Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you scared of having a general anasthetic or not? Watch

I'm not very scared of it. I've had it 4 or 5 times now because of a burn on my hand. The worst part is the smell when the mask goes over your face. Also waking up with a nurse staring into your face isn't very nice 😂

ReputationRep:
    I've had GA in my childhood I was so scared but it was all good nonetheless

ReputationRep:
    I recently had my appendix removed in an emergency operation. Before my GA I felt sick with nerves, when I was on the bed in the operating theatre I was crying from being so scared. At first they give you something to make you feel lightheaded and relaxed and then you're asleep. I woke up and cried for about 2 hours! Won't have it again if I can avoid it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've had it 3 times now and it doesn't scare me anymore. They injected into my hand via a cannula and also gave me a gas mask and told me to take deep breaths, it's a lot like falling asleep but just being a bit more aware of the fact you feel light-headed and sleepy. After the second operation I woke up paralysed from the neck down because I was allergic to the particular kind of anaesthetic they'd used, it had shot right up my body instead of largely staying in my leg which is where I was being operated on. Most people would be freaking out but I was surprisingly calm, my mum was a crying wreck though. I just had to be monitored for a while and wasn't allowed to go back up to my room till it had passed my stomach again.

I've had another operation since that and it went fine, I just told the nurse what had happened the previous time during my pre-op and there were no problems.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I've had it before, and wouldn't be worried about having to do it again
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If you had to have an operation under General anasthetic (for a minor operation for arguments sake) would you be scared of the anaesthetic or more or less fine with it? Was just wondering how many people fear GA
    When I had my first surgery I was pretty nervous. I wasn't scared of anything bad happening, but just generally freaking out a bit cos I didn't know what was going to happen, if it was going to hurt or if i'd feel sick etc etc. I wasn't specifically nervous about the GA, but it got mixed up with all the freaking out all the same.

Anyway it went absolutely fine and now i've experienced it once and know what happens i'm not nervous about it any more. I've since had another GA surgery and a sedation and i've been totally fine with it.
    I can see why people would be scared of it and can obviously understand general nervousness about a procedure, but I think half the fear comes from just not knowing what to expect- that was the case for me at least.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Were you more worried the first time? I've never had one and may need one but I'm extremely worried I suppose because I e fainted a few times for various reasons and acted the feeling of losing consciousness. I'm also scared of feeling/being sick lol and this tends to happen if I take a new medication or something. I'm not a total wimp, I used to be the kid who climbed the highest tree in the neighbourhood. But yea just wish I could not be scared
    Hope it's not for anything serious and if you do end up needing it it sorts things out.

I've never fainted before, but i'm pretty sure it's quite a different experience. With GA you know it's coming cos the anaesthesiologist (annoying word) tells you what's going on and you know when it's going in. You just lay down on the bed and relax. If you're anything like me you'll feel a bit dizzy and then not even notice loosing consciousness.
    As for feeling sick you can let them know about that. They have stuff to help you not feel sick. I've had it before for something else and it works well.

For me, the worst part was caused by me being so nervous. Once I was layed down on the bed and they told me what was going to happen I felt a lot less bad. It's best if you just try to stay calm and roll with it. And tell whoever is there what worries you have so they know what to help you with. If they know you're scared of the feeling of loosing consciousness they can talk to you so you don't notice and if they know you're worried about feeling sick they can look out for it and offer anti-nausea stuff.
    Sometimes they'll let you bring in something to help you stay calm too- like a cuddly toy. If you think that would help you you can ask about it.

If you want to know anything about how stuff works you can ask me. Obviously it varies a little from place to place, but I can tell you how it went for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Hope it's not for anything serious and if you do end up needing it it sorts things out.

I've never fainted before, but i'm pretty sure it's quite a different experience. With GA you know it's coming cos the anaesthesiologist (annoying word) tells you what's going on and you know when it's going in. You just lay down on the bed and relax. If you're anything like me you'll feel a bit dizzy and then not even notice loosing consciousness.
    Not in the UK. We're just anaesthetists here.

I've had one when I was a child, but have given close to 2000. Wouldn't bother me if I needed it done.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be more concerned about why I needed this in the first place
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Not in the UK. We're just anaesthetists here.

I've had one when I was a child, but have given close to 2000. Wouldn't bother me if I needed it done.
    Well that's a lot easier! GO UK WORDS!

ReputationRep:
    I had it once when I had a tonsillectomy as a child, I was sick for the rest of the day afterwards, so I'm terrified of the idea of having it again. I'd probably refuse unless they guaranteed I'd get anti-emetic medication.

ReputationRep:
    I had a GA for a tonsillectomy about 5 years ago and I was pretty scared, but I don't think it was specifically about the anaesthetic. I recently had a cortisone injection into my hip and was initially supposed to have a general, but ended up having a local. In hindsight it worked out better as I could go home much earlier. If I have to have surgery on my hip though obviously I will have a general.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.