Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my options are coming up and in the future I would love to be an architect, I have been shadowing architects to see what their day-to-day jobs are. Also in the summer I am going to do some work experience. However I'm not sure about my options. I have to decide history or geography does anyone know which one would be better?

ReputationRep:
    Geography seems better to me, but I'm kind of looking at this from a superficial end. I don't know the details of being an architect and the reason I say geography is because of the mathematical elements to it, perhaps you could better identify locations? I don't particularly know.

Maybe History because old buildings look cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay Caz)
    Geography seems better to me, but I'm kind of looking at this from a superficial end. I don't know the details of being an architect and the reason I say geography is because of the mathematical elements to it, perhaps you could better identify locations? I don't particularly know.

Maybe History because old buildings look cool.
    Thankyou, this helped a lot I was leaning more towards Geography as I get better grades and enjoy it more.

ReputationRep:
    Both are good, I'd probably say history is more useful. I say this because you will have a module each year at university looking at the history of architecture, and having a good contextual or background knowledge of history can really boost your essays. However geography won't be tested directly and the type of geography you need for your design work is very basic for the most part. It won't make an ounce of difference though to your application strength so just do the one you will enjoy and do best in.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that both are equally as important as each other. It depends on your choice at the end of the day, but if you're leaning towards architecture I definitely think that Geography is the way to go. It will teach you about things relevant to architecture where as history will develop your mind to become more analytical which is another strong point. When balancing each of the subjects, I think Geography will benefit you more in the future as it it relevant to architecture, whereas history is not. I'm also a Year 9 student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomStudent_)
    I'd say that both are equally as important as each other. It depends on your choice at the end of the day, but if you're leaning towards architecture I definitely think that Geography is the way to go. It will teach you about things relevant to architecture where as history will develop your mind to become more analytical which is another strong point. When balancing each of the subjects, I think Geography will benefit you more in the future as it it relevant to architecture, whereas history is not. I'm also a Year 9 student.
    Couldn't be more wrong, history is definitely important to architecture.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm doin architecture and I chose geography at GCSE and a level. I just didn't like history. TBH either don't matter just depends on what you like more. There is a module on history and philosophy which is about like how architecture has changed over time but they don't teach that at gcse not sure about a level. There's also a module in building performance and technology that links in with geography so the choice is totally yours. Also, it might be wise to check online the uni you want to go to or the ones your thinking of if they have any specific requirements. Most don't but just in case. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farchitect)
    Couldn't be more wrong, history is definitely important to architecture.
    Well in fact, I personally believe that geography plays more of an important role. The reason behind this statement is because the author of this thread doesn't prefer history over geography. Geography is obviously more important as it teaches the students about gravity and it's influences against structures and even natural disasters which plays a pretty huge role when trying to make buildings earthquake proof. At the end of the day, it's opinion...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomStudent_)
    Well in fact, I personally believe that geography plays more of an important role. The reason behind this statement is because the author of this thread doesn't prefer history over geography. Geography is obviously more important as it teaches the students about gravity and it's influences against structures and even natural disasters which plays a pretty huge role when trying to make buildings earthquake proof. At the end of the day, it's opinion...
    I agree that it doesn't matter which you pick and that the main consideration is which you prefer and will therefore get the highest grade for.

However, your reasoning is just wrong and it is not opinion. Geography doesn't teach you about gravity, that is physics. Regarding the engineering of earthquake proof buildings (which you won't learn anything meaningful about in GCSE geography anyway), that is highly niche and therefore unlikely you would be concerned with it on most courses, and even if that was a project brief, an architecture student (let alone a qualified architect) would not be expected to understand or engineer a working earthquake proof solution; that is what engineers do and what consultants are for.

Whereas you will be expected on all courses without question to understand the historic and cultural influences of certain sites, and indeed be expected to produce essays on the subject.

In other words if the OP is equally capable and enjoys them both equally she/he should pick history. If she/he prefers one or is more capable at one over the other she/he should pick that one.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.