "let's not get ahead of ourselves" when he initiates the convo? Watch

Every single time we talk about marriage or kids or around that subject I notice him being a bit weird and giving short and unsure answers however most of the time it's not even me starting these conversations. I try not to get as deep but when I decide to fully engage in these topics he says "let's not get ahead of ourselves". What's going on in his head? Why starts a conversation if you're going to shut me down with that response?

ReputationRep:
    I think you know the answer.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Every single time we talk about marriage or kids or around that subject I notice him being a bit weird and giving short and unsure answers however most of the time it's not even me starting these conversations. I try not to get as deep but when I decide to fully engage in these topics he says "let's not get ahead of ourselves". What's going on in his head? Why starts a conversation if you're going to shut me down with that response?
    Have you been together a while? It seems strange he start those conversations but not actually want to talk about it properly

ReputationRep:
    Maybe your boyfriend feels like he has a lot to deal with at the moment let alone marriage, kids etc. as you said. He prefers probably not to rush things straight and to "not get ahead of ourselves".

ReputationRep:
    If your relationship with him hasn't been long enough then I'd understand why he's responding that way. If it is then he needs to stop. If you're getting into a relationship, not intending to start a family or get married then what's the point? If he doesn't believe in marriage or doesn't want kids then fair enough but you do. It just won't work I'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    He wants to talk about those things but at the same make sure you don't get the impression he is super keen and wanting kids early (which turns off a lot of women). That's the most likely reason. He also may be worried you may get the wrong idea and start wanting kids etc (this is less likely in my opinion).

He doesn't want to creep you out but at the same time wants to discuss those things in a non serious manner.
    • Very Important Poster

How old? How long together?
    How seriously are you interested in marriage and when?

ReputationRep:
    how long u been dating?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.