The Student Room Group

Worried about starting my A levels a year late. Anyone had this experience?

(This is my first post, so I apologise if I've done anything wrong haha)

I had to take around a year and a half off during my GCSE's due to illness. This resulted in me having the bare minimum of qualifications, and ended up having to do a BTEC course whilst I retake some subjects.

Because of this, I'm going to be a year older than everyone in my A Level classes. Was wondering if anyone had any experience of this and how you felt? Was it weird? Were you isolated by class members?
Reply 1
Nooo it's fine!!! I have a friend who is one year older than all of us, because he spent one year at college retaking some of his GCSEs and he is still my best friend!! And tbh I didn't even know that he is older than me until he told me .

Believe me no one would even know that u r older unless u tell them and I think it's okay, there's nothing wrong with being older.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by raghad.
Nooo it's fine!!! I have a friend who is one year older than all of us, because he spent one year at college retaking some of his GCSEs and he is still my best friend!! And tbh I didn't even know that he is older than me until he told me .

Believe me no one would even know that u r older unless u tell them and I think it's okay, there's nothing wrong with being older.

Thank you this is very sweet and encouraging!! :smile:
There are people in my classes who are already eighteen and there are plenty of people at my college who are redoing first years of a levels or they're moving! It's nothing to be ashamed of and honestly unless you say something no one will notice.
Original post by StevetheIcecube
There are people in my classes who are already eighteen and there are plenty of people at my college who are redoing first years of a levels or they're moving! It's nothing to be ashamed of and honestly unless you say something no one will notice.

Ahh this has boosted my confidence a lot! Thank you :smile:
Original post by athenastudent
(This is my first post, so I apologise if I've done anything wrong haha)

I had to take around a year and a half off during my GCSE's due to illness. This resulted in me having the bare minimum of qualifications, and ended up having to do a BTEC course whilst I retake some subjects.

Because of this, I'm going to be a year older than everyone in my A Level classes. Was wondering if anyone had any experience of this and how you felt? Was it weird? Were you isolated by class members?

Hey I’m in the exact situation. I started a lvls in London then family moved so I’m having to take time off until next year so i can start the courses. If you’ve already started how is it?

Quick Reply

Latest