Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    People praise him a lot but what did he do? I want to know
    Don't ignore please like I've been ignored in my last thread :P

ReputationRep:
    Do people not use google anymore, http://washingtonmonthly.com/magazin...complishments/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casisalive)
    Do people not use google anymore, http://washingtonmonthly.com/magazin...complishments/
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    Make it anti-racist

For about 5 minutes something happened that made America racist again...

ReputationRep:
    Many of those points don't really tell the whole story & are somewhat sugarcoated by a report which is very pro-Obama. I can refute a few of them quite easily:

1. Passed Health Care Reform: After five presidents over a century failed to create universal health insurance, signed the Affordable Care Act (2010). It will cover 32 million uninsured Americans beginning in 2014 and mandates a suite of experimental measures to cut health care cost growth, the number one cause of America’s long-term fiscal problems.
    This is about to get repealed by Trump so it certainly hasn't been a long-term success.

4. Ended the War in Iraq: Ordered all U.S. military forces out of the country. Last troops left on December 18, 2011.
    Which meant that almost half of Iraq got overrun by Da'esh. Going into Iraq in the first place was Bush's fault but Obama cut & ran which is partly why the Middle East is still alight.

10. Toppled Moammar Gaddafi: In March 2011, joined a coalition of European and Arab governments in military action, including air power and naval blockade, against Gaddafi regime to defend Libyan civilians and support rebel troops. Gaddafi’s forty-two-year rule ended when the dictator was overthrown and killed by rebels on October 20, 2011. No American lives were lost.
    I'd argue the UK & France did most of the heavy lifting here. Once again, Obama cut & ran.

13. Improved America’s Image Abroad: With new policies, diplomacy, and rhetoric, reversed a sharp decline in world opinion toward the U.S. (and the corresponding loss of “soft power”) during the Bush years. From 2008 to 2011, favorable opinion toward the United States rose in ten of fifteen countries surveyed by the Pew Global Attitudes Project, with an average increase of 26 percent.
    Maybe in some places. Obama wasn't exactly a friend to the UK. I also think that public image was sometimes more important to him than actually getting the job done.

19. Began Asia “Pivot”: In 2011, reoriented American military and diplomatic priorities and focus from the Middle East and Europe to the Asian-Pacific region. Executed multipronged strategy of positively engaging China while reasserting U.S. leadership in the region by increasing American military presence and crafting new commercial, diplomatic, and military alliances with neighboring countries made uncomfortable by recent Chinese behavior.
    This allowed a resurgent Russia to take the initiative in Eastern Europe. American armour & other units are now being sent back to Europe due to this.

25. Protected Two Liberal Seats on the U.S. Supreme Court: Nominated and obtained confirmation for Sonia Sotomayor, the first Hispanic and third woman to serve, in 2009; and Elena Kagan, the fourth woman to serve, in 2010. They replaced David Souter and John Paul Stevens, respectively.
    While I don't necessarily this this a bad thing, plenty of Americans won't have seen it in a positive light.

34. Began Post-Post-9/11 Military Builddown: After winning agreement from congressional Republicans and Democrats in summer 2011 budget deal to reduce projected defense spending by $450 billion, proposed new DoD budget this year with cuts of that size and a new national defense strategy that would shrink ground forces from 570,000 to 490,000 over the next ten years while increasing programs in intelligence gathering and cyberwarfare.
    There's concerns coming from both the US Air Force & Navy both need increased budgets to build back to the point where they should be. The USN wants to increase to 355 ships while the USAF needs more money to recruit & train more pilots. Cutting defence in the face of the troubles in the Middle East & large Chinese & Russian defence spending increases doesn't seem particularly wise either.

35. Let Space Shuttle Die and Killed Planned Moon Mission: Allowed the expensive ($1 billion per launch), badly designed, dangerous shuttle program to make its final launch on July 8, 2011. Cut off funding for even more bloated and problem-plagued Bush-era Constellation program to build moon base in favor of support for private-sector low-earth orbit ventures, research on new rocket technologies for long-distance manned flight missions, and unmanned space exploration, including the largest interplanetary rover ever launched, which will investigate Mars’s potential to support life.
    Another very biased point. I personally believe space exploration & colonisation is necessary for the survival of the human race.

49. Helped South Sudan Declare Independence: Helped South Sudan Declare Independence: Appointed two envoys to Sudan and personally attended a special UN meeting on the area. Through U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice, helped negotiate a peaceful split in 2011.
    Last I heard, both Sudan & South Sudan are warzones. That might not be all that different to how they were as one nation but I'd hardly call it a positive achievement.

