Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best access course for university entry for neuroscience Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm new to these forums so forgive me if I've posted in the wrong section. Anyway, I'm 19 and never attended college due to personal reasons. However, I want to go on to study neuroscience at the University of Manchester. I've done a little research and it looks as though the best way to obtain entry is to complete a short access course. I'm quite reluctant to apply for any particular course just yet, as I was informed by a careers advisor that a lot of these access course knocking about; particularly the ones on the internet are quite unreliable in terms of helping you gain entry for decent courses. So, my question is, what would be the best access course to complete? I've looked at one on Stonebridge and Salford City College; however, the latter starts in September meaning that I would be able to obtain a 2017 entry. I'm leaning towards Stonebridge but I don't know whether it permit my entry into a neuroscience degree. I would appreciate your guys help.

https://www.stonebridge.uk.com/cours...cience-biochem

http://www.salfordcc.ac.uk/courses/a...98A3C5E18_365/

I'll just add that I have previously obtained all the necessary GCSEs for entry into both courses including an A* in English, Maths and Science.

Thanks, in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy371)
    Hi, I'm new to these forums so forgive me if I've posted in the wrong section. Anyway, I'm 19 and never attended college due to personal reasons. However, I want to go on to study neuroscience at the University of Manchester. I've done a little research and it looks as though the best way to obtain entry is to complete a short access course. I'm quite reluctant to apply for any particular course just yet, as I was informed by a careers advisor that a lot of these access course knocking about; particularly the ones on the internet are quite unreliable in terms of helping you gain entry for decent courses. So, my question is, what would be the best access course to complete? I've looked at one on Stonebridge and Salford City College; however, the latter starts in September meaning that I would be able to obtain a 2017 entry. I'm leaning towards Stonebridge but I don't know whether it permit my entry into a neuroscience degree. I would appreciate your guys help.

I'll just add that I have previously obtained all the necessary GCSEs for entry into both courses including an A* in English, Maths and Science.

Thanks, in advance.
    The best thing to do is call/email Manchester Uni and ask them. Different courses will have different Access course preferences, so nobody here can tell you I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    It looks like the biggest difference between the two is that Stonebridge will basically just send the materials out to you and then you'll have to teach yourself (with some online tutor support). There doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the diplomas themselves, so it's just a case of doing whatever you think will net you the best grades.

As you might be aware, UoM Access to HE requirements for BSc Neuroscience are overall 60 credits required with 45 at level 3.

I personally would go for Salford CC, to learn in class and have the additional support in place, but that's just me. If you're working, or want to, you may prefer Stonebridge so you can fit your studies around it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewables)
    It looks like the biggest difference between the two is that Stonebridge will basically just send the materials out to you and then you'll have to teach yourself (with some online tutor support). There doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the diplomas themselves, so it's just a case of doing whatever you think will net you the best grades.

As you might be aware, UoM Access to HE requirements for BSc Neuroscience are overall 60 credits required with 45 at level 3.

I personally would go for Salford CC, to learn in class and have the additional support in place, but that's just me. If you're working, or want to, you may prefer Stonebridge so you can fit your studies around it.
    Thanks a lot, I think you're probably right. Learning in an actual classroom setting would be better for actually absorbing the information necessary to pass the course.

ReputationRep:

Thanks, in advance.
    I don't know where you're based but I moved to manchester to do the Access to HE: medical sciences course with the manchester college at city labs on Oxford Road.

I started last September and will finish in June, It is the course I think manchester university prefer as you can also use it to get onto their medicine course.

I am using it for Neuroscience too, its successful for most. Any questions about it let me know.

ReputationRep:

Thanks, in advance.
    I just had a look at those courses, I don't think one with three subjects is enough as then you would need to get 45 credits at distinction from all of the work that you do.

Throughout my research before moving over from Australia, I found only 5 courses at insitutions that would be accepted by universities;
    The Manchester College
    City and Islington College
    The college of east Anglia
    Stirling College
    Liverpool Community College (but gives less credits so accepted by less unis)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.