Lottery Watch

This discussion is closed.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Happysunshine, what are your views on City fraudsters?
happysunshine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
All of which is irrelevant to the topic discussed here. If you wish to discuss the death penatly perhaps it would be better to start a new thread.

How is it irrelevant? I'm thinking he should be dead, rather than be rewarded with 7 million.

Wrong. Hoare still clearly had rights, it's just that some of his rights that he had a free citizen were taken away from him.

Writes are created by people, and in my opinion, he really doesn't deserve many.

For example, in prison he had the right not to be beaten up, the right to be fed, the right for some recreational time.

I know what they are, and I definitely do not agree with them.

The fact that he was let out on weekend release clearly demonstrates that those in the prison felt he was rehabilitated to the extent where he could be allowed to readjust to life in society.

And, they always get it so right, don't they?
So the real question is
Even then, this isn't the real question, because there are no explicit laws protecting Hoare and his money. Hoare is entitled to his money because there is no one law which says his winnings should be redistributed because of his crimes, and there was no law in place which said that prisoners could not play the lottery.

Well what a soft country we are then. He breaks laws, yet they protect him. If he can pick and choose which laws he wants to follow, then so should we.

To say the law is protecting Hoare is a lie. However, that does not mean that it would be unreasonable to change the law so that prisoners, in future, cannot play the lottery whilst in custody. In the meantime, there is nothing that the government can do to strip him of his wealth. As was said, life is unfair, deal with it.

Don't pretend I'm the do-gooder in all this. You folk with the views that he should keep the money are. I don't think most of you realise the effect of being raped would have and how traumatic it is for the rest of your life. Many victims never lead a normal life. What if it was the rapist who raped your mother, winning all that money, whilst she recieved nothing? You should realise that people are envolved, you really should.

Well I'm not one to say all rapes, murders are the same so I wont do so in this case. Personally though the effect isn't as bad as rape or murder.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)

Well I'm not one to say all rapes, murders are the same so I wont do so in this case. Personally though the effect isn't as bad as rape or murder.
Well many of these fraudsters live in a life of luxury far better than te rapist in question. That's all I was getting at on that note.
jpowell
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Whenever someone wins the lottery people are jealous. In most cases you cannot complain without seeming like a whining ninny. In the case of the women with cancer who won complaining would make you seem like a retard. In the case of the guy who spent it all on drugs you are at least justified.

This case is different because the guy has commited a horrific crime, but that gives you no more right to say the money should be redistributed. In fact you are nothing buy a hypocrite if you don't think the lottery should just be scrapped completely. The random redistribution of money is never going to be fair because every now and again lowlives are going to win.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Well many of these fraudsters live in a life of luxury far better than te rapist in question. That's all I was getting at on that note.
Hmm, maybe but you can't compare them imo.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmm, maybe but you can't compare them imo.
Do you actually realise the effects of fraud on the whole?
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Do you actually realise the effects of fraud on the whole?
I'm not a money person. Unless they envolve people scared to go out their front door or dead etc. I don't really care.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Unless they envolve people scared to go out their front door or dead etc. I don't really care.
Same thing happens with bullying and criminal damage, and arguably, prostitution.
tkfmbp
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well what a soft country we are then. He breaks laws, yet they protect him. If he can pick and choose which laws he wants to follow, then so should we.
No offence, but you've just spat your dummy out again. If he can jump off the nearest tall building should we all do the same ? I don't think so. In any case, it's a completely invalid statement imo. He broke a law, for which he was rightly punished. Can you please provide some evidence as to 'picking and choosing' which laws he wishes to obey ? I think you'll find that he can't pick and choose which laws he wants to follow, because if he does, he'll be rightly punished for those he chooses to ignore.

Doing the same, as you suggest, would merely makes us as horrific as him.
You also mention somewhere that "there are people envolved (sic)". Well the same applies. What about him as a person ? Should we not take into account his situation or feelings...bearing in mind that two wrongs don't make a right! Of course we should. Maybe the money will be the next step in his rehabilitation. Maybe it won't. At least give him the chance to find out.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tkfmbp)
He broke a law, for which he was rightly punished.
rightly punished?? maybe within the definitions of our flimsy prison system. catagory D holiday camps along with weekend visits to supermarkets for a crime with a tenuous 'life imprisonment' term is not in many opinions 'rightly punished.

besides, he hasn't even been 'rightly punished' within the scope of these laws yet as he hasn't served his full sentence.

Can you please provide some evidence as to 'picking and choosing' which laws he wishes to obey ? I think you'll find that he can't pick and choose which laws he wants to follow, because if he does, he'll be rightly punished for those he chooses to ignore.
you seem to have a lot of confidence in the legal system. what about crimes for which he may have not been caught? does that mean he's not 'picking and choosing' laws if he's not being punished for them. it's only the stuff he's that we know about that we can punish in any situation.

You also mention somewhere that "there are people envolved (sic)". Well the same applies. What about him as a person ? Should we not take into account his situation or feelings...bearing in mind that two wrongs don't make a right! Of course we should.
a statement full of cliches but with little backing. which two wrongs don't make a right, and why?

