Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing four a-levels, please answer the questions I have.
    1) How many hours do you study per day?
    2) Do you wish you hadn't chosen 4AS/A2?
    3) Would you advise someone to take 4 A-levels?
    4) Do you enjoy studying for a particular A-level you like? (or multiple)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dcc100)
    I do 4 a levels, particularly physics, maths, chemistry and biology. The hours i study everyday really vary. Generally in the first half of the year i might go up to 2-3 hrs per day but not really more than 2 hrs usually, and other days i literally just do homework or nothing at all but that's just when i'm lazy lol. Tbh now that i think about it idek why i took biology(as I'm gonna do an engineering course that has nothing to do with biology), and most universities just base their offers on 3 a levels. In the end its your choice, me personally i thought i would do 4 in AS then drop one in A2 but now I'm also doing 4 at A2. Sometimes i do wish i did 3 only as its much less stressful but i think its manageable. I enjoy physics and maths but mainly maths, chemistry not so much and biology i quite hate but I did well in its exam so I can deal with that.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    1) No set amount
    2)(AS) I do 4 and I don't mind it, it's a lot of work and less frees but it gives you more freedom so your not stuck doing 3 the whoe time
    3) Don't underestimate the workload and if you're struggling in on subject, the time and extra effort should come at the expense of some of your free time and not your other subjects. Get work done on time and be honest with yourself.
    4) I like all of my subjects

ReputationRep:
    I don't really set myself a certain amount, however it tends to be all my frees at college, 1-2 hours after school and I try to do as much as possible over the weekend.
    2) sometimes. I see my friends having significantly less work so they can focus more on studying, but really I don't know what I wouldn't have taken. I love all my subjects and I didn't want to limit myself.
    3) It depends. I got decent GCSE results so I was allowed to take them, but my college doesn't allow people with less than 72 points to take 4. I think if you're a dedicated student and enjoy your subjects, there's no reason why you can't do 4. However, you need to understand there's a lot of work involved and A*AA is better than AAAA. It's not necessary! But, it might be an option.
    4) I love studying for Philosophy. It's so easy because it's just memorising arguments. I find revising 4 okay because 2 are linear and 2 aren't. So, I can put some of my revision on hold while I focus on my other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    1. Not as much as I should! Like usually not at all. If I manage to push myself to do work I usually do 1-2 hours, but if I don't it's none. I should do more work, basically.

2. No, I'm very glad I did! I often get very bored during my frees and having even MORE spare time at college would be a nightmare. I also discovered that I really struggle with and dislike one of my subjects, so now I won't be stuck with it once I reach the end of the year.

3. Yes, definitely, unless you struggle with a large work load or you want a lot more free time when you go to college. (I don't struggle with workload at all, but my GCSE results were very good and I proved to my college through them that I could handle four)

4. I love three of my subjects! I took a while to warm up to Classical Civilisation and Ancient History, but I loved History from the beginning. I've had a rough ride with English Literature (plus I hate it) but I'm hoping that my mock results will show my teachers that I'll do better in Classics and they'll let me drop it.

ReputationRep:

1) Feck all
    2) No
    3) No, most unis (That I've seen) only look for three grades (Not counting EPQ), so the fourth is largely useless, unless you just think it's interesting/fun.
    4) Yes, Maths and further maths.

ReputationRep:
    I do 4 A levels, but did one complete A level last year. Got an A* in A2 Spanish. Im also doing Chemistry, Maths and Biology (got 3 A's in AS). I would advise you to do 4 A levels if you enjoy them. I know people doing 5 A levels who are doing fine with the workload because they enjoy the subjects and dont think they are sacrificing their "free time". Remember that its better to focus on 3 subjects and get good grades rather than doing 4 and getting mediocre grades. I would say its a very personal thing and you should look at your priorities... would you rather stay at home doing work or enjoy some time developing other aspects of your personality ( social life, volunteering, sports...). Tbh I think universities would prefer the latter. I dont regret taking 4 A levels because I was in the position where I had time to do both academics and extracurricular activities. I dont study everyday, but rather I do around 2-3 hours of work every other day. I enjoy all my subjects.

ReputationRep:
    1) I try to do 3
    2) I love my subjects but am considering dropping (pls help, I've made my own thread ahaha!)
    3) I would if you really enjoy your subjects and are okay with not going out every fri/sat! - unless you your are the few that can acc work the next day!
    4) I love mine! I do Maths FM Art and Physics and I think its the dream combo

ReputationRep:
    1) How many hours do you study per day? No clue. How many hours do I pretend to study? 3 hours
    2) Do you wish you hadn't chosen 4AS/A2? I would be screwed no matter what so.
    3) Would you advise someone to take 4 A-levels? Sure if you can think you can handle it and also handle wrestling a bear. it doesn't involve a bear but it's an added safety
    4) Do you enjoy studying for a particular A-level you like? (or multiple) let me get back to you when I do start studying

ReputationRep:
    I currently do 4 AS (biology chemistry psychology and maths core)
    In terms of hours I study it varies from day to day but I am always doing some kind of work so I'd say between 1.5/4 hours a day.

I am really enjoying chemistry and psychology at the moment due to the interesting topics and I enjoy biology too but there is just so much content!!

Sometimes I regret taking four due to the added workload but in the long run, it gains you an extra qualification.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.