Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does attendance matter in Sixth Form? Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I've got 79% attendance - am top of my class and on course for A*A*A. Do what suits you, make sure you see your reference before you send your application off (you may need to make an FoI/ data protection act request if necessary) and then work with your reference writer from there.
    What subjects are you taking

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevetheIcecube)
    Yes, it does matter. I know you want to take time off for revision, but you still have topics to cover in lessons and it's very important that you're in. I know someone who was kicked out with his last day being today because his attendance wasn't good enough. My advice would be to better manage your time at home so you have time for revision and lessons.
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael_Fishy)
    I've got 79% attendance - am top of my class and on course for A*A*A. Do what suits you, make sure you see your reference before you send your application off (you may need to make an FoI/ data protection act request if necessary) and then work with your reference writer from there.
    What subjects are you taking

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the advice. Knowing the teachers st my school though, even if I request them to leave the attendance out of the reference they'll still keep it there, and I can't choose any teacher I like to do my reference it has to be my form teacher. 😥I'm doing biology , chemistry and geography . I will definitely attend lessons such as biology and chem practicals and whenever the class is being taught by the few decent teachers I have lol.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oragon)
    Thanks for the advice. Knowing the teachers st my school though, even if I request them to leave the attendance out of the reference they'll still keep it there, and I can't choose any teacher I like to do my reference it has to be my form teacher. 😥I'm doing biology , chemistry and geography . I will definitely attend lessons such as biology and chem practicals and whenever the class is being taught by the few decent teachers I have lol.
    Well you've got a good few months to build a rapport with your form tutor I do OCR Biology to A2 so if you want any help there shoot me a PM
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    They're not allowed to as that makes it a bad reference. Just make sure you don't get kicked out.
    Of course they can give a bad reference, if they have evidence to back it up.

That said, Oragon's 87% attendance isn't "bad" especialliy if they have legitimate reasons due to illness.

And to be clear, universities have no independent access to school attendence information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Of course they can give a bad reference, if they have evidence to back it up.

That said, Oragon's 87% attendance isn't "bad" especialliy if they have legitimate reasons due to illness.

And to be clear, universities have no independent access to school attendence information.
    As far as I am aware, they're not allowed to give you a bad reference but they don't need to write a glowing one either. They can choose to leave out certain things like "the student works independantly" and that gives the university an impression that they probably don't. So they can't actually write a "bad" reference and every teacher would want their student to go to university. Maybe the teacher could say something like X student can work independantly and catch up on work when needed or something along those lines.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    As far as I am aware, they're not allowed to give you a bad reference but they don't need to write a glowing one either. They can choose to leave out certain things like "the student works independantly" and that gives the university an impression that they probably don't. So they can't actually write a "bad" reference and every teacher would want their student to go to university. Maybe the teacher could say something like X student can work independantly and catch up on work when needed or something along those lines.
    They can write anything they have evidence for. If a pupil has been excluded they can mention that. If a pupil has very poor attendence they can mention it.

BUT they usually don't because it looks better for the school if their pupils progress to university.

There's no law to say they can't write a "bad" reference though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.