Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello fellow A Level students! I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm currently in my first year of Sixth Form and the subjects I chose were Computer Science, History and Psychology. In all honesty, I never really wanted to fully pursue any of these subjects while I was doing my GCSEs as I wanted to do something mathematics/science related (to study at University and become a neurosurgeon, astronaut etc. in the future). I had high ambitions and many career ideas but no motivation to work for it at the time (I can only blame myself). Because I could not do any of those subjects i initially thought I was going to do since under-performing in GCSEs and failing to meet the requirements to do them for A level, I chose the subjects where I believed would do good in. I want to go to Uni. I don't want to become a Psychologist, nor do I want to be a historian. Pursuing a computing related course at Uni seems like the best option, but a lot of courses require an A level in Maths. I know there are computing courses that also accept GCSE Maths, but I'm not sure what will be the best route for me to take, nor do I know where my weird A-level combination will take me. Any advice you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Most courses offer a foundation year for those who don't have the right a level subjects. Aim for the best grades you can get then apply for these foundation years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    like the person above me already said - there are foundation years available so aim for the highest grades in the subjects you are doing or drop out and pick different A levels?

Your subjects do seem like a nice set of A levels for a law degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fxlloutboyy)
    Most courses offer a foundation year for those who don't have the right a level subjects. Aim for the best grades you can get then apply for these foundation years

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I honestly had no idea these foundation years even existed! I'll look into it further, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    like the person above me already said - there are foundation years available so aim for the highest grades in the subjects you are doing or drop out and pick different A levels?

Your subjects do seem like a nice set of A levels for a law degree
    I don't think dropping out would help as my GCSEs are still there, meaning surely I still won't be able to choose the A-levels I would like to take since requirements won't change? Unless i'm wrong.
    But regardless, I am working my hardest to achieve high grades in the ones I am doing currently.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely look into foundation years, or have a look into computer science courses a little more. There are electrical engineering courses and things that like that might pique your interest. An alternative might be getting high AS grades then convincing your sixth form to let you pick up a science next year. If you want to do the full A Level, you could always take a gap year or something.

Have you asked your sixth form for advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karoomy)
    I don't think dropping out would help as my GCSEs are still there, meaning surely I still won't be able to choose the A-levels I would like to take since requirements won't change? Unless i'm wrong.
    But regardless, I am working my hardest to achieve high grades in the ones I am doing currently.
    you can retake your GCSEs along side your new A levels - some colleges take C grades and if you don't have that you can always take it privately (pay for the exam and study at home or something) if you're really set on medicine but yeah I think aiming for the highest in your current A levels is the best course of action, I'd call a few universities you're interested in and ask them for advice regarding your studies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.