Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Told my therapist today that my gf is my first, he laughed Watch

I was talking to my talk-therapist today about my childhood and we got to talking about puberty and girls and when he enquired about my "first girlfriend", I told him that it was my current one when I was 19 - we've been together for 10 years now. He laughed loudly and was like "first and only!".

It made me feel kind of bad, like maybe he thinks I am only with her because she was my first and no one else wanted me, which isn't true at all. I see myself marrying this girl but is that kind of pathetic? He made me feel like a lesser man that I'm 29 (I am a student hence me posting here) and have only been with one girl.

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was talking to my talk-therapist today about my childhood and we got to talking about puberty and girls and when he enquired about my "first girlfriend", I told him that it was my current one when I was 19 - we've been together for 10 years now. He laughed loudly and was like "first and only!".

It made me feel kind of bad, like maybe he thinks I am only with her because she was my first and no one else wanted me, which isn't true at all. I see myself marrying this girl but is that kind of pathetic? He made me feel like a lesser man that I'm 29 (I am a student hence me posting here) and have only been with one girl.

What do you guys think?
    It doesn't matter what he thinks. Laughing is very unprofessional. Report him and get a new one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

What do you guys think?
    Nothing wrong with "First and Only"

ReputationRep:
    No way. I think it's kind of sweet that you met the girl you wanted to marry when you were children. SO ****ING ADORABLE.
    *squeeeee*

Plus, there's no shame in not having dated loads of people or whatever, as long as you don't fell like you're missing out.

So yeah. What a *****y response from your therapist.

ReputationRep:
    That's commendable. Perhaps it was a jest in good faith, not him making fun of you.

ReputationRep:
    Some of these therapists are in the job to make them feel more content about their crappy lives. Get a new one and report him for it.
    • Welcome Squad

I think it's beautiful that you've been with your girl for 10 years. I see that as relationship goals :love:

If your therapist is making you feel uncomfortable then leave them and get a new one. He may have laughed because he was surprised and not in a negative way bit as I said, if they are making you feel uncomfortable get a new one

ReputationRep:
    lol thats a good thing. Thats like a fairy tale everyone wants. Wish I had that kind of relationship.

He's probably jealous because he's single lmao.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Tbh I did kind of worry people here would laugh at me for not being "manly" enough (ie. sleeping with a lot of girls) so it's nice that everyone has been so nice.

He's been a great therapist before this so I'm wary of asking to change because we really get on. I don't know if it's just my insecurities here, maybe he meant nothing by it, but at the time and until right now it really got to me. I love my girlfriend and don't feel like I'm missing anything, but I am in therapy for depression and I know that sometimes I do allow myself to read too much into things.... :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Mention it to him and I'm sure he'll clarify. My guess is he meant it in a jokey way and isn't laughing AT you.

#relationshipgoals 😆😆😍. I think it's really cute that your girlfriend is your one and only. and sleeping around and using girls doesn't make you manly it makes you a piece of **** lol. if your therapist is making you feel uncomfortable get a new one 😊😊

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.