Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trump stumbles from one disaster to the next Watch

ReputationRep:
    Four political landmines have blown up in Trump's face today.

(1) Kellyanne Conway, Trump's Minister of Propaganda, had to be "counselled" (disciplined) by the White House for saying on television that it is Americans patriotic duty to buy Ivanka Trump's *****y clothing brand, and that the company Nordstrom's decision to stop promoting it (because it was losing money) was a direct political attack on the president. Apparently these days, failing to enrich the president and his disgusting offspring is now treasonous. This is the "draining the swamp" we were promised? Trump voters were so gullible

(2) After the US Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the temporary restraining order against the Trump "Muslim ban" (or whatever you want to call it), in which the district federal court had made an injunction preventing the ban being implemented while the issue is litigated in federal court, after that ruling Trump tweeted an attack on the judges and said "See you in court" (seemingly not realising he had seen them in court, and lost twice). The White House has now announced that they won't "see them in court" and have decided not to appeal it to the Supreme Court.

(3) The MI6 dossier that discussed Trump's compromise by Russian intelligence, and the extensive links between the Kremlin and the Russian shills in his campaign, has now been partially verified by US intelligence (http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/10/po...ate/index.html). The FBI and US intelligence is continuing its investigation into links between Trump advisers and Russia, and the general allegations of the dossier. When reached for comment, Spicer said "We continue to be disgusted by CNN's fake news reporting". The Trump administration are like children, they just cry "fake news, fake news" every time they get caught out.

(4) Michael Flynn, the Russian shill Trump appointed to be National Security Adviser has been exposed as a liar and a Kremlin accomplice. During the presidential transition, he spoke on the phone with the Russian ambassador, and texted each other, repeatedly. When questioned on this, Flynn said they were merely exchanging pleasantries and working out the logistics of a future meeting. It has now been revealed that Flynn actually discussed with the Russian ambassador removing sanctions against them, and he made comments along the lines of, "Don't worry, when we're in the White House we'll fix it for you. Don't concern yourself with these new sanctions by President Obama". In other words, he seems to identify himself more with Russia than the President of the United States at that time.

I emphasise, all these ****-ups and revelations are just in a single day. The Trump administration is the most incompetent we've ever seen, as it stumbles from one self-created disaster to the next. They're also insanely thin-skinned and obsessed with negative media coverage; if any media organisation reports something they think is negative, they get extremely angry and upset, and start shrieking "fake news" and devoting large amounts of time to it during press briefings. It's almost like they think the 24 hour media cycle is real life, and instead of viewing the media cycle as something periphery, an unpleasant but necessary adjunct to the business of governing, they appear to view the business of governing as an adjunct to fighting media battles. They don't seem to understand the concept of choosing your battles. And thus Trump's approval rating is getting worse and worse; he's already the most unpopular president in decades and this is only a couple of weeks in. I'd give good odds that Trump is impeached or resigns

ReputationRep:
    The difference between Trump and Clinton is that if she had been in charge most of these people would have had sudden seizures/heart attacks/car accidents/suicides and numerous other unexplained deaths.

I can tell you must love reading fiction if you believe anything CNN says.

Trump is clearly not a politician but for me that is a definite reason to trust his naivety, his exuberance, his honesty, his emotions and his fortitude. He won't be everyone's cup of tea but I know he is doing what is best for America not the rest of the world. Did Obama do that - no. Would Clinton have done that - no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nutz99)
    The difference between Trump and Clinton is that if she had been in charge most of these people would have had sudden seizures/heart attacks/car accidents/suicides and numerous other unexplained deaths.
    Put the bong down, mate.

He won't be everyone's cup of tea but I know he is doing what is best for America
    :lol:

ReputationRep:

I can tell you must love reading fiction if you believe anything CNN says.
    TSR is amazing, but this right here has got to be the most fantastical thing I have ever read.

Going from accusing Clinton of mass faked accident murders to calling CNN fiction. This post is a work of art!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    TSR is amazing, but this right here has got to be the most fantastical thing I have ever read.

Going from accusing Clinton of mass faked accident murders to calling CNN fiction. This post is a work of art!
    Just have a go at Clinton and see how long you last. You could be number 34!

Most of the US knows CNN as the Crooked News Network for good reason.

ReputationRep:

I suppose. I have come round to the alternative facts of Trump, they just make so much more sense, don't they?

ReputationRep:
    You're kidding, right?

