Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would it be a bad idea to mention 4chan in a presentation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So in one section I want to talk about great/successful websites that have been made by one person. 4chan is an example of this. Would it be bad to mention because it's associated with alt-right and contains a lot of NSFW sections (though they are noted as NSFW on the site so it's not like you'll accidentally enter them)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefine)
    So in one section I want to talk about great/successful websites that have been made by one person. 4chan is an example of this. Would it be bad to mention because it's associated with alt-right and contains a lot of NSFW sections (though they are noted as NSFW on the site so it's not like you'll accidentally enter them)
    It's a well known site and arguably highly influential, if you are using them as a source then it would be but for this type of presentation it seems like a good example.
    • Very Important Poster

It depends how you do it. If its insightful, intelligent and relevant, then its valid, if you just look like a groupie and an idiot then maybe not so wise. Consider your audience and your task.

ReputationRep:
    Also consider your lecturer - have they ever referenced anything similar? what is their personality like? do you know an older student you can ask?

I suspect if you do it well you will be okay to discuss 4chan, but there may be more pressure to have a really good presentation.

ReputationRep:
    If you're just using it as an example along with a few other websites like it such as Ebay and Amazon then I think it should be fine but if you're talking about it at length and make it the main point then I'd avoid it.

ReputationRep:
    No.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.