Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you scared of having a general anasthetic or not? watch

If you had to have an operation under General anasthetic (for a minor operation for arguments sake) would you be scared of the anaesthetic or more or less fine with it? Was just wondering how many people fear GA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If you had to have an operation under General anasthetic (for a minor operation for arguments sake) would you be scared of the anaesthetic or more or less fine with it? Was just wondering how many people fear GA
    No I Wouldn't be afraid. I've had one

ReputationRep:
    It always feels a bit nerve wracking just before you go in but anesthetists are very good at putting you at ease.

ReputationRep:
    Nah it's fun, I remember they tried confusing me when the injection went in then this guy was blowing a balloon and when it popped I fell asleep lol
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd personally be scared but I've been OK under general anaesthetic before so I'd have to keep reminding myself of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Id love to , alot of it , cos alot of it can kill u , im so stressed out i wanna die most of the times!!!

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. I had surgery three times because of ingrowing toenails, and each time I opted for a general anaesthetic rather than a local one, as I didn't really want to see the surgery happen. It felt just like falling asleep, just a bit more sudden, and knowing I was about to become unconscious was a little weird. I know it's a bit riskier than local, but the chances of anything happening aren't big enough to worry about it.

(Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    Not at all. I had surgery three times because of ingrowing toenails, and each time I opted for a general anaesthetic rather than a local one, as I didn't really want to see the surgery happen. It felt just like falling asleep, just a bit more sudden, and knowing I was about to become unconscious was a little weird. I know it's a bit riskier than local, but the chances of anything happening aren't big enough to worry about it.
    Were you more worried the first time? I've never had one and may need one but I'm extremely worried I suppose because I e fainted a few times for various reasons and acted the feeling of losing consciousness. I'm also scared of feeling/being sick lol and this tends to happen if I take a new medication or something. I'm not a total wimp, I used to be the kid who climbed the highest tree in the neighbourhood. But yea just wish I could not be scared

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty fun. Had it twice for two operations.

ReputationRep:
    I'd always choose a local over a general just cos it's much lower risk.

ReputationRep:
    Were you more worried the first time? I've never had one and may need one but I'm extremely worried I suppose because I e fainted a few times for various reasons and acted the feeling of losing consciousness. I'm also scared of feeling/being sick lol and this tends to happen if I take a new medication or something. I'm not a total wimp, I used to be the kid who climbed the highest tree in the neighbourhood. But yea just wish I could not be scared
    The first time was over five years ago, so I don't remember it too much, but I don't think I was particularly scared - but I imagine being scared is quite normal. It really is just like falling asleep, losing consciousness in the same way that you do every night. And of course, you're monitored while you are unconscious, so it's extremely safe. The worst part is being slightly disorientated when you wake up (in that respect it's different from sleep), but the overall process is nothing to be concerned about. If you're nervous at the time, the medics will do their best to calm you down.

ReputationRep:
    i like it actually, ive both it a few times

ReputationRep:
    I read in the Scientific American at one point that having general anaesthesia can permanently affect your brain in bad ways, and that's put me right off. Then again, I'm also signed up to the Anthony Nolan Trust, which means I've basically already consented to them that they can put me under general anaesthesia if they think taking stem cells straight out of my bones is the best way to get at them.

(Original post by sdotd)
    i like it actually, ive both it a few times
    How come you like it? Hah

ReputationRep:
    I've had it and , yup, I was totally and utterly petrified ! Probably just a fear of the unknown, it turned out to be totally fine , literally like blinking and three hours have past. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    How come you like it? Hah
    haha Im not sure but I think it's because i've also had local anesthetic and do not like the feeling
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Had general and local many times. Would recommend general, great fun! 😊

ReputationRep:
    I've only had it once and it wasn't scary.

I've had "sedation" a few times and tbh the process feels exactly the same. You count back from 10 then you're out and wake up later. Difference is with sedation they can still tell you to do stuff and you can react but I don't remember anything.

ReputationRep:
    Had it over a year ago and it was wonderful. I felt so refreshed when I woke up not like in my childhood when it made you feel groggy. Wish i could have it every night to go to sleep. Bliss.

ReputationRep:
    I'm more petrified of the needles than the general anaesthetic itself, to be honest.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2017
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.