US Presidents sometimes get up to that kind of stuff abroad, sure. Some even get away with doing it to "subversives" at home. But Congress won't look the other way when its own power structures are being targeted. Nixon tried a tiny sliver of what you're suggesting, and he was utterly slaughtered for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    I suppose. I have come round to the alternative facts of Trump, they just make so much more sense, don't they?
    If you just listened to CNN then you'd think that Trump was the anti-Christ.

The guy is far from perfect and on past performance is going to put his foot in his mouth on many occasions, probably ignoring his advisors and just saying the first thing that comes into his head.

Career politicians on the other hand are devious, dishonest, deceitful, corrupt and greedy. They are taught how to smile while they lie. Obama was the master of that.

Trump is a different animal. He says what he thinks not what people want to hear. Mock as much as you want but at least he is not screwing the US over for his own benefit.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to warm to Trump simply for the comedy value of his car crash presidency.

As for Sean Spicer and Kellyanne Conway, I haven't had this much fun watching apparatchiks since Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf graced our TV screens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    X
    Are you so delusional that you actually think Trump is doing well? Even people in his own administration are leaking that it's complete chaos, riven by incompetence and factionalism. The debacle of the "Muslim ban" and their resulting losses in court are entirely reflective of the 'amateur hour' character of this administration. In fact, his staff are such morons that they had meetings sitting in the dark because they couldn't find the light switches.

Six months from now you won't be able to find anyone on TSR admitting they supported him. In any case, Trump's election is the best thing that could have happened to the American left. A Clinton presidency would have resulted in progressive fatigue and discredit. But Trump is so manifestly incompetent, so manifestly corrupt, so manifestly unsuited to the position, that his presidency is one that is simultaneously firing up the progressive left en masse while also being so incompetent that the fired-up left can demolish it with the ease of shooting fish in a barrel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I'm starting to warm to Trump simply for the comedy value of his car crash presidency.

As for Sean Spicer and Kellyanne Conway, I haven't had this much fun watching apparatchiks since Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf graced our TV screens.
    :lol: Well said, dude.

The Orange Fuhrer is going to be far less dangerous than we feared because they are so incompetent that they can't accomplish anything they set out to do, and they are so corrupt and obnoxious that the rising tide of opposition against them will frustrate them at every turn.

It's hilarious reading the leaks coming out of his fractious, incompetent administration about how Trump watches a lot of TV, particularly CNN (which he claims to hate), and then gets worked up about all the "fake news" (i.e. accurate reporting about his incompetence). The first day of his presidency, Trump ordered Sean Spicer to go out and berate the media over their reporting about his small inauguration crowds; that really says everything about their priorities (and of course it backfired).

I suspect Bannon and Flynn will be the first to go. Bannon thinks he's far cleverer than he actually is; he thought the "Muslim ban" was going to be this great political victory, something that looked like a Muslim ban (and would be perceived as such by his supporters) without actually doing anything that might offend Muslim countries that matter (like Saudi Arabia),. Bannon said that the ban would "shock and awe" the opposition, confuse and wrongfoot them. But they've simply wrongfooted themselves with their complete and utter incompetence.

They're finding that running the United States government is a lot harder than running some *****y neo-Nazi website or a family company. Nothing you do at the level of national government is a pure win; everything you do effects everything else in a thousand ways, and there are always unintended second- and third-order consequences. They're approaching the task of governing in exactly the same way they approached campaigning, and they're finding that the result is chaos. But they're not smart enough to adapt. Trump will toss Bannon and Flynn overboard, the former because he keeps ****ing up and advising Trump to do stupid things, the latter because his obvious allegiance to Russia is becoming a serious political liability. But ultimately Trump is the one who will be tossed overboard, either by impeachment or by a midterm congressional loss so withering that he will basically be a lame duck until he loses in 2020.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)

Worth checking out this Politico article about Trump suddenly realising being president is hard. It talks about how he finds the complexity of being president confusing and upsetting. The upshot, the article says, is that he loves the trappings of being president, like sitting at the desk in the Oval Office, so I suppose there's that.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...sidency-234879

Being president is harder than Donald Trump thought, according to aides and allies who say that he’s growing increasingly frustrated with the challenges of running the massive federal bureaucracy.

In interviews, nearly two dozen people who’ve spent time with Trump in the three weeks since his inauguration said that his mood has careened between surprise and anger as he’s faced the predictable realities of governing, from congressional delays over his cabinet nominations and legal fights holding up his aggressive initiatives to staff in-fighting and leaks.

