Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    is there a process to take a semester off at surrey?I just need a break and would like to have this semester that started on 6 feb off.

please help &thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelssSmith)
    is there a process to take a semester off at surrey?I just need a break and would like to have this semester that started on 6 feb off.

please help &thanks
    You would be best off talking to your tutor and/or student services depending on the reason why you'd like to take the semester off. It'll be a bit more difficult to figure out with the funding, but I'm sure they can help you work things out. If you contact the student services for your university, they might be able to give you more support and advice so that you don't need to take the semester off, but again I guess this really depends on the reason behind it
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelssSmith)

please help &thanks
    See the student regulations here:

96. A student who is in difficulties, with their studies or through personal circumstances, may apply to the Executive Dean of Faculty for the temporary suspension of their registration.

97. The period for which the University is prepared to allow suspension of registration for a student following a taught programme will not normally be longer than one academic year.

98. Where a student is unable to return to their studies at the end of a period of temporary suspension, and has not applied to the Executive Dean of Faculty for an extension to that period, their registration will be terminated.

99. Where a student's request for the suspension of their registration has been accepted by the Executive Dean of Faculty the student's access to University email systems will be maintained to assist contacts between the student, their Programme Leader and personal tutor and the Director of Student Services and Administration.

100. Exceptionally, a decision to temporarily suspend the registration of a student on health grounds may be taken by the Executive Dean of Faculty on the recommendation of a Fitness to Study Panel convened in accordance with the Regulations for fitness to study. Again, exceptionally, the University may suspend the registration of a student for a defined period where they are alleged to have acted in a manner that contravenes the University's Student disciplinary regulations.

101. Suspension of registration will be kept under review by the Programme Leader in consultation with the student and Director of Student Services and Administration. This will normally be through the University's email facilities and by post (see Regulations 86-88 above). Where a student's registration has been suspended they are not eligible to participate in their programme (including assessments and reassessments) before resuming their registration or re-registering.
    Depending on the reasoning for you needing a break, if it's because of something completely beyond your control you could also apply for extenuating circumstances.

I would assume that if you do suspend your registration temporarily, you won't be able to continue into the next year (i.e. you'll need to redo your current year again) given that you need 120 credits to advance and you can only get 60 credits per semester.

Hope that helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.