Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Do you get taught how to deal with death of a patient or do you have to deal with it your own way?

James
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameshburton)
    Hi,

Do you get taught how to deal with death of a patient or do you have to deal with it your own way?

James
    I don't think we've had any formal teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameshburton)
    Hi,

James
    We haven't been taught how to deal with it in the past five years of my course.

There is a bit of emphasis on breaking bad news to patients including the death of a relative - this mainly (and rightly) concentrates on the emotions of the family member.

I have dealt with deaths of patients as a student on placement and usually the team are very supportive. I am not aware of any guidance from my medical school itself though.

I'm not sure how much can be taught though. Each person deals with death differently, and I think some deaths hit you harder than others based on personal attitudes and experiences. I guess the important thing thing is your own coping mechanisms - which aren't emphasised by my medical school either and to be honest I don't think many people would pay attention to them on the basis of such teaching being 'wishy washy.' Maybe it's just something you learn through experience?

ReputationRep:
    You don't get taught it as such. You just... get used to it.

It sounds harsh but when your 20th elderly patient dies its just not that big a deal any more (for you - obviously you show lots of sympathy to the family).

Young patients dying is different. edit: so are the very unexpected, or people you've known for more than a couple days.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends what you mean by "taught". I certainly don't recall any lectures about dealing with death, although I don't know how helpful they would have been even had they existed. It is something you learn gradually as part of your medical training, though. A lot of the things that are learned in medicine are through experience as much as a series of PowerPoint slides.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.