The administration’s rocky opening days have been a setback for a president who, as a billionaire businessman, sold himself to voters as being uniquely qualified to fix what ailed the nation. Yet it has become apparent, say those close to the president, most of whom requested anonymity to describe the inner workings of the White House, that the transition from overseeing a family business to running the country has been tough on him.

Trump often asks simple questions about policies, proposals and personnel. And, when discussions get bogged down in details, the president has been known to quickly change the subject — to "seem in control at all times," one senior government official said — or direct questions about details to his chief strategist Steve Bannon, his son-in-law Jared Kushner or House Speaker Paul Ryan. Trump has privately expressed disbelief over the ability of judges, bureaucrats or lawmakers to delay — or even stop — him from filling positions and implementing policies.

ReputationRep:

The guy is far from perfect and on past performance is going to put his foot in his mouth on many occasions, probably ignoring his advisors and just saying the first thing that comes into his head.

Career politicians on the other hand are devious, dishonest, deceitful, corrupt and greedy. They are taught how to smile while they lie. Obama was the master of that.

Trump is a different animal. He says what he thinks not what people want to hear. Mock as much as you want but at least he is not screwing the US over for his own benefit.
    You sir are an artist!

ReputationRep:

It is just a shame Trump only represents those who voted for him. He is dividing the US every day that passes. I also note that his stance on immigration has moved away from protecting the nation to the fact that he must be seen to be winning. Trump isn'tabout the US. It is about him and his own perveived image as a winner. In politics, those who always win are generally called dictators. True politicians are able to compromise in order to find the deal that satisfies most people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    It is just a shame Trump only represents those who voted for him. He is dividing the US every day that passes. I also note that his stance on immigration has moved away from protecting the nation to the fact that he must be seen to be winning. Trump isn'tabout the US. It is about him and his own perveived image as a winner. In politics, those who always win are generally called dictators. True politicians are able to compromise in order to find the deal that satisfies most people.
    What if I told you the US has been divided since Obama's first term?

Racially divided, I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    What if I told you the US has been divided since Obama's first term?

Racially divided, I mean.
    The US has always been divided racially. But Obama's tone was one of unity. He presided over the country as a whole. I have not really heard anything from Trump to suggest that he cares for anyone other than himself. Only this morning, one of his aids was talking in an interview about how the courts should respect the wishes of the President. Since when did a democracy give supreme power to the President over the law? In a dictatorship of course.

ReputationRep:

Would that "majority of the US" happened to have also voted for Trump?

ReputationRep:

He may not be the anti-Christ, but he's got a fake tan from Hell.

ReputationRep:
    I strongly supported Trump partly in order because I did not want the vile Hillary to become President. I do not regret doing so. He can always be impeached, or forced to resign, or failing that, be overthrown via a military coup, so it is far from the end of the world if his presidency results in unmitigated failure.

Unfortunately it appears that Trump has not displayed the competence I thought would emerge once the necessary burdens of office had been placed upon his shoulders. Picking fights over absurd things like the size of the crowd at his inauguration is a clear display of strategic incoherence and chaotic management. Attacking the mainstream media, whilst often justified, loses its effect when done constantly and simply bores people.

I am also concerned that Trump's closeness to Russia is not abating, and every day is being proven to be more and more genuine. As AlexanderHam mentioned, the intimate links between key administration officials and Russia is becoming more apparent by the day. One questions whether they are serving America or Russia. If Obama had been doing this with a Muslim country, there would have been rightful outrage. His secret negotiations with the evil empire of Iran were one thing. The open and unashamed fraternisation between Putin and the Trump administration is another.

And I was bowled over by Trump's idiotic equivalence between Russia and the USA. "You think we're so innocent?" sounds like a standard Chomskyite, left-wing, anti-American thing to say. America is far from perfect, but it is not Putin's Russia, and Trump, if he were a true patriot, would know this.

But I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were on the American left. The Democrats are weak, divided and with no obvious talent on their side. Remember how many candidates stood for the Republican nomination back in 2015? There is no shortage of talented Republicans (Pence aside) to replace Trump. The Democrats are led by a bunch of old white guys with a smattering of vapid, over-promoted ethnic minority individuals like Ellison alongside them, whose fixation with identity politics will not win them back the White House. They need someone like Bill Clinton to lead them to victory. Otherwise they're screwed for a generation. All the people that voted Republican in the general elections won't suddenly change their mind because of Trump.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.