50. Killed the F-22: In 2009, ended further purchases of Lockheed Martin single-seat, twin-engine, fighter aircraft, which cost $358 million apiece. Though the military had 187 built, the plane has never flown a single combat mission. Eliminating it saved $4 billion.
    The Obama administration killed the most advanced fighter aircraft program ever seen which had been in development for over 20 years after building only 187 jets. The minimum needed to be operationally effective was 339 according to the USAF. According to Wikipedia, the program itself cost $62 billion so saving $4 billion really isn't an awful lot in terms of the US Defence Budget. Now the F-35 will have to cover the shortfall in USAF stealth fighters; however, the F-35 was never designed to be an outright air-to-air platform (it's a jack of all trades, master of none aircraft with inferior A2A capabilities to the F-22). The F-35 program is also a heck of a lot more expensive (costing somewhere between $400 billion & $1.5 trillion), has had more development problems & isn't as stealthy as the F-22. Ridiculous quite frankly.

I'm certainly not saying I disagree with everything Obama did. I do think he was good man generally trying to do the right thing. I do think he's been a relatively weak President in terms of foreign policy; domestically, the Republicans outright blocked a lot of his reforms (at least in the second term) so party politics certainly hampered him. I was personally a McCain fan back in 2008 even if I perhaps agree more with the Democrats on abortion, firearms control & some other social issues.

TLDR - The Obama Presidency offered much but didn't really deliver anywhere near as much as many hoped. I'd also argue that the Obama sowed seeds that allowed Trump to unfortunately become President.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    Many of those points don't really tell the whole story & are somewhat sugarcoated by a report which is very pro-Obama. I can refute a few of them quite easily:

1. Passed Health Care Reform: After five presidents over a century failed to create universal health insurance, signed the Affordable Care Act (2010). It will cover 32 million uninsured Americans beginning in 2014 and mandates a suite of experimental measures to cut health care cost growth, the number one cause of America’s long-term fiscal problems.
    This is about to get repealed by Trump so it certainly hasn't been a long-term success.

4. Ended the War in Iraq: Ordered all U.S. military forces out of the country. Last troops left on December 18, 2011.
    Which meant that almost half of Iraq got overrun by Da'esh. Going into Iraq in the first place was Bush's fault but Obama cut & ran which is partly why the Middle East is still alight.

10. Toppled Moammar Gaddafi: In March 2011, joined a coalition of European and Arab governments in military action, including air power and naval blockade, against Gaddafi regime to defend Libyan civilians and support rebel troops. Gaddafi’s forty-two-year rule ended when the dictator was overthrown and killed by rebels on October 20, 2011. No American lives were lost.
    I'd argue the UK & France did most of the heavy lifting here. Once again, Obama cut & ran.

13. Improved America’s Image Abroad: With new policies, diplomacy, and rhetoric, reversed a sharp decline in world opinion toward the U.S. (and the corresponding loss of “soft power”) during the Bush years. From 2008 to 2011, favorable opinion toward the United States rose in ten of fifteen countries surveyed by the Pew Global Attitudes Project, with an average increase of 26 percent.
    Maybe in some places. Obama wasn't exactly a friend to the UK. I also think that public image was sometimes more important to him than actually getting the job done.

19. Began Asia “Pivot”: In 2011, reoriented American military and diplomatic priorities and focus from the Middle East and Europe to the Asian-Pacific region. Executed multipronged strategy of positively engaging China while reasserting U.S. leadership in the region by increasing American military presence and crafting new commercial, diplomatic, and military alliances with neighboring countries made uncomfortable by recent Chinese behavior.
    This allowed a resurgent Russia to take the initiative in Eastern Europe. American armour & other units are now being sent back to Europe due to this.

25. Protected Two Liberal Seats on the U.S. Supreme Court: Nominated and obtained confirmation for Sonia Sotomayor, the first Hispanic and third woman to serve, in 2009; and Elena Kagan, the fourth woman to serve, in 2010. They replaced David Souter and John Paul Stevens, respectively.
    While I don't necessarily this this a bad thing, plenty of Americans won't have seen it in a positive light.

