Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I drop Further Maths? watch

• View Poll Results: Shall I drop Further Maths?
    Drop FM
    33.33%
    Keep FM
    66.67%

ReputationRep:
    I've got all of my offers now and none of them specify further maths. It's my 4th subject anyways and so it would be a lot easier to gain my needed A*A*A. However, I have basically already completed the course (Only Vectors FP3 and Matrices ) and it would be really helpful to know the information for my engineering uni course! People keep on telling me different things, please help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dengesgal)
    I've got all of my offers now and none of them specify further maths. It's my 4th subject anyways and so it would be a lot easier to gain my needed A*A*A. However, I have basically already completed the course (Only Vectors FP3 and Matrices ) and it would be really helpful to know the information for my engineering uni course! People keep on telling me different things, please help!
    It depends how good you are at it and the other 3 subjects. If you think you can handle all 4 subjects and get the grades you may as well as it will help in your uni course and as you've basically completed the course. But if you're in a lot of doubt about getting the grades, there isn't much point as you may end up disappointed if you knew you could gain the grades if you dropped further maths.

Sorry this wasn't really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizza4ever)
    It depends how good you are at it and the other 3 subjects. If you think you can handle all 4 subjects and get the grades you may as well as it will help in your uni course and as you've basically completed the course. But if you're in a lot of doubt about getting the grades, there isn't much point as you may end up disappointed if you knew you could gain the grades if you dropped further maths.

Sorry this wasn't really helpful.
    Aha, these are my thoughts exactly, I just have no idea how i'm really doing in my other three right now as they are all concept based and usually I get the ideas later on and do fine! Though this year might be different...

I just know that I'll kick myself if I don't get in because I was too stubborn to drop! But I really want to get something out of all of the work I did over the past 2 years..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by dengesgal)
    It would be a shame to drop something you are so close to completing. However, if it detracts from the subjects that form your offer(s), such that you may miss the requirements, then maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to drop it. Hopefully it won't come to that though, and that you will be able to complete all of your A-levels - you've done most of the work for FM anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    It would be a shame to drop something you are so close to completing. However, if it detracts from the subjects that form your offer(s), such that you may miss the requirements, then maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to drop it. Hopefully it won't come to that though, and that you will be able to complete all of your A-levels - you've done most of the work for FM anyway.
    I don't feel that it does actually detract from my other subjects and actually helps with my normal maths! Though of course, i'm not really taking into account general tiredness etc I suppose as I definitely have to work the most for FM. But thanks, I will keep it on!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.