Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If my college doens't want to help me to apply at oxbridge (YES, my college is full of ignorants and I don't even want to say the name of the college), is it possible to apply on my own? Also I get the same chances as somebody who applied by college or the possibilties are lower to get an interview ?

ReputationRep:
    You can make your application through UCAS - even if they decide not to help you, there's external help available. If you really want to apply, put the uni down on your UCAS! The worst you can get is a no, but you'll just never know if you don't apply.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    You can apply on your own. Will your college help you apply to any university?

You essentially have three options:
    1) Get your college to help support you in applying to Oxford or Cambridge. PM me details and I'll phone them up for you (that's my job after all)
    2) Get your college to help you apply to some universities through UCAS with a teacher's reference etc. Add Oxford or Cambridge as one of your choices (you don't need to tell your teachers and there's nothing they need to do). Depending on circumstances, you might want to make the university aware of the fact that your school isn't supporting your application (i.e. on the SAQ for Cambridge or, depending on circumstances, through the Extenuating Circumstances Form).
    3) If your college isn't supportive at all, apply to up to 5 universities through UCAS as a private candidate. This is the most difficult and I'd recommend trying 1 then 2 first.

Just some reassurance - applying to Oxford or Cambridge isn't massively difficult and not something you necessarily need help with. The application is as simple as listing your choice online at UCAS then filling in some extra online forms for Cambridge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.