Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've just booked to go to New York in the summer, AMA! Watch

• Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heptapus)
    If you plan on doing all the touristy things, would definitely recommend getting the New York Pass - it gives you access to a lot of the attractions (empire state building, rockefeller, statue of liberty, and more!) We did a boat trip around the whole of manhattan which was really cool!
    I've seen this sort of thing with travel agents such as Thomson's, but I hadn't seen this link - thank you! Oh wow, I'd love to do that. How long did you go for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    I've seen this sort of thing with travel agents such as Thomson's, but I hadn't seen this link - thank you! Oh wow, I'd love to do that. How long did you go for?
    We went for 6 days during New Years 2016 so just over a year ago.

I can't remember exactly what we did on which day but it was something like:
    Day 1: Grand Central Terminal tour, Wall Street, Brooklyn Bridge/Brooklyn
    Day 2: Madame Tussauds, (another museum where we saw stuff on the hunger games)
    Day 3: Walk up 5th Avenue, rent bikes and cycle around central park (really good but oh my days so exhausting),
    Day 4: Boat tour around manhattan island, Rockefeller Centre, NYE
    Day 5: Statue of liberty, Twin towers memorial + museum
    Day 6: Empire state building

Pretty much everything we did was on the new york pass (although I did buy some bits before arriving in NY because I was unsure on how busy queues would be, however probably would have gotten away without having to buy them before hand because queues moved very quickly)

It was a very busy itinerary but we managed to get pretty much everything we had planned to do done, but I would love to go again when it isn't so cold!
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    We went for 6 days during New Years 2016 so just over a year ago.

I can't remember exactly what we did on which day but it was something like:
    Day 1: Grand Central Terminal tour, Wall Street, Brooklyn Bridge/Brooklyn
    Day 2: Madame Tussauds, (another museum where we saw stuff on the hunger games)
    Day 3: Walk up 5th Avenue, rent bikes and cycle around central park (really good but oh my days so exhausting),
    Day 4: Boat tour around manhattan island, Rockefeller Centre, NYE
    Day 5: Statue of liberty, Twin towers memorial + museum
    Day 6: Empire state building

Pretty much everything we did was on the new york pass (although I did buy some bits before arriving in NY because I was unsure on how busy queues would be, however probably would have gotten away without having to buy them before hand because queues moved very quickly)

It was a very busy itinerary but we managed to get pretty much everything we had planned to do done, but I would love to go again when it isn't so cold!
    Brilliant! I'm going to nick this itinerary, use it and switch/add something things - cheers You should write a brief New York Guide, I'd love to read it :love:

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant! I'm going to nick this itinerary, use it and switch/add something things - cheers You should write a brief New York Guide, I'd love to read it :love:
    Haha - I have only been once! I don't think I am knowledgable to do so
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Haha - I have only been once! I don't think I am knowledgable to do so
    Once more than I have! I will write one when I get back. I just can't wait to go, June is too far away

ReputationRep:
    Once more than I have! I will write one when I get back. I just can't wait to go, June is too far away
    I'm counting the days until I fly off to Japan. So many exciting things begin from June :woo:
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm counting the days until I fly off to Japan. So many exciting things begin from June :woo:
    Where abouts are you going and for how long? :excited:

ReputationRep:
    Where abouts are you going and for how long? :excited:
    Haha well it is quite random:
    Beginning June - Fly out to Japan (Tokyo), train to Kyoto (then spend a week split in Kyoto and Osaka), back to Tokyo
    Mid June - Fly out to Korea for 5 days
    Beginning July - Back to England to graduate
    2 weeks apartment hunting in London
    Mid July - Fly out to Japan (yes again )
    End July - Fly back to England
    August - Prepare for adult life :nooo:

Ironically, I got the travel bug after going to New York
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Haha well it is quite random:
    Beginning June - Fly out to Japan (Tokyo), train to Kyoto (then spend a week split in Kyoto and Osaka), back to Tokyo
    Mid June - Fly out to Korea for 5 days
    Beginning July - Back to England to graduate
    2 weeks apartment hunting in London
    Mid July - Fly out to Japan (yes again )
    End July - Fly back to England
    August - Prepare for adult life :nooo:

Ironically, I got the travel bug after going to New York
    WOAH! That's amazing! Take loads of photos :love:

I've got the travelling bug already, it's going to get even more serious after NY :lol:

ReputationRep:

I've got the travelling bug already, it's going to get even more serious after NY :lol:
    New York just has that affect :love::love::love::love:

ReputationRep:

Will you be visiting the One WTC Observatory at the top of One WTC when you are there?

I did when I went to NYC back in 2015 and loved how the Brooklyn Bridge and the Statue Of Liberty looked like small toys from way up there! :zomg:

Also, will you be visiting the Bloomingdales and Macys department stores whilst you are there? I did whilst I was in NYC and the size of those stores made my nearest Tesco Extra store look tiny! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Advice:

- Book Statue of Liberty tickets early to get more than just a ferry ride, if you want to go up that is (I'm talking a few months in advance)
    - Take plenty of time to visit the 9/11 museum at Ground Zero. At least 3 hours, it's very extensive, and not something that should be rushed around.
    - WTC One is <3 Empire State Building is a rip off (Sorry)
    - Get a 7 day subway/metro pass to save money and time buying individual tickets

I've been a few times so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    It's been my dream to go to New York for ages, and my partner and I have finally booked to go in the summer! :woo:

Ask me anything about the trip booked or anything else! Have you been to New York of want to? Let me know your travel tips and where to go there if so
    My only tip would be to be careful of pickpockets.

I know there are lots of them that target tourists in most major cities but when I got off the shuttle in Manhattan after landing at Newark airport, I became a victim within 5 minutes. Luckily it was just half my holiday money.

Hope you enjoy your trip. It's a fab, buzzing city.

ReputationRep:
    Oooooh, I went to NYC last week and have one tip.

Do not give into people asking for money around the Times Square area, in fact don't think about reaching into your pocket anywhere except for in shops/cafes/restaurants. Even if some guy is asking for $50 to help starving children in Africa, do NOT give in. No legitimate charity will ask for $50 on the street. I had friends who fell into that trap and honestly it's ridiculous, walk away and if they start physically assaulting you (they shouldn't but still) just find a police officer. It will play on your mind but it's something you'll have to get used to.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and get a prepaid dollar card. If you purse/wallet gets stolen, you can just close the card and organise something there - therefore you don't lose any money.

ReputationRep:
    Just saw this on the daily mail. - made me chuckle

good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.