Maybe the money will be the next step in his rehabilitation. Maybe it won't. At least give him the chance to find out.
er, yes, cos he's the victim in all of this..

on a related note, i think he should be entitled to his money as he was well within his legal rights to buy the lottery ticket. he would not have got it refunded if he didn't win so how can be argue otherwise?
however, i think we should use any available means (civil courts for compensation etc.) available to get the money off him and give it to someone who doesn't class rape under their extra-curricular activities. but that would be too much of a perfect world.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No offence, but you've just spat your dummy out again. If he can jump off the nearest tall building should we all do the same ? I don't think so. In any case, it's a completely invalid statement imo. He broke a law, for which he was rightly punished. Can you please provide some evidence as to 'picking and choosing' which laws he wishes to obey ? I think you'll find that he can't pick and choose which laws he wants to follow, because if he does, he'll be rightly punished for those he chooses to ignore.

You also mention somewhere that "there are people envolved (sic)". Well the same applies. What about him as a person ? Should we not take into account his situation or feelings...bearing in mind that two wrongs don't make a right! Of course we should. Maybe the money will be the next step in his rehabilitation. Maybe it won't. At least give him the chance to find out.
LOL "rightly punished" - whatever. As the current system stands he hasn't been properly punished for the lives he's mucked up and that's before giving him 7 million!

I don't give a s*** about his feelings. And I don't see why taking 7 million off a rapist is as bad as raping? Haha.

I'm tired of this thread. Maybe one day you'll see and you'll be effected by these cruel people, then maybe you wouldn't want them getting 7 million.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm tired of this thread.
Then stop posting, no one is forcing you to
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Then stop posting, no one is forcing you to
I intend to but you're all annoying me...
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I intend to but you're all annoying me...
Well I can see this thread lasting for some time now
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well I can see this thread lasting for some time now
lol - well I'm off so it wont because of me! But if someone says something totally wrong, I'll answer back.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But if someone says something totally wrong
In your opinion
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In your opinion
Ha no - my opinion is always the right j/k
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ha no - my opinion is always the right j/k
I thought you were going? :rolleyes:
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I thought you were going? :rolleyes:
Well yes I am. Ciao.
Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
All of which is irrelevant to the topic discussed here. If you wish to discuss the death penatly perhaps it would be better to start a new thread.

How is it irrelevant? I'm thinking he should be dead, rather than be rewarded with 7 million.

Wrong. Hoare still clearly had rights, it's just that some of his rights that he had a free citizen were taken away from him.

Writes are created by people, and in my opinion, he really doesn't deserve many.

For example, in prison he had the right not to be beaten up, the right to be fed, the right for some recreational time.

I know what they are, and I definitely do not agree with them.

The fact that he was let out on weekend release clearly demonstrates that those in the prison felt he was rehabilitated to the extent where he could be allowed to readjust to life in society.

And, they always get it so right, don't they?
So the real question is
Even then, this isn't the real question, because there are no explicit laws protecting Hoare and his money. Hoare is entitled to his money because there is no one law which says his winnings should be redistributed because of his crimes, and there was no law in place which said that prisoners could not play the lottery.

To say the law is protecting Hoare is a lie. However, that does not mean that it would be unreasonable to change the law so that prisoners, in future, cannot play the lottery whilst in custody. In the meantime, there is nothing that the government can do to strip him of his wealth. As was said, life is unfair, deal with it.

Don't pretend I'm the do-gooder in all this. You folk with the views that he should keep the money are. I don't think most of you realise the effect of being raped would have and how traumatic it is for the rest of your life. Many victims never lead a normal life. What if it was the rapist who raped your mother, winning all that money, whilst she recieved nothing? You should realise that people are envolved, you really should.

Firstly, learn how to quote properly. Dissecting this diatribe is going to prove very difficult. Secondly, learn the difference between your opinion and reality. The fact is, whether or not Hoare deserves to win the lottery, he has. Yes, this is greatly unfair, but to strip him of this money would be both illegal and immoral (unless you believe two wrongs can make a right ). The gist of your post is that you believe that he does not deserve the legal protection he has. Well, I think thats wrong. Without this legal protection our criminal justice system would degenerate to the level of that of China or North Korea. The fact is, the use of the death penalty or forced labour, or even starvation and poor jailing conditions are a contravention of his human rights. To deny him his human rights is to act as barbarically as he has towards his victim. And, what if (hypothetically) it was a wrong conviction? Legal protection of the kind afforded to Hoare ensures that mistakes can be rectified in the case of a mis-conviction. As you rightly pointed out, our justice system isn't infallible.

The fact of the matter is that scumbags can win the lottery, and his playing of the lottery was perfectly legal. No doubt legislation will rightly be put in place to change this, but Hoare should keep his winnings, no matter how unfair this seems. Maybe when he is released he will put it to good use.

Lastly, I would have answered your post more fully and clearly, but I couldn't be bothered distinguishing all your quotes.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads