Lottery Watch

This discussion is closed.
happysunshine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by carldaman)
Firstly, learn how to quote properly. Dissecting this diatribe is going to prove very difficult. Secondly, learn the difference between your opinion and reality. The fact is, whether or not Hoare deserves to win the lottery, he has. Yes, this is greatly unfair, but to strip him of this money would be both illegal and immoral (unless you believe two wrongs can make a right ). The gist of your post is that you believe that he does not deserve the legal protection he has. Well, I think thats wrong. Without this legal protection our criminal justice system would degenerate to the level of that of China or North Korea. The fact is, the use of the death penalty or forced labour, or even starvation and poor jailing conditions are a contravention of his human rights. To deny him his human rights is to act as barbarically as he has towards his victim. And, what if (hypothetically) it was a wrong conviction? Legal protection of the kind afforded to Hoare ensures that mistakes can be rectified in the case of a mis-conviction. As you rightly pointed out, our justice system isn't infallible.

The fact of the matter is that scumbags can win the lottery, and his playing of the lottery was perfectly legal. No doubt legislation will rightly be put in place to change this, but Hoare should keep his winnings, no matter how unfair this seems. Maybe when he is released he will put it to good use.

Lastly, I would have answered your post more fully and clearly, but I couldn't be bothered distinguishing all your quotes.
I was going to pull you up on this before newb., I mean please stop telling me what to do "create another thread", "learn how to quote properly" - um, dude I've been here way longer than you have and I think you'll find they've taken the quote button away. Why not make shorter paragraphs as it *hurts my eyes*.

What's the point of having this discussion if opinions aren't going to get envolved? Stop right now, we may as well do.

Well in your OPINION (*remember seperate opinion from reality*) he has done something wrong and by letting the victims claim it, that is also doing something wrong. But in mine, it would be the right thing to do. So it's not "two wrongs".

Well we disagree, no one has "human rights", they don't exist, it's not a birth right, but something that should be earned. I murder your child and win the lottery, still like me to keep my winnings, not want to sue me? Well anyway, I'm not going into the Korea system, as for my idea of human rights. I appreciate wrong convictions, but prevention can only save lifes, wrong convictions are rare *Maybe you'd like to start another thread for discussing death penalty?*

Put to good use? Whatever. He's had it pretty easy imo, criminals should be punished forever by not being able to ever be accepted by society, two chances are enough and he blew them.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
wrong convictions are rare
You got any figures? Just interested....
happysunshine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
You got any figures? Just interested....
I've researched the topic for school. The justice system is usually correct. With harsh punishment, it prevents criminals doing the crime and saves so many lives. It's worth it.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
I've researched the topic for school. The justice system is usually correct. With harsh punishment, it prevents criminals doing the crime and saves so many lives. It's worth it.
I'd like to know the sources. Would you think that anyone will show you that the justice system is far from perfect? Probably not.

There was a documentary about judges on Channel 4 some time ago, which showed that they are not as good as people believe them to be. This also corresponds with resarch done usualyl found in university textbooks like Michael Zander's Cases and Material for the English Legal System etc.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.77%
No - but I will (64)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (393)
47.12%

Watched Threads