Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Long distance relatioships or nah ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Which one do you prefer? or which one are you having ?

I don't think anyone prefers LDR....

Currently in a LDR...it sucks

ReputationRep:
    Me and my girlfriend were in an LDR for two years before moving in with each other. We've been living together for a year and a half.

LDR was great because it meant that I had more free time during the week to do my own thing, but it sucked because my weekends would pretty much always be taken up and I wouldn't be able to see my mates. Also, only being able to see each other for two days out of a week isn't great.

Living together's great because we don't have to do the whole "you call me tonight, I'll call you tomorrow, and it wouldn't hurt for you to text me back a bit sharper" ********. Sucks because I rarely have time to myself. She was doing 12-8 shifts, so I'd get a few hours to myself very evening, but now she's doing 9-5 and gets back from work at roughly the same time I do. Still, she occasionally has to work a Saturday, and I generally stay up later than here at the weekends, so I make time for me as and when I can.

Tl;dr: pros and cons to both.

ReputationRep:
    living together - sex every day > LDR

(Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Me and my girlfriend were in an LDR for two years before moving in with each other. We've been living together for a year and a half.

LDR was great because it meant that I had more free time during the week to do my own thing, but it sucked because my weekends would pretty much always be taken up and I wouldn't be able to see my mates. Also, only being able to see each other for two days out of a week isn't great.

Living together's great because we don't have to do the whole "you call me tonight, I'll call you tomorrow, and it wouldn't hurt for you to text me back a bit sharper" ********. Sucks because I rarely have time to myself. She was doing 12-8 shifts, so I'd get a few hours to myself very evening, but now she's doing 9-5 and gets back from work at roughly the same time I do. Still, she occasionally has to work a Saturday, and I generally stay up later than here at the weekends, so I make time for me as and when I can.

2 days a week...in a LDR..that is pretty lucky...

She sounds like a clingy girlfriend...why can't you have some free time whilst living together...sounds so strange

ReputationRep:
    Think long distance can work, particularly if the distance allows you to see each other most weekends. Fridays are bliss, but Sundays are hell.

ReputationRep:
    LDRs are hard but doable if you are committed.

You have to see the positives, you get more freedom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truelover)
    Which one do you prefer? or which one are you having ?
    Currently I'm in a long distance relationship and yes it sucks for both parties to be in different countries but listen to this:

With LDR the hype (idk what other word to use) of each other seeing is extremely high, its like OMG THIS DAY WAS AWESOME and stuff like that.

LDR does mean less sex but tbh the sex with LDR is soo much greater.

idk this is my opinion, short distance relationship is like everyone's dream but tbh I couldnt have had met any better loving person overseas.

So yeah I hope you find that helpful
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I would never enter a long-distance relationship as it would be too troublesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)

2 years! it's really hard to maintain LDR for such a long time! kudos to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    2 days a week...in a LDR..that is pretty lucky...

She sounds like a clingy girlfriend...why can't you have some free time whilst living together...sounds so strange
    "Clingy" doesn't even begin to describe it, but she's gotten a lot better recently. I really like my alone time, and she's not always willing to give it to me, but it doesn't work out too badly seeing as I'm able to find time for myself in the evenings at the weekend.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.