34. Began Post-Post-9/11 Military Builddown: After winning agreement from congressional Republicans and Democrats in summer 2011 budget deal to reduce projected defense spending by $450 billion, proposed new DoD budget this year with cuts of that size and a new national defense strategy that would shrink ground forces from 570,000 to 490,000 over the next ten years while increasing programs in intelligence gathering and cyberwarfare.
    There's concerns coming from both the US Air Force & Navy both need increased budgets to build back to the point where they should be. The USN wants to increase to 355 ships while the USAF needs more money to recruit & train more pilots. Cutting defence in the face of the troubles in the Middle East & large Chinese & Russian defence spending increases doesn't seem particularly wise either.

35. Let Space Shuttle Die and Killed Planned Moon Mission: Allowed the expensive ($1 billion per launch), badly designed, dangerous shuttle program to make its final launch on July 8, 2011. Cut off funding for even more bloated and problem-plagued Bush-era Constellation program to build moon base in favor of support for private-sector low-earth orbit ventures, research on new rocket technologies for long-distance manned flight missions, and unmanned space exploration, including the largest interplanetary rover ever launched, which will investigate Mars’s potential to support life.
    Another very biased point. I personally believe space exploration & colonisation is necessary for the survival of the human race.

49. Helped South Sudan Declare Independence: Helped South Sudan Declare Independence: Appointed two envoys to Sudan and personally attended a special UN meeting on the area. Through U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice, helped negotiate a peaceful split in 2011.
    Last I heard, both Sudan & South Sudan are warzones. That might not be all that different to how they were as one nation but I'd hardly call it a positive achievemen.

50. Killed the F-22: In 2009, ended further purchases of Lockheed Martin single-seat, twin-engine, fighter aircraft, which cost $358 million apiece. Though the military had 187 built, the plane has never flown a single combat mission. Eliminating it saved $4 billion.
    The Obama administration killed the most advanced fighter aircraft program ever seen which had been in development for over 20 years after building only 187 jets. The minimum needed to be operationally effective was 339 according to the USAF. According to Wikipedia, the program itself cost $62 billion so saving $4 billion really isn't an awful lot in terms of the US Defence Budget. Now the F-35 will have to cover the shortfall in USAF stealth fighters; however, the F-35 was never designed to be an outright air-to-air platform (it's a jack of all trades, master of none aircraft with inferior A2A capabilities to the F-22). The F-35 program is also a heck of a lot more expensive (costing somewhere between $400 billion & $1.5 trillion), has had more development problems & isn't as stealthy as the F-22. Ridiculous quite frankly.

I'm certainly not saying I disagree with everything Obama did. I do think he was good man generally trying to do the right thing. I do think he's been a relatively weak President in terms of foreign policy; domestically, the Republicans outright blocked a lot of his reforms (at least in the second term) so party politics certainly hampered him. I was personally a McCain fan back in 2008 even if I perhaps agree more with the Democrats on abortion, firearms control & some other social issues.

TLDR - The Obama Presidency offered much but didn't really deliver anywhere near as much as many hoped. I'd also argue that the Obama sowed seeds that allowed Trump to unfortunately become President.
    I really don't care what he did I was just tryna introduce op to the wonderful bank of information on the Internet. But on the gadaffi point, I don't think the us should of supported the revolution.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't care what he did I was just tryna introduce op to the wonderful bank of information on the Internet. But on the gadaffi point, I don't think the us should of supported the revolution.
    Yeah, it wasn't my intention to aim my reply at you personally; you just got tagged because you provided the link (thanks BTW).

Regarding the Gaddafi point, I highly doubt many tears will be shed. The West's hand was somewhat forced by the Arab Spring style uprising; the options were either to let Gaddafi & his forces massacre civilians or get involved militarily to try to prevent this. I find the link below sums up how I feel about the Libya intervention:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/marka...-theyre-wrong/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    Yeah, it wasn't my intention to aim my reply at you personally; you just got tagged because you provided the link (thanks BTW).

Regarding the Gaddafi point, I highly doubt many tears will be shed. The West's hand was somewhat forced by the Arab Spring style uprising; the options were either to let Gaddafi & his forces massacre civilians or get involved militarily to try to prevent this. I find the link below sums up how I feel about the Libya intervention:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/marka...-theyre-wrong/
    Now I feel bad, didn't mean to word it like that, was late and I was tired . But yeah I guess it comes down to humanitarian issues but I'm sure there was another agenda regarding the new currency he was trying to introduce. Sometimes it takes a dictator to control these potential terrorist regimes but that link you sent also has some good points.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.